• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2021 Six Nations] Wales vs England (27/02/21)

Well that was a first. Putting 40 points on England and we didn't even play that well. Oh how the mighty have fallen.

Joking aside, that was a weird game. Karma's a *****.

Just to point out, England's tries against Italy were marginal decisions, Wales tries against England were blatant and not even in the case of players breaking the laws but of the ref himself reffing the 2 sides differently. A world of difference. Yes he wasn't reffing today but he likes to give his opinion and it is pretty **** poor if he is at the centre of a week long campaign to see 3 English tries chalked off against Italy but merely goes "oh how unfortunate" in a game that could realistically have gone either way against Wales, especially as the Wales tries were far more controversial.

Absolute certainty against England in a fixture England were always going to win
Flimsy flip flopping "oh they were dubious" when England are beaten off the back of outright outrageous calls.

Simple question, just how many decisions in that game could Wales feel like they were hard done by? I would bet England could show more cases in the first 30 alone that were outright wrong than the Welsh could show were maybe not in their favour in the whole game.
Marginal or not I'm sure the Italians would have considered them to be outrageous calls. If we are going to be critical about dubious tries then there needs to be uniformity.

Congrats to Wales today. Shocking performance from the ref, but until the last 10 minutes we were still in it. Life goes on.

Is it OK to hope that France absolutely tank both Scotland and Wales?

As for JPtheDee, it's well past your bedtime.
DONT FEED THE TROLL.
Agree mate apologies gone and forgotten you'll not hear from me again got carried away take care everyone and stay stay healthy apologies again not my environment.

Wales absolutely deserved to win that game. They played better, their discipline was better, they 100% deserved the win at the end of the day. But that first try was an absolute farce and I really hope that World Rugby come out to condemn it as such. Wales would've comfortably won even without that try though.
Dude, I have much love for you and wish you all the best but those two tries in the first half would be argued against by any nations fan-base... but argued FOR by yous guys more than ANYONE, if England had of scored them.

I'd be ****ed too dude... but I've been ****ed... many of times and nobody... particularly not the RFU gave a ****. It'll happen to Wales soon... and every team... it's not fair... and certainly not right but if the annoying current decree 'it is what it is' is worth anything... it is this!

as I said, much love, I hold you in very high regard.

those two tries in the first half would be argued agai by any nations fan-base
Even Jiffy, I repeat: JIFFY, said no!

The knock-on was 50/50 - I think it's a knock-on because he lost control of the ball and that's the deciding factor (otherwise hacked on dropped passes could be declared drop goal attempts), but can understand the argument for it given so it's just one of those things

The first one is probably the worst call for a try I've ever seen, and only gets worse on seeing the replays

Marginal or not I'm sure the Italians would have considered them to be outrageous calls. If we are going to be critical about dubious tries then there needs to be uniformity.
Considering the level of bullshit the Italians have tried to pull against England recently, they wouldn't have much of a leg to stand on. They got away with severely injuring one of the players, taking a player out without the ball and a forward pass in their tries, all ignored of course. Italy at no point were in a position to beat England. The first Wales try was not just dubious, it goes way beyond that, it was the ref talking with 1 team and giving them information that he was not giving to the other. Wales knew that time was going on again, England didn't. That wasn't just incompetence or a marginal decisions, that was the ref actively choosing NOT to warn England that time was coming on at a point he could clearly see all their players were in having the captains talk that he himself had said they should have! Reminds me of the world cup warm up game where Wales got a try with England down to 13 because the ref allows Wales to continue the game mid HIA transfer, so an extra English player was off the pitch and the ref refused to let the English HIA replacement on the field.

Just checked it, IT WAS THE SAME ******* REF! This stupid ******* needs to be investigated.

Against Scotland when we were reffed off the park? Also Pascale Gauzere

3 games in a row with Pascale Gauzere where the penalty count has been heavily against England and 2 games where he has explicitly broken the rules himself to give and advantage to the team playing against England. This is a ******* joke. 3 game in a row he has reffed and we have lost all of them.

