• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2023-2024 transfers

Or jumping ship before the young pretenders take their crown? ;)

PS whos the best players who are leaving?

Chris Ashton retires

Glad Worcester saga wasn't his last
Came into tigers with a rep and I think he managed to show he was still a top player.

Just needed to be in a competitive environment

It's difficult because I don't blame jack for getting his contract post Wasps but at same time if no one has room then no one has room and not much he can do. Also suppose he has to balance financial decision. Make serious cash in France guaranteed or come back to UK on smaller contract (probably due to salary caps for clubs) and bank on England cash which isn't a definite. Young family that has just settled in france too, reckon its been a fairly straight forward decision for him.
His injury record probably also means he values security highly too.

I would expect him to have been in a first choice 23 post RWC when Lawes will presumably retire from international duty. But his choice.

On a wider perspective, the RFU can't ignore what is going on under their noses though. You can't just stand there screaming blind that you're right when the evidence is saying otherwise.

Footballers have long prioritised the cash of the club game over the national shirt and we're now starting to see that in rugby. The difference being that a strong national team is much more fundamental to rugby's overall well-being.

His injury record probably also means he values security highly too.

I would expect him to have been in a first choice 23 post RWC when Lawes will presumably retire from international duty. But his choice.

On a wider perspective, the RFU can't ignore what is going on under their noses though. You can't just stand there screaming blind that you're right when the evidence is saying otherwise.

Footballers have long prioritised the cash of the club game over the national shirt and we're now starting to see that in rugby. The difference being that a strong national team is much more fundamental to rugby's overall well-being.
When you look at the state of the game, two teams folding, others rumoured to be close to the edge, is it surprising that he wants to make sure he has a job?

I don't blame him and as you said, the RFU can't ignore what's going on under their noses.

It has to be tough for the premiership but they need to stop comparing themselves to football. The premier league is the top football league so I think the rfu-prl believe they deserve to be the top rugby comp. It just happens that France has a more successful one and that's been clear for more than a decade now. It's just basic comparative advantage. Rfu-prl should take solace in the fact that the French football team is massively successful and Ligue 1 is still financially sound (probably more so than English football) despite the French national team playing all over Europe. They even were able to beat the all domestic English side.

The rfu-prl are fighting a losing battle and I'm not sure what they are gaining from it.

It has to be tough for the premiership but they need to stop comparing themselves to football. The premier league is the top football league so I think the rfu-prl believe they deserve to be the top rugby comp. It just happens that France has a more successful one and that's been clear for more than a decade now. It's just basic comparative advantage. Rfu-prl should take solace in the fact that the French football team is massively successful and Ligue 1 is still financially sound (probably more so than English football) despite the French national team playing all over Europe. They even were able to beat the all domestic English side.

The rfu-prl are fighting a losing battle and I'm not sure what they are gaining from it.

Thing is it isn't the Prem rugby thinking they are at that level.

It's in place to basically stop a mass exodus which will happen, and when it happens the prem teams will in reality stop letting England have their players outside the window and in all reality stop focus on developing England players.

The England football team sucks because England are **** at developing coaches in all reality.

Falcons have signed "back 5" player John Kelly from Doncaster, happy to play anywhere from 4 to 8 but 6 and 8 are his favorites.
6'4 and 19st...

Apparently his game is no nonsense based on big carries and very physical defence.

Some very good signings so far this season.

Think the chances are that RFU will sh*t themselves if Itoje leaves along with others and scrap the France rule, at least have a cap minimum.

If it was me, scrap it... let the big players go to France if they want and then let more talent come through... I mean most of Englands squad play across multiple teams anyway.

France squad has 12 different teams in it (overall squad that is), same as England with 12 (incl. Willis in Toulouse). Does it really matter if some play over the channel and have to travel a little further? I mean Radwan gets shipped down from the toon for a training squad at PennyHill is 5 1/2 hour drive, compared to a 2hr flight for Jack (not Incl early arrival for check in etc). Why does it matter if are ultra professional players play in a different country towards later end of career? they aren't gonna rock up and be unable to interact with their team haha

Fair enough all very valid. More exciting though..

Apparently we will look to play games at Henley as it has been deemed suitable to host champ games.

Fair enough all very valid. More exciting though..

Apparently we will look to play games at Henley as it has been deemed suitable to host champ games.
Good luck to Pests, but why do phrases like "ambitious", "24,000" and "brand leverage revenues" fill me with dread?