• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2022 World Cup - Qatar

That does surprise me how low a number for a global sporting event. More watched online?

It seems hard to believe given we saw one french player (number 4?) literally crawl off the pitch on his hands and knees before being substituted.
Varane right? I can see arguments for both sides here. The rythm and intensity of a world cup, at that stage (at the end), is enormous. And remember players didnt have a break between leaving their clubs and playing for the national teams in the wc.

That does surprise me how low a number for a global sporting event. More watched online?
They are comparing apples and oranges. First, these are different sports.
Second, they are counting the viewers IN THE US between two games, one of which had the US playing and the other one didnt.

I recall the stats some people showed claiming the US women's team deserved better more money because of the audience they atracted and supported these claims with stats, figures, the lot. Long story short, they were comparing the US women's team stats from a world cup year against the US men's team in a non world cup year.
You need to be very, very, very careful when you read these things. 90% of them have an agenda and therefore tons of cherry picking and 99,9% of the authors could pass a statistics 101 course if their lives depended on it.

They are comparing apples and oranges. First, these are different sports.
Second, they are counting the viewers IN THE US between two games, one of which had the US playing and the other one didnt.

I recall the stats some people showed claiming the US women's team deserved better more money because of the audience they atracted and supported these claims with stats, figures, the lot. Long story short, they were comparing the US women's team stats from a world cup year against the US men's team in a non world cup year.
You need to be very, very, very careful when you read these things. 90% of them have an agenda and therefore tons of cherry picking and 99,9% of the authors could pass a statistics 101 course if their lives depended on it.
Yes, I am very well aware that US viewers are very parochial when it comes to their sports teams. When a US team is playing the viewing figures are sky high, but when it's other countries fewer people are interested. Having been to the US many times and turned on the ESPN only to see more coverage of the local college team than any sport outside of the US.

I just would have thought with MLS franchise and World Cup coming in 4 years time that viewing figures would be higher. But I guess it's still very much a saturated market in North America where Soccer for the men's game at least is still way down compared to their other major sports.

Damn FIFA. Was a great BBC final montage to a the "Power of Love". Very apt for this WC. I liked how they linked it to past WCs at the beginning and where Messi is part of it's lineage. Still available on YouTube.

I'll remember it as Messi's WC. Maybe this year he'll retire from international duties after scoring at least 100 goals for Argentina. Let's see if they block this one. Saudi, no doubt Ronaldo fans giving it large after beating Argentina. "Where is Messi?"🤔🤣

Roll onto Mexico, USA, Canada 2026. 48 teams, which I think will be over bloated and FIFA's fault for trying to cram in too many countries in one tournament. 32 was ideal.

Euros in Germany in 18m before that to fill the gap.

Latest posts