Look, I won't lie, if that Williams try was scored against us I'd be ****** off but we've been on the end of some dodgy ref decisions in the past against England and it is a bit of a grey area (which there's quite a lot of in rugby) so you win some you lose some.

Still finding it so weird putting 40 points on England and not playing well. Credit to England though, you're playing better.

Even Jiffy, I repeat: JIFFY, said no!

The knock-on was 50/50 - I think it's a knock-on because he lost control of the ball and that's the deciding factor (otherwise hacked on dropped passes could be declared drop goal attempts), but can understand the argument for it given so it's just one of those things

The first one is probably the worst call for a try I've ever seen, and only gets worse on seeing the replays
... and the funny thing is... even JIFFY has made statements which would go against Wales' particular score-line in the past. Thing is the anti-Welsh brigade will forget all of that and only remember any statements showing that he'd 'want' his nation to win.

As I said, I'd be ****** too... but as I also said, I've been ******... many of times... it didn't change ****!

Coz I'm sad, and drunk,'I've just timed the period from when the ref said to Farrel talk to your team and Biggar kicking the ball and it was almost 24 seconds.

we've been on the end of some dodgy ref decisions in the past against England
I keep seeing this sentiment, but...when?

The dodgiest Six Nations moments I can remember all involve Wales on the positive end of them - like that try vs Ireland in 2011 from the quick throw that was just straight up the wrong call, and the IRB even had to emphasise the laws to everyone so it wouldn't happen again, afterwards

Coz I'm sad, and drunk,'I've just timed the period from when the ref said to Farrel talk to your team and Biggar kicking the ball and it was almost 24 seconds.
How long between him telling him time was on, or indicating the penalty was going to be taken?

Last edited:
What an odd game. But the thing about rugby is that the right team always win. The game is too difficult and too technically complicated for against-the-run-of-play upsets like you get in, say, football or boxing. Even the games like Japan v South Africa saw the right team win on the day.

The ref didnt have a good day. The Knock on try I can sort of see, because Zammit dropped the ball (forward) onto his leg. By mistake admittedly, but isn't that technically a kick?

The quick kick for Adams' try was definitely wrong. England can feel very hard done by there.

They did very well to come back to be drawing the game, as they most certainly got on the wrong side of the ref. I thought they played easily their best rugby of the tournament so far, and looked very good in parts today. I don't usually rate Youngs but he had a very good game, Billy was back and Watson was excellent.

Farrell has an unfortunate way about him with referees, he doesn't seem to be able to engage well with them (Warburton, McCaw, Johnson engaged well with and influenced refs well, but Owen just is not good at it and it's a fundamental requirement for an elite rugby captain in my view)

Wales were just more composed, mentally tougher and you never saw them panic. I thought they played more heads up rugby and were certainly thinking more quickly and clearly at critical moments. They seemed to trust themselves more than England did. They were very clinical indeed, as they have been all tournament. The way they kept professional and pulled away at the end was the difference between the two teams.

At least it was a better game than a cakewalk against a tier 2 Italy and a Sunday cancellation!

Last edited:
He was travelling at 10 miles an hour. If the ball touches him anywhere the laws of physics say it's going forward.

Er, no

His leg was moving backwards as the ball hit it making it go backwards. It then hit the England players leg going opposite direction

Wake up

I keep seeing this sentiment, but...when?

The dodgiest Six Nations moments I can remember all involve Wales on the positive end of them - like that try vs Wales in 2011 from the quick throw that was just straight up the wrong call, and the IRB even had to emphasise the laws to everyone so it wouldn't happen again, afterwards

How long between him telling him time was on, or indicating the penalty was going to be taken?

I never heard him say time off in the first place but the clock did stop but at the end of the day the ref never indicated whether he was taking the 3 points (which England obviously assumed we were) and are given 24 seconds to talk to the team.

All Farrell needed to do was set the defensive line and shout "discipline" at his team (even though it was him that gave the pen away) when I first watched it I thought you were really hard done by but 24 seconds is a decent time especially as you knew the ref never indicated the 3 points was going to be taken.