• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2023-2024 transfers

Sarries whole success was fraudulent. They paid South African players outside the cap to get initial success, then paid extra to their young potential players r keep them together more any any other team would have been able to and are only just coming to the end of some of these deals.

Yes im sire they had a great atmosphere but I bet most other clubs did as well. They will struggle to replace the aging quality players they have if they abide by the rules now.

Sarries whole success was fraudulent. They paid South African players outside the cap to get initial success, then paid extra to their young potential players r keep them together more any any other team would have been able to and are only just coming to the end of some of these deals.

Yes im sire they had a great atmosphere but I bet most other clubs did as well. They will struggle to replace the aging quality players they have if they abide by the rules now.
Yes and No. Salary cap issues I agree but they blooded English youth like Itoje, George, Farrell. I'd add in both Vunipolas. Like there were others. Barritt was a superb glue for them and a smart investment but I'm sure came pure cheap. Like Sarries didn't go out and just throw money at Superstars to built that foundation and identity.

Yes and No. Salary cap issues I agree but they blooded English youth like Itoje, George, Farrell. I'd add in both Vunipolas. Like there were others. Barritt was a superb glue for them and a smart investment but I'm sure came pure cheap. Like Sarries didn't go out and just throw money at Superstars to built that foundation and identity.
I'd disagree, they developed young English talent around global stars which am they only kept by cheating the cap. Farrell learned his trade around Charlie Hodgson, George from Smit, Itoje from Borthwick, Botha, smith, Kruis etc

They also bought in Mako, Daly and Billy from other clubs along with a full 15 of internationals. There is no way they would have had their success if they complied with the cap because they just wouldn't have had the players and squad depth.

I'd disagree, they developed young English talent around global stars which am they only kept by cheating the cap. Farrell learned his trade around Charlie Hodgson, George from Smit, Itoje from Borthwick, Botha, smith, Kruis etc

They also bought in Mako, Daly and Billy from other clubs along with a full 15 of internationals. There is no way they would have had their success if they complied with the cap because they just wouldn't have had the players and squad depth.
Don't disagree with any of that but my point is like they did (and still do) try get a foundation to grow homegrown. Like alot of talent you mentioned is English too like it's not that they are recruiting massively abroad like top top Saffas etc Like when they do these guys are on fringes or twilight.

I'm not disagreeing with what you are saying but more can see their longer term plan.

The point is that money doesn't guarantee anything. There has to be more and there patently was with Sarries. They'd previously done the galactico stuff which didn't really work.

Their top players stayed with them on relegation and the few that went to other clubs came straight back. Presumably under closer scrutiny now (obviously there are naysayers) they've bounced back to a couple of Prem finals. Says quite a lot to me.

😂 I recall there were accusations nearly a decade ago of several clubs at that time who were possibly in breach of the cap but nothing came of it. Most recently Sarries were meant to be have been the only club who were in breach* until it came out Leicester were also foul of the regulations. I doubt any other clubs are foul, but who knows, as Leicester shows though, breaking the cap doesn't guarantee success.

If you go by some people you'd think Sarries never let players go, that Skelton, Kruis, Barrit and others were still on the pitch last weekend against Lyon. A transition will happen, but I suspect out of the two clubs to make a success of it, I'd put Exeter and Saracens up there, who appear to be less focused on short term success relative to other sides.

* I don't disagree that there were breaches, but the quantum was distorted by the peculiar reclassification of Ashton's loan, when he wasn't even at Sarries (and which also ended up being double counted towards Sale's cap), and the Itoje image rights (independently valued by Premiership Rugby's own auditors) then being recalculated.

'However, Slade is out of contract at the end of the season and has been attracting interest from French clubs, but the carrot of playing for England remains an important consideration. "At the moment I haven't had any offers, either way," Slade said. "We are just about talking with Exeter now about what is going on. Because we've been away, I haven't spoken to Rob [Baxter]. There hasn't been an official offer but he seems to be keen for me to stay around, so hopefully they give me a good offer.

"Playing for England is amazing and it's definitely a big reason to keep me in the country. I've got to see what is there – what cards are on the table. I'm more than happy to stay at Exeter, I've been there for my whole career, I love playing for the Chiefs and I love playing for England. That's a big part of it. But I will make my decision when I have my options. That will be fairly soon, hopefully." '
Henry Slade talking about his future.

Biggest headline there is Asher signing on for two more years - mad he'll only be 21 when that contract ends! I reckon we probably tried to get him tied down longer but his agent knows his stock is going to keep rising

Really happy with all of them, though
Tumy has done well being thrown completely in at the deep end, and Bamber looks like someone who's going to become a proper mainstay in the pack
RMW not had his chances properly yet, but hoping he gets a couple of starts in our friendlies over the 6N and shakes the cobwebs off

Biggest headline there is Asher signing on for two more years - mad he'll only be 21 when that contract ends! I reckon we probably tried to get him tied down longer but his agent knows his stock is going to keep rising

Really happy with all of them, though
Tumy has done well being thrown completely in at the deep end, and Bamber looks like someone who's going to become a proper mainstay in the pack
RMW not had his chances properly yet, but hoping he gets a couple of starts in our friendlies over the 6N and shakes the cobwebs off
Yeah as a TH prop even if his progress slows down his value will rise just because all clubs look for TH props pretty much

Will Rigg from Cov to Chiefs, does anyone know anything about him?

Seen a highlights vid on him and he seems pretty big quick guy with a decent offload. But not sure

Latest posts