• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2021 Six Nations] Wales vs England (27/02/21)

So even if it wasn't you two in particular, I guarantee you that 'other' English posters would be queuing up to rationalise BOTH of those tries if they were scored by English players (for the record, I'm VERY surprised that both of them were allowed).
Rubbish. Against Italy I defended the May try but said the other 2 were lucky and could have been given as forward passes. I criticise England more than I defend them and you should really know that given the time we have both been on this forum.

So even if it wasn't you two in particular, I guarantee you that 'other' English posters would be queuing up to rationalise BOTH of those tries if they were scored by English players (for the record, I'm VERY surprised that both of them were allowed).
Sorry but ********, I'm pretty damn consistent in my view on refereeing decisions and have on numerous occasions called said England were lucky to gets try's I wouldn't of allowed and and we should of got YC's and RC's. I've had arguements with fellow Englishmen about them.

Really dude? There might be some gloating about getting away with it, but when Jiffy -JIFFY - is questioning the legitimacy of a Welsh score, something's up.
Because the BBC pay well and he wants to keep working for them

That really hasn't stopped him ever before he's probably the most one-eyed pundit out there, even in this match he sounded gleeful it had happened than being actually annoyed a bad decision had been made. Give Warbs his props for it.

Really dude? There might be some gloating about getting away with it, but when Jiffy -JIFFY - is questioning the legitimacy of a Welsh score, something's up.
As I've said previously... and you might have mised it it's cool, Jiffy often makes judgem which are arent in Wales' favour but due to his 'clear' want for Wales to win, his 'clarity' (I know I'll get crucified for this one but I'll die on this hill... **** it!) is quickly forgotten. Just coz he doesn't speak like a public school-boy doesn't mean he isn't fair... even if if he is clean his desires.

Yeah, if you turn a blind eye to all the other Welsh games he has commentated on...

He is biased. I don't begrudge him that, he is proudly Welsh and wants his team to win like any of us do but he VERY rarely outright says Wales are just getting the rub of the green and have done nothing to deserve their position. He certainly has never called the ref MOTM before for Wales.

Rubbish. Against Italy I defended the May try but said the other 2 were lucky and could have been given as forward passes. I criticise England more than I defend them and you should really know that given the time we have both been on this forum.

And this is exactly what I mean. I think England fans on this forum are more critical of England than any other fans. Call it arrogance due to excessive expectations if you like, but if we **** up, 30 fans are gonna call it out here in ~4seconds or less

Sorry but ********, I'm pretty damn consistent in my view on refereeing decisions and have on numerous occasions called said England were lucky to gets try's I wouldn't of allowed and and we should of got YC's and RC's. I've had arguements with fellow Englishmen about them.
Well sorry dude but (imho) you'd be pretty ******** wrong... sorry to break it to you.

That really hasn't stopped him ever before he's probably the most one-eyed pundit out there, even in this match he sounded gleeful it had happened than being actually annoyed a bad decision had been made. Give Warbs his props for it.
Make your mind up is he biased or is he now the most fair pundit going because he didn't agree with the ref :D

Well sorry dude but (imho) you'd be pretty ******** wrong... sorry to break it to you.
Please find one instance where I've argued for England to get something then argued the complete opposite for another side in a similar incident. (I don't expect you to this as that would be mad unless you can remember a specific instance).

Ummmm are you being deliberately obtuse?
Sorry didn't mean to wind you up :D Wales won son so just deal with it. On that note I'm off to my pit for a good kip before I once again fly out of the country.

Please find one instance where I've argued for England to get something then argued the complete opposite for another side in a similar incident. (I don't expect you to this as that would be mad unless you can remember a specific instance).
Clearly, and I am speaking generally (obviously) but there IS such an inherent English Echo-Chamber on here that it happens, whether you were involved or not.

As I have implied, personally I would not have given either try... but I am and always have been the rare... objective rugby fan (I know that 'sounds' like I'm bigging myself up but I honestly say that without ego having spent many a year on here seeing the common refrain).

From what I have witnessed... the VAST majority of English fans would argue for BOTH of those tries ... if they had scored them! All I'm saying is, don't be so shocked/offended when the 'perceived' lessers don't cry for you.

Sorry but 0% against actual opposition who pose a challenge (Italy just don't) goes beyond incompetence in my books. At a time when a team has 70-80% win ratio over multiple years but with a specific ref has a non-Italy win % of 0, that isn't incompetence, that is bias. It is so far against the trend that the probability of it happening by chance is likely extremely low. also in our games where he refs our penalty count is way higher than our average. This goes beyond Ireland with Barnes, this is literally is becomes impossible for us to beat any half decent side with him as a ref as we get reffed out of the game.

2 time off / time on cases within 2 years against the same team when he has not had that situation with any other team? Sorry, not buying it. That is something fully in his control and fully within his ability to pull back if he made a mistake, he did not do it either time. I mean FFS world rugby had to change the law on HIA to not allow play to resume until the replacement is on the field because of the bullshit this ref pulled on us and now 2 years later he is again pulling bullshit with telling 1 side and not the other when time is on, both times it's been England and under him we haven't beaten a single T1 nation. That is so against the grain it just cannot be called incompetence. The ******* ******* is biased as hell.
It's what, 3 games though? Barnes has reffed Ireland about nearly 20 times, and we average 2 more penalties with him, I doubt very much that he's biased but applying your argument to that trend and including the Stephen Ferris call in 2012, the entire Wales game in 2015 and his first half calls.against France in the Autumn and he's biased all of a sudden. In reality, he's cost Ireland at most 2 games, and apart from the we've just not been good enough when he refs.

