English Arrogance
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Sale
Screenshot 2024-02-05 at 09.31.31.png

After a weekend of Guinness, I think I'd like to see the exact same team again for this week. There were things I liked and things I didn't but overall if we don't start to build some continuity we'll never progress.

I'm guessing M Smith is out again this week or I'd maybe start him over Ford.

I'd bin off Daly (any of IFW/Muir/Roebuck to start) and put Furbank on the bench, also swap Smith/Ford around, but other than that probably the same

Didn't like the backrow last week but feel like that was probably tactics rather than personnel seeing as Earl and Underhill are both very good at the breakdown

I'd bin off Daly (any of IFW/Muir/Roebuck to start) and put Furbank on the bench, also swap Smith/Ford around, but other than that probably the same

Didn't like the backrow last week but feel like that was probably tactics rather than personnel seeing as Earl and Underhill are both very good at the breakdown

I think that's fair.

My impression watching live was that we actually competed quite a lot at the breakdown but couldn't quite turn over. I'd have to watch again to sense check that - and I'm really not going to.

At 10 I got the logic behind Ford, but if your 9, 12 and a roving winger are all Saints I think we just have to bite the inexperience bullet with F Smith.

I'm guessing M Smith is out again this week or I'd maybe start him over Ford.

I think likely to be out for most, if not all, of the tournament.

I'd go the same, but swapping Smith and Ford, Daly for anyone and CCS for Dombrandt on the bench

Yeah I didn't think the backrow worked that well as a unit and I'm not sure Itoje and Chessum work as a combo either.

Also not a huge fan of Daly. But with all the changes we surely need a bit of continuity for a very up for it wales!

I'd go the same, but swapping Smith and Ford, Daly for anyone and CCS for Dombrandt on the bench

Would be extremely disappointed by that.

CCS impressed in his cameo and deserves the chance to build on that. If not against Wal then who? The definite future and can play 6 / 8.

Dombrandt's just going to have to be patient. And there's no M Smith around which also weakens the case for him.

Dombrandt's the better footballer. Not saying he's a luxury player, but Borthwick's unquestionably looking to power up the pack and that's much more CCS's game.

Would be extremely disappointed by that.

CCS impressed in his cameo and deserves the chance to build on that. If not against Wal then who? The definite future and can play 6 / 8.

Dombrandt's just going to have to be patient. And there's no M Smith around which also weakens the case for him.

Dombrandt's the better footballer. Not saying he's a luxury player, but Borthwick's unquestionably looking to power up the pack and that's much more CCS's game.
I'm still yet to be convinced CCS is ready for this level tbh, he's not going to change a game from the bench IMO, but Dombrandt might

I'm still yet to be convinced CCS is ready for this level tbh, he's not going to change a game from the bench IMO, but Dombrandt might
Yeah, I feel like I missed something with his performance the way the press and social media are waxing lyrical about it
Don't get me wrong - he looked energetic and did as well as you'd want from a 20yr old debutant, but 2 carries (one knocked on) and 5 tackles (one missed) isn't worthy of the praise he's been getting

I'd keep him in the side this week (for me Dombrandt starts or isn't in the side) but a lot of people are acting like CCS was a standout in the side - just setting him up for failure if he doesn't reach these heights they've already decided he's at

Yeah, I feel like I missed something with his performance the way the press and social media are waxing lyrical about it
Don't get me wrong - he looked energetic and did as well as you'd want from a 20yr old debutant, but 2 carries (one knocked on) and 5 tackles (one missed) isn't worthy of the praise he's been getting

I'd keep him in the side this week (for me Dombrandt starts or isn't in the side) but a lot of people are acting like CCS was a standout in the side - just setting him up for failure if he doesn't reach these heights they've already decided he's at

I think that's fair.

CCS is a potential play, but the potential is very obvious. He's 20 so obviously has a lot to learn, but he has the tools and think what he might be like in 3 or 4 years if invested in.

There's no precise art in developing youngsters. Very individual thing - some need very careful handling and a slow introduction until they're "ready", others will deal better with being thrown straight in. Gut reaction is that CCS is in the latter camp. For this 6N I'd keep him on the bench, let him do what he does and only swap if he genuinely starts to look out of his depth.

If you're turning it into a head to head. Dombrandt's had a few chances and never really taken them. Turns 27 in April and hasn't fully convinced yet. Is he now likely to?

I do think the CCS hype is based on his break down the wing. It was good but he was completely fresh against a tired team. If say keep him on the bench but perhaps bring him on earlier.

View attachment 18914

Let us at least pretend, until Thursday, that SB is capable of growth
If the report above is true then the team needs consistency of selection to get to grips with them...i think the only changes that would force a change is if Manu or Lawrence was available.

Does the turncoat make the matchday 23?

I predict a thrilling 16-9 win to England with both sides kicking the leather off the ball.

Hard to say what team we'll pick as Gatland is unpredictable and stubborn. Any sane person wouldn't start Gareth Davies, Costelow or Watkin and we should have Rowlands back as well as George North.

There's not much between us, we're probably a little bit more **** than England but not by much and seeing as Scotland should've put us away but didn't makes me think we could make this one a close game too but I'm not holding my breath.

Latest posts