• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2024 Six Nations] England vs Wales - 10/02/24

That's fair, my 7 and 8 double teaming have to complete the tackle really if we're being hyper critical, it's kind of their bread and butter.
Oh I agree 100%, Earl getting off the back of that scrum and away was criminal... but if that's Dan Biggar I think Wales survive. Let alone not concede the scrum in the first place.

E42111FF-6FE5-4503-8FBF-90C64CD3829C.jpeg

Can't tell if I'm missing an inside joke here or if loads of prominent rugby media genuinely think it's real. I'm guessing the latter with our tinpot sport

I actually think the Lloyd stuff is waaaaaay OTT. Did he have a good game? not particularly. Was he as bad as people are making out. Nope.

He looked like a player who's played half a dozen games at 10 which funnily enough he is. He's had 2 games in a wales shirt 1 encouraging 45 min performance and one under par one were perhaps the occasion got the better of him but this is a team littered with inexperience, it's not like he's slotting into a finely tuned machine is it, we're a borderline joke ffs.

I saw little in that performance to write him off just as I saw little in his debut under Pivac that deserved the treatment he got then (thrown out and forgotten about for 3 years, he could've come on quite well in the last 3 years perhaps if we acted differently)

Personally I would've had Jarrod Evans in the squad but this is pipe dream stuff, Gatland doesn't like him and the options we have at the moment are Lloyd, Costelow and Cai Evans. Costelow might not even be fit and I sure as **** don't want to play Cai Evans at 10 so I would stick with Lloyd for sure 100%. As I say he's played a handful of games at 10 in big boy rugby, he's not going to turn into Richy Mo'unga over night. If he's playing like yesterday over a consistent period then we can have another conversation but some of the flack he's getting at present is unfair in my humble opinion.

I actually think the Lloyd stuff is waaaaaay OTT. Did he have a good game? not particularly. Was he as bad as people are making out. Nope.

He looked like a player who's played half a dozen games at 10 which funnily enough he is. He's had 2 games in a wales shirt 1 encouraging 45 min performance and one under par one were perhaps the occasion got the better of him but this is a team littered with inexperience, it's not like he's slotting into a finely tuned machine is it, we're a borderline joke ffs.

I saw little in that performance to write him off just as I saw little in his debut under Pivac that deserved the treatment he got then (thrown out and forgotten about for 3 years, he could've come on quite well in the last 3 years perhaps if we acted differently)

Personally I would've had Jarrod Evans in the squad but this is pipe dream stuff, Gatland doesn't like him and the options we have at the moment are Lloyd, Costelow and Cai Evans. Costelow might not even be fit and I sure as **** don't want to play Cai Evans at 10 so I would stick with Lloyd for sure 100%. As I say he's played a handful of games at 10 in big boy rugby, he's not going to turn into Richy Mo'unga over night. If he's playing like yesterday over a consistent period then we can have another conversation but some of the flack he's getting at present is unfair in my humble opinion.
I get where your coming from, and I agree with your sentiment on him needing time...

But that HAS to be at regional level, same with Costelow and Cai Evan's, none are good pros, let alone international standard. They need a season or 2 to become decent club players first.

I'd rather we convince Biggar to return for 12 months, or Patchel, Anscombe, Evans, Sheedy, hell I was chatting to Rhys preistland in the gym a few days ago, I'd prefer a season of him!

Lloyd didnt have a difficult game yesterday, because of an inexperienced team under pressure, he showed a total lack of physical, technical and tactical ability.

His defence was poor, but you can allow a young small inexperienced 10 that, but what you cant allow is his inability to kick a rugby ball more than 30 yards. In a game littered with 70 yard booming boots, we cannot afford such a weakness. His restarts were awful, he kicked too long for a challenge, his cross field was flat awkward...

He also couldnt run basic structures in attack, leaving the always frantic Tompkins extra wild and useless. He should have played flat and brought players on, but after a few contacts on him he dropped deep, to keep himself safe and was virtually wincing.

He also, while down to 13 men gave away an inexcusable scrum under his own post while trying to decide which way to run it out from, then was run over for the try. That 5 points was all Lloyd.

So it wasnt just a bad day, it was a total inability to perform at this level, at my very kindest I would say he needs 50 club games under his belt before relooking at him

His defence was poor, but you can allow a young small inexperienced 10 that, but what you cant allow is his inability to kick a rugby ball more than 30 yards. In a game littered with 70 yard booming boots, we cannot afford such a weakness. His restarts were awful, he kicked too long for a challenge, his cross field was flat awkward...
Schrödinger's 10.

Can't kick the ball far enough while kicking the ball too far.

I get where your coming from, and I agree with your sentiment on him needing time...