Gauzere clearly doesn't control the clock well and it's very unlucky for England that it cost them twice but he also gave nearly half of those players today one of the easiest rides they'll ever have in a rugby match 6 months ago. I don't think anyone is wrong that there should be actions taken against him but having a go at his integrity is too far, he's just way out of his depth.

Clearly, and I am speaking generally (obviously) but there IS such an inherent English Echo-Chamber on here that it happens, whether you were involved or not.

As I have implied, personally I would not have given either try... but I am and always have been the rare... objective rugby fan (I know that 'sounds' like I'm bigging myself up but I honestly say that without ego having spent many a year on here seeing the common refrain).

From what I have witnessed... the VAST majority of English fans would argue for BOTH of those tries ... if they had scored them! All I'm saying is, don't be so shocked/offended when the 'perceived' lessers don't cry for you.
I don't mind that arguement but you specifically singled me (and ragerancher) out for it and that is what I took umbridge at. In fact I'm more surprised you went for him as well like I'd say he also one of the more fair England fans on being consistent in opinion about ref decisons. I'd say from a Welsh perspective you were to.

Actually these days there is barely a regular I don't think is fair most of the time natural biases aside sometimes skewing things.

NOTE: I actually haven't seen the knock on try it's why I haven't commented on it apart from pointing out how it's hard to say the best side one due to the wonky scoreboard pressure.

Here we go, definition of a knock on from world rugby laws.

"A knock-on occurs when a player loses possession of the ball and it goes forward, or when a player hits the ball forward with hand or arm, or when the ball hits the hand or arm and goes forward, and the ball touches the ground or another player before the original player can catch it."

Did LRZ lose control of the ball? Yes
Did it go forward? Yes
Did the ball touch the ground or another player before the original player can catch it? Yes

It went forward, then went back from his leg and hit Slade's leg. Therefore it is a knock on.

Earlier someone said we can agree the better team won. Yes Wales played better overall in that game to win. However the game would have been very different with those two tries and the pressure would have been on Wales. I know we can't say for certain who would have won, but two atrocious decisions affected the game massively and Gauzere should not be allowed to ref another international game after a performance like that.

Here we go, definition of a knock on from world rugby laws.

"A knock-on occurs when a player loses possession of the ball and it goes forward, or when a player hits the ball forward with hand or arm, or when the ball hits the hand or arm and goes forward, and the ball touches the ground or another player before the original player can catch it."

Did LRZ lose control of the ball? Yes
Did it go forward? Yes
Did the ball touch the ground or another player before the original player can catch it? Yes

It went forward, then went back from his leg and hit Slade's leg. Therefore it is a knock on.

Earlier someone said we can agree the better team won. Yes Wales played better overall in that game to win. However the game would have been very different with those two tries and the pressure would have been on Wales. I know we can't say for certain who would have won, but two atrocious decisions affected the game massively and Gauzere should not be allowed to ref another international game after a performance like that.
There's room for interpretation there though,

I don't mind that arguement but you specifically singled me (and ragerancher) out for it and that is what I took umbridge at. In fact I'm more surprised you went for him as well like I'd say he also one of the more fair England fans on being consistent in opinion about ref decisons. I'd say from a Welsh perspective you were to.

Actually these days there is barely a regular I don't think is fair most of the time natural biases aside sometimes skewing things.

NOTE: I actually haven't seen the knock on try it's why I haven't commented on it apart from pointing out how it's hard to say the best side one due to the wonky scoreboard pressure.
So I kinda figured that, as I started with: "So even if it wasn't you two in particular" that I would escape that particular 'trap' but obviously I'm still 'learning' to communicate in a 'foreign' language (you 'git' me though right?)?

Either way though I kinda think my argument ends with... 'that's how I feel if I'm H but if you fancy it by all means let's party?'...

Last edited:
It's what, 3 games though? Barnes has reffed Ireland about nearly 20 times, and we average 2 more penalties with him, I doubt very much that he's biased but applying your argument to that trend and including the Stephen Ferris call in 2012, the entire Wales game in 2015 and his first half calls.against France in the Autumn and he's biased all of a sudden. In reality, he's cost Ireland at most 2 games, and apart from the we've just not been good enough when he refs.

Gauzere clearly doesn't control the clock well and it's very unlucky for England that it cost them twice but he also gave nearly half of those players today one of the easiest rides they'll ever have in a rugby match 6 months ago. I don't think anyone is wrong that there should be actions taken against him but having a go at his integrity is too far, he's just way out of his depth.
Those 2 times to my knowledge also happen to be the only 2 times. Bearing in mind the instances in question aren't a case where the game is a bit chaotic and things can miss, they are instances where the game has stopped and the ref is in complete control over when it restarts. This ref has now had 2 restarts, one where we didn't even have our replacement HIA on the field and a second restart where he told the captain to speak to the team then called time on the second the captain did that.

These aren't cases of a ref getting it wrong in the heat of the moment but cases where a ref is the sole person on the field deciding when play starts and in FULL control of the game and 2 times back to back he has deliberately and illegally ****** England over. There are no excuses that can be made for this. He is under no pressure to let it go, nothing has happened at all in the game since the call of time off, he is in full control and both time he wilfully ****** us over with no warning. This goes beyond incompetence, this is something he and he alone had control over and he alone allowed to start. He wasn't reacting to a situation, in both cases he was the instigator by calling time on when it was completely inappropriate to do so. At the very least WR need to give him a stern talking to over how your restart time. They adjusted the rules once because of his bullshit, are they going to have to adjust them again because we have a ref wilfully bending the rules to breaking point against us?

Latest posts