• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2024 Six Nations] Scotland vs France - 10/02/24

Does "competing with" mean something different in Munster?
It's a new one to me that means "must beat at home"

A 4-point loss which hinged on a ref's interpretation seems a pretty good definition of "competing with" to me.

A 4-point loss which hinged on a ref's interpretation seems a pretty good definition of "competing with" to me.
In this instance Scotland were more than competitive, it would be fair to say they were not really competitive in the pool games they lost in the WC though.

Not liking this. I get that you might be upset, but all this does is undermine the refs. Yes they are not perfect and we would like to see more consistency, but getting WR to publicly apologise when they make a mistake is not the way to do it. Discuss this in private if needed, but nit public.

Not liking this. I get that you might be upset, but all this does is undermine the refs. Yes they are not perfect and we would like to see more consistency, but getting WR to publicly apologise when they make a mistake is not the way to do it. Discuss this in private if needed, but nit public.
Maybe they've been reading and believing The Rugby Paper which seems to think that the loser of most matches "demands the match be replayed" despite no-one other than TRP's headline writer even thinking about it as an option

Pic is hilarious. The hands, the facial expression, the shoulders.
priceless.

1707841911336.png

No competing is if you are serious of winning/challenging for a tournament then you should be beating teams that are way below their best when you are at home.

I suppose standards differentiate per country. In Munster we loose to Leinster by 4/5 points at home. It's not competing it's "We are still well off".
Because it was a 2nd string Leinster and we were at home. So I suppose competing in my eyes is with an aim to winning. Where you are from obviously is just tagging along. Each to their own.

Elephant in the room.

But what do they actually want an apology for?

- The Ref who initially couldn't see a grounding and was correct calling it as held up.
- The TMO who still can't overturn without 100% evidence which still isn't there so was 100% correct.

Gregor trying to be the Rassie of Europe. Crying about refs weekly. Wait until he brings out the projector,

I mean they can admit they got that specific decision wrong, while going on to highlight they got the VDM try saver decisions wrong too...

Result would have been the same

Yeah I hate this.

I mean they can admit they got that specific decision wrong, while going on to highlight they got the VDM try saver decisions wrong too...

Result would have been the same
They haven't got it wrong though have they? They have reffed it as it has been in recent times, ref doesn't have a grounding, plenty of evidence to show the probability the ball was grounded but unless footage exists I am unaware of, there is no evidence to put this at 100% over the line grounded.

Yet how long did it take the SRU to apologise over Siobhan Cattigan. They thought about suing the World Rugby at the Japan RWC. Dispite it being about the weather and risk to life.

Likable bunch the SRU.

They haven't got it wrong though have they? They have reffed it as it has been in recent times, ref doesn't have a grounding, plenty of evidence to show the probability the ball was grounded but unless footage exists I am unaware of, there is no evidence to put this at 100% over the line grounded.
This is my view. Why apologise when they weren't wrong.
I'm more amused the Scots don't seem to know rules. As you say the probability is it did go down but 100% clear evidence needed to overturn it. And like you I have yet to see this.
SRU should be the ones apologising for not knowing rules and looking for excuses.

@Saintjay I know this case well as brain injuries are what I have done extensive courses in from being physio in a sport like rugby. And the more I hear stories of SRU the more you nearly do believe they are very negligent and in a way fail in many ways.

The case you refer they were very slow to apologise and even then it was hollow enough. And in report above they are whinging yet still can't see what refs did wrong and then at end say we don't want to sound like sore loosers. But they are sounding that way and questioning refs for 2 weeks I think is papering over issues they have. Think Townsend has hit his peak there

Yet how long did it take the SRU to apologise over Siobhan Cattigan. They thought about suing the World Rugby at the Japan RWC. Dispite it being about the weather and risk to life.

Likable bunch the SRU.
I understand the sentiment, but I cant accept Siobhans name being used in this manner. What happened to her was a tragedy, and her dignity should be maintained at all times!

This is my view. Why apologise when they weren't wrong.
I'm more amused the Scots don't seem to know rules. As you say the probability is it did go down but 100% clear evidence needed to overturn it. And like you I have yet to see this.
SRU should be the ones apologising for not knowing rules and looking for excuses.

@Saintjay I know this case well as brain injuries are what I have done extensive courses in from being physio in a sport like rugby. And the more I hear stories of SRU the more you nearly do believe they are very negligent and in a way fail in many ways.

The case you refer they were very slow to apologise and even then it was hollow enough. And in report above they are whinging yet still can't see what refs did wrong and then at end say we don't want to sound like sore loosers. But they are sounding that way and questioning refs for 2 weeks I think is papering over issues they have. Think Townsend has hit his peak there
I have to disagree here, I've worked within the SRU for a few years, and they have always prioritised player welfare. I cant tell you the amount of Game first aid, Concusion and brain injury training I've sat on with Dr Robson. They have put far more emphasis than other governing bodies I have worked for!

I understand the sentiment, but I cant accept Siobhans name being used in this manner. What happened to her was a tragedy, and her dignity should be maintained at all times!

It's a shame more people weren't saying this to the SRU at the time not years later on an Internet forum.

Yes it was a tragedy. The lack of respect and dignity shown by your empoyers was appalling both to her and her family.

Her dignity won't be maintained if all conversation about how badly the SRU failed her, and how bloody awful there priorities are is shut down. It smacks of "Don't talk about that, it makes us look bad". The most undignified thing you can do is let someone fall from memory. Let's no forget it took the SRU 18 months to even remember her in a dignified manner. Priorities!

Last edited:
I have to disagree here, I've worked within the SRU for a few years, and they have always prioritised player welfare. I cant tell you the amount of Game first aid, Concusion and brain injury training I've sat on with Dr Robson. They have put far more emphasis than other governing bodies I have worked for!
Maybe and this isn't an attack on any individual but that unfortunate case is 1 of a few stories I have heard from SRU. Concussion isn't just a "pass RTP protocol and healed" process. That is where alot of failings are. Not in the proceeding days but weeks and months.
But their handling of the cases as a whole has been bad too. Like little remorse or responsibility taken and a case of "we're only wrong after we have blamed everything else"

Latest posts