• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2024 Six Nations] France vs Ireland - 02/02/24

Too many potential jokes here, my head hurts.

Lack of eye contact, well done Pete.

"Well Greg, where's the best garden centre for when I move to La Rochelle"

"Ah Jaysus, look at us, two massive ******* *****"

As good and all as it is. Rumours now are POM has got what he wishes from IRFU and new contract will be annpunced before conclusion of 6Nations.

I'm hoping this is the French team that turns up at Murrayfield next week

8/13 for the slam after one match is insane.

I can't say I'm that confident, I reckon we'll win out our home games and score enough tries to wrap up the championship but Twickenham will be a trap game, close to 50/50. England have a performance in them, and there's very few easy wins over there.

8/13 for the slam after one match is insane.

I can't say I'm that confident, I reckon we'll win out our home games and score enough tries to wrap up the championship but Twickenham will be a trap game, close to 50/50. England have a performance in them, and there's very few easy wins over there.
The fact the English game comes after a rest weekend I think helps us. But can see why we are that short after week 1. 3 home games are against poor opposition that I think we win handy away never mind home.
England in London is the tricky game and I do fancy us but think they will click during this tournament.

The fact the English game comes after a rest weekend I think helps us. But can see why we are that short after week 1. 3 home games are against poor opposition that I think we win handy away never mind home.
England in London is the tricky game and I do fancy us but think they will click during this tournament.
Admire your confidence about England clicking, I just can't see it unless there are some major changes, Ireland by 25 - 30

Admire your confidence about England clicking, I just can't see it unless there are some major changes, Ireland by 25 - 30
Don't get me wrong not saying they will beat Ireland just there has to be a game they click surely.

I want a win
You already had a win. A half convincing one. Seriously, it was a strange but good show.

As for next week, we shall see. France seldom turns up for the first game after a long break. I hope that's the explanation.

ref calling use it use it at every ruck then still given as much time as he wanted after, then give up calling use it all together.
Ok, this, and more this (and lots of other things). Last year (or a couple of years back,? Getting old, memory's gone!) there was that last minute incident in NZ Vs Aus in the Championship where the ref said "Use it" and gave NZ a 5m scrum when the Aussie player faffed about for 10 seconds before doing anything and the resulting try decided the entire tournament. No reason why that shouldn't be applied everywhere. Give the refs a set time and instruction to call "use it" once the ball is clearly available or once the line is set for a line-out (Ireland are so slow setting up at lineouts!!). You'll ruin a couple of games until players realise that it's serious and then they'll just integrate it.

Balance with a minute's time off after every score or something neutral so that it's not 80 minutes of constant play.

Also, straight thrown-ins from the line-out and the scrum, when did that stop being a requirement?

And, pet peeve, but not related to time-wasting: bring back 5m scrums to the attacking team when the ball is held up over the try line. Giving the defending team a free kick to touch is just rubbing salt in it.

Ok, this, and more this (and lots of other things). Last year (or a couple of years back,? Getting old, memory's gone!) there was that last minute incident in NZ Vs Aus in the Championship where the ref said "Use it" and gave NZ a 5m scrum when the Aussie player faffed about for 10 seconds before doing anything and the resulting try decided the entire tournament. No reason why that shouldn't be applied everywhere. Give the refs a set time and instruction to call "use it" once the ball is clearly available or once the line is set for a line-out (Ireland are so slow setting up at lineouts!!). You'll ruin a couple of games until players realise that it's serious and then they'll just integrate it.

Balance with a minute's time off after every score or something neutral so that it's not 80 minutes of constant play.

Also, straight thrown-ins from the line-out and the scrum, when did that stop being a requirement?

And, pet peeve, but not related to time-wasting: bring back 5m scrums to the attacking team when the ball is held up over the try line. Giving the defending team a free kick to touch is just rubbing salt in it.
Yep not sure how I feel about the 5m scrum post held up over the line, part of me thinks rewarding a descent defensive shift with an opportunity to clear your lines is great, there are how ever those times when the ball probably isn't held up but due to ref positioning and lack of camera angles the try is not given which is really pretty unfair on the attacking team.

Yep not sure how I feel about the 5m scrum post held up over the line, part of me thinks rewarding a descent defensive shift with an opportunity to clear your lines is great, there are how ever those times when the ball probably isn't held up but due to ref positioning and lack of camera angles the try is not given which is really pretty unfair on the attacking team.
In theory, it should come out in the wash with the ref's onfield decision.
If it looks like it really ought to be a try, then say so, and make the TMO find a reason to change it, even if the ref themself doesn't see a clear grounding.

In theory, it should come out in the wash with the ref's onfield decision.
If it looks like it really ought to be a try, then say so, and make the TMO find a reason to change it, even if the ref themself doesn't see a clear grounding.
Unfortunately in theory and In practice are rarely the same thing when it comes to rugby decisions, look at the differences in cards, double movements etc, unfortunately all the while you have humans involved there will be inconsistencies, it's the thing that makes the sport frustrating and thrilling all at the same time.

Latest posts