• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2024 Six Nations] Scotland vs France - 10/02/24

Ah the predictable Scotland bashing culprits arrive, probably the same ones who thought Ireland were going to win a WC…..

While I accept the process and the way it was applied (generally), it seems mad that there is evidence of the ball being on the ground and no try awarded. TMO flip flopping is not a good look either for the game.

And to those who say "oh well it was a last gasp attempt to win the game from Scotland" that is neither here nor there, if in the 9th or the 79th minute you score then you score. An extra time goal in football isn't slammed because the whole game was stuck at 0-0. Incorrect officiating can define outcomes, and when there is plenty ways of making sure this doesn't happen it is very disappointing to see.

Frustrating but it's not te first nor the last time this will happen in sport. Just have to move on to the next match.

Congratulations to France, it's a good win on the road for them and gets their tournament started.

Ah the predictable Scotland bashing culprits arrive, probably the same ones who thought Ireland were going to win a WC…..

While I accept the process and the way it was applied (generally), it seems mad that there is evidence of the ball being on the ground and no try awarded. TMO flip flopping is not a good look either for the game.

And to those who say "oh well it was a last gasp attempt to win the game from Scotland" that is neither here nor there, if in the 9th or the 79th minute you score then you score. An extra time goal in football isn't slammed because the whole game was stuck at 0-0. Incorrect officiating can define outcomes, and when there is plenty ways of making sure this doesn't happen it is very disappointing to see.

Frustrating but it's not te first nor the last time this will happen in sport. Just have to move on to the next match.

Congratulations to France, it's a good win on the road for them and gets their tournament started.
No bashing intended here but I didn't see a definitive shot that clearly demonstrated grounding, yes I would agree there are angles that demonstrated that it almost certainly was but that isn't now enough based on the refs initial question. I do agree the TMO should have remained quiet until he had a definitive yes or no answer though. I can completely understand and sympathise and were I a Scottish fan I think I would probably feel aggrieved, with that said across the balance of the game I don't think Scotland were really 'hard done by' DVM was probably lucky not to get 10 mins in the bin and a PT, it's also unclear how Scotland came into possession originally on the final passage, at the time I thought it a little suspect.

I think thats a f*kking great result for Scotland.

That'll feed the main national pastime for literally generations.

In 60 years time little Hamish will turn to grandpa Jock and ask "were you there grandpa the day the Irish TMO screwed Scotland from winning the grand slam?"
Grandpa Jock will roll off the senility, twist his face into the traditional gurn and say "I was m'boy. He did it to demotivate us against Ireland as he feared our mighty bravehearts. We'd have won the World Cup just before it if the TMO had sent Jesse Kriel off as he rightfully should. Scotland are always done by the officials m'lad."

In 60 years time little Seamus will turn to Grandpa Paddy on the outskirts of Dublin and ask "Why have Ireland still not got past a RWC QF Grandpa? Even Scotland have managed to get to a semi-final". Grandpa Paddy pauses and takes a sip of his favourite Irish single malt but it goes down the wrong way and he starts to choke. The choking eventually subsides and little Seamus says "I'm still waiting for an answer Grandpa" to which Grandpa Paddy replies "I just answered the fekkin question right there son".

Little Seamus continues "Grandpa, you always taught me that it was the Jocks who moan about the officiating but you're always complaining about someone called Wayne Barnes". Grandpa Paddy replies "That's right son, we lost a QF back in 2023 to NZ not because Wayne Barnes was the referee that day but because he's an English ****. We've never trusted the English since double agent Andy Farrell pretended to be one of us and then after a few years in charge screwed us over by wrecking a golden generation of talent and picking mostly Englishmen for the 2025 Lions tour".

Not bashing but I have yet to.see the clear evidence of the ball on the ground and literally touching the grass and downward pressure.
The 100% proof. As that is what is needed.

And the bashing of Scotland was more in relation to they said themselves they are up their with best in world.
That needs to be backed up. That where the comments on leaving it late. Against a poor French team at home you are ruthless if worldclass.

