• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2021 Six Nations] Italy vs Wales (13/03/21)

Seems unnecessarily risky - Wales could put out their 3rds and get the BP win,

Risking a number of players who are very injury prone in a nothing game is odd, considering they're going to be going into a grandslam decider against a strong France side a week later. I guess you don't want to go in undercooked, but you don't want to go in battered either

WGJ getting called up to hold tackle pads while Leon Brown somehow gets another international cap is absolutely mad as well - not that I'm complaining too hard, means we get him this weekend, and he remains EQP for another week (/few months, as I doubt he'll be involved vs France if he's not trusted vs Italy)

It's not exactly a nothing game though is it. I hear what you're saying and even agree to an extent but no game is a nothing game when a slam is on the cards.

Alos, I'm very keen to see WillGriff but Leon Brown has been doing some really solid work in the tight and loose so disagree with you a bit there.

I've only seen WGJ a few times so you probably know him a lot better than me (assume you're Sale fan?) but there has been question marks about his fitness at international level but I would've had him on the bench with Brown starting

Seems unnecessarily risky - Wales could put out their 3rds and get the BP win,

Risking a number of players who are very injury prone in a nothing game is odd, considering they're going to be going into a grandslam decider against a strong France side a week later. I guess you don't want to go in undercooked, but you don't want to go in battered either

WGJ getting called up to hold tackle pads while Leon Brown somehow gets another international cap is absolutely mad as well - not that I'm complaining too hard, means we get him this weekend, and he remains EQP for another week (/few months, as I doubt he'll be involved vs France if he's not trusted vs Italy)

It's always a balancing act... and pretty much everyone would have a slightly different skew.

Injuries are obviously a risk but conversely Wales have always been a team who improve depending on the more game time they have together. France in Paris is gonna be a massive ask, so some extra time to work on your combinations, defence etc... but in an actual test as opposed to training has its merits.

Then there are the teams 'other' nations have put out against Italy this championship... which were hardly symbolic of rotation.

I thought that pre-Anscombe&Biggar but I came around to Biggar closing a game out having studied it from the stands for 60 minutes as a great option when you have an ageing yet intelligent 10 like Biggar.

I think there are positives and negatives to both ways tbh... and maybe Sheedy finishing a game if chasing would be preferable, while Biggar playing the last 20 or so if already in the lead... obviously there is no way of knowing what a games scoreline will be when selecting the XV & VIII so it just comes down to preference. There is no argument that Sheedy has looked great in the final 30 of a game. I would be interested to see how a Wales team could start a test match with him at 10 though.
I think you know what you have with Biggar, I appreciate I haven't seen too much of Sheedy but, I lean toward a FH who plays what's in front of him, Sheedy does that better than Biggar I think.;)

I think you know what you have with Biggar, I appreciate I haven't seen too much of Sheedy but, I lean toward a FH who plays what's in front of him, Sheedy does that better than Biggar I think.;)
Well that's pretty much why I'd like him to get a start... at least against Italy.

Speaking of 10s, that's surely it for Evans then? He's only going to play if others get injured and has no chance when Anscombe and Patchell get fit.

Speaking of 10s, that's surely it for Evans then? He's only going to play if others get injured and has no chance when Anscombe and Patchell get fit.
Sounds like, if I was Evans I'd consider a move to England or France. If you ain't in the frame anyway, go and try and make a name for yourself in a league where if you succeed, you can't be ignored.

It's not exactly a nothing game though is it.

I've only seen WGJ a few times so you probably know him a lot better than me (assume you're Sale fan?) but there has been question marks about his fitness at international level but I would've had him on the bench with Brown starting
Yes? Italy are shocking, there's literally zero chance this game is competitive vs any combination of players Wales could put out

The claims about WGJ's fitness were very surprising - I think Steve Diamond mentioned in an interview how ridiculous they were as WGJ is insanely fit.
If they said he's not dynamic enough or whatever then fair enough, he's an old school type tighthead who is there to scrum and hit rucks, but he'll do that for 80mins without slowing down easy
I think it's more to do with WGJ being based in England and not being available for all camps - which seems to have worked, as he's now moving to Wales

Sounds like, if I was Evans I'd consider a move to England or France. If you ain't in the frame anyway, go and try and make a name for yourself in a league where if you succeed, you can't be ignored.
You wouldn't blame him would you. He's got no chance. So weird but there must be something that's gone on there that we don't know about.

Yes? Italy are shocking, there's literally zero chance this game is competitive vs any combination of players Wales could put out

The claims about WGJ's fitness were very surprising - I think Steve Diamond mentioned in an interview how ridiculous they were as WGJ is insanely fit.
If they said he's not dynamic enough or whatever then fair enough, he's an old school type tighthead who is there to scrum and hit rucks, but he'll do that for 80mins without slowing down easy
I think it's more to do with WGJ being based in England and not being available for all camps - which seems to have worked, as he's now moving to Wales

Yeah, when he was selected for the Scotland game I remember his first press conference and he was asked something like what do you want to get out of the experience of your first cap" and he just said "I'm just looking to smash people up to be honest" and I thought, I like this guy get him in.