But that HAS to be at regional level, same with Costelow and Cai Evan's, none are good pros, let alone international standard. They need a season or 2 to become decent club players first.

I'd rather we convince Biggar to return for 12 months, or Patchel, Anscombe, Evans, Sheedy, hell I was chatting to Rhys preistland in the gym a few days ago, I'd prefer a season of him!

Lloyd didnt have a difficult game yesterday, because of an inexperienced team under pressure, he showed a total lack of physical, technical and tactical ability.

He also couldnt run basic structures in attack, leaving the always frantic Tompkins extra wild and useless. He should have played flat and brought players on, but after a few contacts on him he dropped deep, to keep himself safe and was virtually wincing.

He also, while down to 13 men gave away an inexcusable scrum under his own post while trying to decide which way to run it out from, then was run over for the try. That 5 points was all Lloyd.

So it wasnt just a bad day, it was a total inability to perform at this level, at my very kindest I would say he needs 50 club games under his belt before relooking at him
He didn't show an inability to perform at this level when he came on against Scotland (though he made several mistakes in that 45mins as well)

I agree he does need more games at 10 but that's because he's only played a handful of games at 10, all his other pro experience is anywhere but 10. Most young 10s making their international debut have probably nearing 100 club games under their belt (how many did Marcus Smith have at Quins and I've seen him play for England and think is he international quality - I think he is for what it's worth but you get my point)

At the end of the day Gatland has picked who he's picked and at the moment against Ireland it's one of Costelow (if he's fit) Lloyd or Evans. For me, I'm sticking with Lloyd and hope he's a fast learner.

I wasn't a fan of appointing Gatland on a long term basis but he was saying all the right things after that loss. I just hope he's true to his word but talk is cheap.

Tbf I think he means kicked to long to contest (which he did). His restarts were poor as well tbf.
I think we all know that bud, our dear friend Filthy Haz did come on here recently and make out he had some unique insights of the game and generally coming across as an out and out WUM, makes him fair game.

His defence was poor, but you can allow a young small inexperienced 10 that,
For me, I'm sticking with Lloyd and hope he's a fast learner.

Missed tackles and bad reads are one thing - not wanting to know is quite another. Ian Humphries was the same with us - you'd be safer if he stood on the sideline as your making decisions expecting your mate to put his shoulder to the wheel and at least try to make the hit - then he goes and jumps out of the road.

Not sure if such a terrible attitude can be fixed in a week.

If Lloyd is playing against Ireland, what do you think Bundee Aki is gonna do to him?

Schrödinger's 10.

Can't kick the ball far enough while kicking the ball too far.
I mean it's notrocket science...

If you cant kick a ball 40 yards your a weak kicker, but if you drop it 30 yards and 15 yards in front of a chaser you've kicked too long.

I think we all know that bud, our dear friend Filthy Haz did come on here recently and make out he had some unique insights of the game and generally coming across as an out and out WUM, makes him fair game.
WUM...

Someone who cherry picks a quote out of context, then lies about said quote like a daily mail journo...

Missed tackles and bad reads are one thing - not wanting to know is quite another. Ian Humphries was the same with us - you'd be safer if he stood on the sideline as your making decisions expecting your mate to put his shoulder to the wheel and at least try to make the hit - then he goes and jumps out of the road.

If Lloyd is playing against Ireland, what do you think Bundee Aki is gonna do to him?
To be fair, Hogg was one of the best in the world at stepping out of a tackle while dramatically making it look like he was trying to make the tackle lol so it can be done

I personally would write off both Costello and Lloyd this season, tell them to go back to the scarlets and get game time. The issue with that is that is they both compete for the same position, and the coaching set up my stagnate their development.

Cai Evan's has to start v Ireland. It's onething to get beaten up under pressure, or to struggle, but to consistently miss restarts, kick a ball not to allow a contest, or to kick 18m into touch, that's inexcusable. One of them should have hit a decent kick by sheer luck in one of those games.

When playing this Ireland team in Dublin, or anywhere for that matter, Aki on Lloyd is quite far down the list of concerns and it's a pretty big list tbf.

WUM...

Someone who cherry picks a quote out of context, then lies about said quote like a daily mail journo...
You couldn't be further from the truth, maybe time to find some new material? What lie is this? You make a semi contradictory statement in the same post implied that Englands pack were knackard and the 13 man effort would take its toll, but then said in the next paragraph you could see a dramatic improvement, I simply rolled with the first TIC, hardly my definition of a lie, you also posted for some clarification then proceeded to quote again with me making no post in between. I'm not the first to consider you a WUM but we both know this and how you like to think you have some kind of superior rugby intellect.

Latest posts