• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2021 Six Nations] Wales vs England (27/02/21)

Right...

Faz is in a bad spot, but his peak is higher than anything Smith or Simmonds have demonstrated thus far... They are working to reach the level of his peak and are in better form, but he's not worse than them at his peak.

Again, in form Billy is fantastic. Both are a form issue rather than a quality one - both are world class on their day.
Smith and Simmonds playing better now than Farrell did at that point in his carrier I meant. So both have a higher ceiling and better long term potential. Farrell has been a very limited player in his skills, vision and pace where as those two could be better but we will never know if we don't try them.

I've usually preferred Farrell over Ford at 10 but I really think Farrell looks completely out of place at the moment. Really needs to be dropped.

Billy hadn't been world class for years and even then he would never have been the type of 8 I'd want in my team. He's not world class or even on the same page as piccamols or Parisse (sorry about those spellings).

I don't like this selection very much, but I am not surprised. To play devil's advocate a little bit I can sort of see some of what Eddie might be thinking even if I don't necessarily think its the right call.

He's got a squad of 28 players he can't just swap and change because of covid. The spine of his team (2, 4, 8, 9, 10, 15) are all largely out of form and most have barely played, I think the reason Billy Faz Daily and Youngs are basically undroppable it seems, is probably because EJ has cemented his entire world around this spine, who have it in them to all be very good players. They are his leadership group running the show in camp, in meetings, in games etc. When you listen to how players talk about guys like Ford, Faz and Youngs - they're almost player coaches within that England team. But all the sarries boys haven't played and Eddie backed them to find their form for international and its backfired big time. Now he's got the core of his team out of form and he couldn't bring in anyone new (bar injury) even if he wanted to (which he probably doesn't). So now his only hope is to back them to play their way into form, because if he benches them - then they will never get back to top level without the game time.

BUT that still doesn't change the fact that he made the decision to do all of these things. And refuses to select on form anyway etc. Hopefully having ford on will push the attack a bit. I think this game will start out an arm wrestle. Whoever fronts up physically, wins the kicking battle, keeps their accuracy - will win this game. So a typical England-Wales game and I will be on the edge of my sofa for all of it. Mustn't grumble chaps, its still 6mas after all!

The thing that really gets me, regardless of form, is the sheer number of penalties we concede and it's not even desperate last ditch ones to prevent tries or spattered about the game, it's completely braindead ones and we nearly always follow them up one after the other. Too many times we have been in the opposition 22 and a minute later are back defending our try line from 2 stupid back to back penalties. If we are going to try to play a controlling game we need our discipline to be better than our opponents. We spend most of our time trying to relieve the pressure from ourselves rather than applying it. At the moment it is worse and I wouldn't be all that surprised if we end up with a red card before the tournament ends either with some of the high shots English players have been making.

Well that's a lie.

Well, there's a lot of that going on in here. England fans pretending they want England to lose to cushion the blow in case they do. England fans saying no one ever chooses Wales with better options on the table , England never being outplayed due to playing a better team in Wales etc etc so just returning the favour my friend.

I just realised I'm busy during the match (well first half), I'm incredibly thankful for having to the unbenowest foresight to do that 4 months ago.

I can understand the sentiment that some fans wouldn't be too cut up if England lose this one. Things do seem to have stagnated, and some players waiting in the wings (Robson jumps to mind) don't seem to get a look in at a start no matter how well they play and how poorly their counterpart plays. Maybe another loss would force Jones to think again and open things up...but I wouldn't count on it.
But on the other hand this is a very strange time. Players are undercooked through lack of game time in general, and there has no doubt been a mental impact of Covid to bear in mind. Isolating players from family and friends that may have boosted them in the past. Christ, Marler didn't even want to take that stress on.
in terms of Wales, they've one two games, both against 14 men for a much of the game and they didn't have exactly blow their opposition of the park, so I'm not about to panic. They are still settling in, but will always give their all against England and we can expect a tough contest, although without the massive principality crowd singing them along they may not be as fired up as usual. AWJ will try to wind people up and play the ref, we know this and if any England player falls for it they need a slap.
May will have something to prove no doubt. I'm sure he won't want baby Zammit showing him up. Not sure if they're playing opposite one another. Hope they are.
Either way, looking forward to a day of garden labour followed by an early evening of beer a rugger. What could be better?

I can understand the sentiment that some fans wouldn't be too cut up if England lose this one. Things do seem to have stagnated, and some players waiting in the wings (Robson jumps to mind) don't seem to get a look in at a start no matter how well they play and how poorly their counterpart plays. Maybe another loss would force Jones to think again and open things up...but I wouldn't count on it.
But on the other hand this is a very strange time. Players are undercooked through lack of game time in general, and there has no doubt been a mental impact of Covid to bear in mind. Isolating players from family and friends that may have boosted them in the past. Christ, Marler didn't even want to take that stress on.
in terms of Wales, they've one two games, both against 14 men for a much of the game and they didn't have exactly blow their opposition of the park, so I'm not about to panic. They are still settling in, but will always give their all against England and we can expect a tough contest, although without the massive principality crowd singing them along they may not be as fired up as usual. AWJ will try to wind people up and play the ref, we know this and if any England player falls for it they need a slap.
May will have something to prove no doubt. I'm sure he won't want baby Zammit showing him up. Not sure if they're playing opposite one another. Hope they are.
Either way, looking forward to a day of garden labour followed by an early evening of beer a rugger. What could be better?

Theres a massive difference between not being to cut up if you lose to actively wanting your team to lose.

Of course English players never try and wind up opposition players do they. They never try and have a fondle of other players ******** or call other players gypsy boys or have fly half's who are always in the refs ear. Of course not. Oh no.

Well, there's a lot of that going on in here. England fans pretending they want England to lose to cushion the blow in case they do. England fans saying no one ever chooses Wales with better options on the table , England never being outplayed due to playing a better team in Wales etc etc so just returning the favour my friend.
That's really wound you up hasn't it? You've mentioned that point on a different thread. We all do it my friend, every country makes excuses. Be it playing poorly, the ref, food poisoning, fatigue etc, it's far easier and more palatable to provide excuses like that rather than simply accept the opposition are better.

That's really wound you up hasn't it? You've mentioned that point on a different thread. We all do it my friend, every country makes excuses. Be it playing poorly, the ref, food poisoning, fatigue etc, it's far easier and more palatable to provide excuses like that rather than simply accept the opposition are better.

Not at all. I find the double standards quite amusing to be honest.

I couldn't agree more with the rest.

Yeah because the Welsh fans never ever apply the double standards....

Is Eddie just deliberately hiding eveything so that in 2023 he can unleash the greatest, most unstoppable rugby side the world has ever seen?!?!
I think in an infinite monkeys and infinite typewriters scenario, that's exactly what Eddie thinks he's doing.

Play the same players infinitely and statistically it HAS to click.

1614332632822.png

"I find it quite amusing to be honest"

Latest posts