As for TMO flip flopping. Can I ask on what grounds could he have overruled on field call. Like I'm hearing alot commenting on TMO but what could he have done

In 60 years time little Seamus will turn to Grandpa Paddy on the outskirts of Dublin and ask "Why have Ireland still not got past a RWC QF Grandpa? Even Scotland have managed to get to a semi-final". Grandpa Paddy pauses and takes a sip of his favourite Irish single malt but it goes down the wrong way and he starts to choke. The choking eventually subsides and little Seamus says "I'm still waiting for an answer Grandpa" to which Grandpa Paddy replies "I just answered the fekkin question right there son".

Little Seamus continues "Grandpa, you always taught me that it was the Jocks who moan about the officiating but you're always complaining about someone called Wayne Barnes". Grandpa Paddy replies "That's right son, we lost a QF back in 2023 to NZ not because Wayne Barnes was the referee that day but because he's an English ****. We've never trusted the English since double agent Andy Farrell pretended to be one of us and then after a few years in charge screwed us over by wrecking a golden generation of talent and picking mostly Englishmen for the 2025 Lions tour".
To be fair. IRELAND will eventually get to a SF but at least it just the RWC and every 4 years we chike. The Scots are doing it yearly and I think Ireland are in a SF before Scotland in future.
Scottish team are regressing and fact they are more begging players outside Scotland to play for them and struggling to develop I can see Italy overtake them in 10 years

In 60 years time little Seamus will turn to Grandpa Paddy on the outskirts of Dublin
Don't want to think where the outskirts of dublin will be in 60 year! Probably north of dundalk!

But I like Wayne Barnes. Where does that leave me?? Am I a west brit? :eek:

Not bashing but I have yet to.see the clear evidence of the ball on the ground and literally touching the grass and downward pressure.
The 100% proof. As that is what is needed.

And the bashing of Scotland was more in relation to they said themselves they are up their with best in world.
That needs to be backed up. That where the comments on leaving it late. Against a poor French team at home you are ruthless if worldclass.

As for TMO flip flopping. Can I ask on what grounds could he have overruled on field call. Like I'm hearing alot commenting on TMO but what could he have done
Tmo bit he is probably guilty of giving false hope, as I recall it he implied he felt at one point he had sufficient evidence to over turn the off field decision as it transpired he didn't that is on him, it doesn't actually affect the outcome just created false hope.

To be fair. IRELAND will eventually get to a SF but at least it just the RWC and every 4 years we chike. The Scots are doing it yearly and I think Ireland are in a SF before Scotland in future.
Scottish team are regressing and fact they are more begging players outside Scotland to play for them and struggling to develop I can see Italy overtake them in 10 years

It's kinda hilarious that during every 6N or RWC you wheel out the same "Scotland talking themselves up" shite but fail to provide any recent quotes or evidence of current players or coaches saying outlandish things. Of course they'll say they're capable of winning games against top sides and being competitive blah blah blah when asked by the media. Dodson made a ridiculous claim about winning the RWC around ten years ago and almost everyone apart from him knew it was ********. Ireland are streets ahead of Scotland and almost everyone in Scotland knows it. Happy? We also know that Ireland are better than a QF team and could easily won the RWC last year had the draw not fallen as it did. Russell was class in his post match interview given how high emotions must have been running but if you want to cling onto something a fat CEO said ten years ago then go for it.

Last edited:

Pretty sure if Scotland had conceded a last minute try to lose we'd be reminded it's an 80 minute game!

The Irish media are incredibly weird but they're hardly alone in that.

Tmo bit he is probably guilty of giving false hope, as I recall it he implied he felt at one point he had sufficient evidence to over turn the off field decision as it transpired he didn't that is on him, it doesn't actually affect the outcome just created false hope.
But he was bang on. It did look like it was down. He even went purposely looking for the evidence to back himself up but just couldn't find it. There is no false hope as it's not as if they said here is the 100% proof.