Don't think anyone really knows what went on but the roumers about him not being fit enough seem legit as I think even WIllGriff himself has said how surprised he was when he was in camp with regard to intensity and fitness but like I say no one knows. Leon Brown is doing well though so I definitely will defend him but still keen to see WGJ play. No doubt he'll get his opportunity once he's back in Wales. I would take him on tour to Argentina for sure.

Interesting that people are talking about Rhys Priestland.

He was absolutely fantastic for us for a few years ..... and then I remember the press and social media hounding the bloke to the extent that he was actually booed onto the pitch once, and ended up leaving Wales to play in England. Cuthbert got the same treatment. I remember being appalled at the way he was being treated and wouldn't blame him if he stuck two fingers back at us all and said he was unavailable.

I don't think it's it at all for Jarrod Evans. He knows himself that he's got work ons, but he's got an excellent base to work off with a great attacking game and solid defense. He just needs to continue to improve his game management/kicking from hand and he'll force his way into the mix.

Wales are on the cusp of have more options at 10 than we may ever have had, with the likes of Coatellow and Lloyd real prospects. But Evans could still prove to be top of that pile if he works hard and proves himself on a consistent basis for Cardiff.

Imo Biggar's days are numbered in a Wales shirt. I think by next six nations he may find his gametime limited.

I don't think it's it at all for Jarrod Evans. He knows himself that he's got work ons, but he's got an excellent base to work off with a great attacking game and solid defense. He just needs to continue to improve his game management/kicking from hand and he'll force his way into the mix.

Wales are on the cusp of have more options at 10 than we may ever have had, with the likes of Coatellow and Lloyd real prospects. But Evans could still prove to be top of that pile if he works hard and proves himself on a consistent basis for Cardiff.

Imo Biggar's days are numbered in a Wales shirt. I think by next six nations he may find his gametime limited.

I've heard this game management stuff before but I don't really buy it. His game management looked brilliant against the scarlets prior to the 6N and in every game I've seen him play in. Sure, there's been times when I've questioned his decision making but this goes for any player. Same with his kicking out of hand, it's fine.

The one thing I have heard that I can maybe get is that Pivac isn't happy with the distance, or lack of, he puts on his kicks out of hand. I also get that they may have concerns about the stuff you say at international level but you're not going to know until you give him a crack on the international stage. I don't see what else he can do at regional level as he's clearly the best 10 in Wales, in my opinion.

I just think, considering what we know about pivac trying to get Priestland in, and the fact that Anscombe will be coming back with Patchell and we've got young 10s coming through on Costelow and Lloyd, that he's got very little chance of getting time under Pivac. He's out of contract at the end of the season I believe and I wouldn't blame him at all for looking for a payday in England or France as he doesn't seem to be in with a chance. Hopefully Pivac has put his arm round him and had a word assuring him he'll be going to Argentina but we'll see I guess.

is Pivacs job still on the line , this selection would make it seem like

Nah, he's safe now, for sure.

He said in his press conference that he isn't happy with the fact that this team hasn't put in a 80min performance which is a reason why he's gone strong, and for continuity but he must be safe now, job wise.

Lads, you've got a grand slam match next week. This is a tune up that's needed, three weeks off is enough time for inaccuracies to creep in.
Yup, the question of rotation is just a wee bit of fishing methinks ;)

Nah, he's safe now, for sure.

He said in his press conference that he isn't happy with the fact that this team hasn't put in a 80min performance which is a reason why he's gone strong, and for continuity but he must be safe now, job wise.
Well as you would well know to have an 80min game is as rare as rocking horse **** , I as well as you I'm sure have played in games and no matter what you do you cant seem to get a grip of it. So I would like to know what he classes as an 80 min performance, rugby is a game where you try to perform to your best while the opposition try to stop you and perform better.

Well as you would well know to have an 80min game is as rare as rocking horse **** , I as well as you I'm sure have played in games and no matter what you do you cant seem to get a grip of it. So I would like to know what he classes as an 80 min performance, rugby is a game where you try to perform to your best while the opposition try to stop you and perform better.

Yeah I agree but I can see where he's coming from in the sense that we've only put together phases of nice play especially from an attacking sense so o guess he just sees this Italy game (when we should have a lot more ball) as a opportunity to be more consistent in that area.

or is it just another way of saying we are not there yet , some signs but not quite there , in the 3 game there were times when it looked like we had lost it

Wales have manged to win 3 games but definitely still things to work on, although they do look to be getting better and better each game. Italy don't look great though, they were quite awful against Ireland, not much for Wales to learn, just need the win first then think about the bonus point.

Latest posts