It's kinda hilarious that during every 6N or RWC you wheel out the same "Scotland talking themselves up" shite but fail to provide any recent quotes or evidence of current players or coaches saying outlandish things. Of course they'll say they're capable of winning games against top sides and being competitive blah blah blah when asked by the media. Dodson made a ridiculous claim about winning the RWC around ten years ago and almost everyone apart from him knew it was ********. Ireland are streets ahead of Scotland and almost everyone in Scotland knows it. Happy? We also know that Ireland are better than a QF team and could easily won the RWC last year had the draw not fallen as it did. Russell was class in his post match interview given how high emotions must have been running but if you want to cling onto something a fat CEO said ten years ago then go for it.
Episode 1 of Netflix. Finn Russell literally says we are up there competing with the world's beat and that is the standard we are at.
I haven't been hammering them but more if you are at that level you don't struggle against a very poor and directionless French team.
This has f all to do with ireland as we got shown up.at RWC as overhyping ouslrsepves or maybe peaking too early.
Let's not forget at RWC we had aim of making Semi Final so we failed miserably. They are the facts.
So 10years ago or few weeks ago sure they all the same I guess

But he was bang on. It did look like it was down. He even went purposely looking for the evidence to back himself up but just couldn't find it. There is no false hope as it's not as if they said here is the 100% proof.
Aye, I hear what you're saying, with that decision definitively deciding the outcome of the game, he could have just not vocalised his thoughts until a final decision was reached, for the way that happened I can understand some Scottish frustration which was ultimately fuelled by disappointment created by the false hope.

Pretty sure if Scotland had conceded a last minute try to lose we'd be reminded it's an 80 minute game!

The Irish media are incredibly weird but they're hardly alone in that.
No I think narrative is same. Like Scotland are papering over cracks a bit and Cardiff tells same story too. A long way from finished article but time is not on their side

Aye, I hear what you're saying, with that decision definitively deciding the outcome of the game, he could have just not vocalised his thoughts until a final decision was reached, for the way that happened I can understand some Scottish frustration which was ultimately fuelled by disappointment created by the false hope.
But to be fair with him saying it or not we all thought same. Like if he didn't say that I think the reaction is the same. Like more so as I said yesterday I'd be more amused Townsend didn't know the rules from his presser after

No I think narrative is same. Like Scotland are papering over cracks a bit and Cardiff tells same story too. A long way from finished article but time is not on their side
I agree Scotland probably have peaked (or should have) but I'm not convinced it's a failure not to have won anything. The squad depth/quality is a long way off Ireland, France and arguably England.

I can believe a world class coach might have got a ***le (no slam) in 2020 or 2021 but no more than that.

Episode 1 of Netflix. Finn Russell literally says we are up there competing with the world's beat and that is the standard we are at.
I haven't been hammering them but more if you are at that level you don't struggle against a very poor and directionless French team.
This has f all to do with ireland as we got shown up.at RWC as overhyping ouslrsepves or maybe peaking too early.
Let's not forget at RWC we had aim of making Semi Final so we failed miserably. They are the facts.
So 10years ago or few weeks ago sure they all the same I guess

Tbf, Scotland were 5th in the world going into the RWC and had beaten France and England semi frequently to get there. Of course there was a gulf between the top 4 and the rest but it's just a comment to show he has high standards and expectations. Not that outlandish. For every comment like that there will be 10x more from Townsend and senior players showing respect to superior/higher ranked sides.

I agree Scotland probably have peaked (or should have) but I'm not convinced it's a failure not to have won anything. The squad depth/quality is a long way off Ireland, France and arguably England.

I can believe a world class coach might have got a ***le (no slam) in 2020 or 2021 but no more than that.
100% not saying they are failure. They have stepped up but do agree with proper coaching could be better but alot of their top players are closer to end than the start

Tbf, Scotland were 5th in the world going into the RWC and had beaten France and England semi frequently to get there. Of course there was a gulf between the top 4 and the rest but it's just a comment to show he has high standards and expectations. Not that outlandish. For every comment like that there will be 10x more from Townsend and senior players showing respect to superior/higher ranked sides.
Again not a dig at Russell or the ambition. My point is if you are at that level it can't be left to hoping a TMO or Ref call goes your way to.win at home. I'm not saying Scotland are the pits but they have a very good core who are not fulfilling their potential and part of that is down to coaching.

Like it was said if it was 79th minute win they all count. But it also says a team that has potential to win comfortable only fell over line for 2nd week. That is a worry

Latest posts