• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2023 Six Nations] England Squad

Not even slightly interested about Earl at 7.

20 maybe, but Curry should be there.

Not even slightly interested about Earl at 7.

20 maybe, but Curry should be there.
If Willis was at 6 then I think there's definitely an argument for Earl at 7. Willis would bring that jackal threat/breakdown graft that Earl potentially lacks as a 7, while Earl would round it out by bringing much more of an attacking threat.

If Willis was at 6 then I think there's definitely an argument for Earl at 7. Willis would bring that jackal threat/breakdown graft that Earl potentially lacks as a 7, while Earl would round it out by bringing much more of an attacking threat.
So what you're saying is.... Curry at 8?

This is getting silly, something really has to be done about this. How can any head coach pick and prepare a team with so many injuries/absence. This does not happen to other nations to this extent. The RFU need to address workload and recovery as a matter of urgency
Can't blame Eddie

This is getting silly, something really has to be done about this. How can any head coach pick and prepare a team with so many injuries/absence. This does not happen to other nations to this extent. The RFU need to address workload and recovery as a matter of urgency
Well the Prem has been reduced by 2 clubs…..

Well the Prem has been reduced by 2 clubs…..
For now, they will be back up to full compliment next season in some guise.
I don't necessarily think it's the amount of clubs. It's the amount of games top players play and then the rushing players back from injury.
Their might be a case that we train too hard in England. The Irish provinces certainly put more emphasis on tactics, than English clubs do

It's funny because I always get the impression England get lucky with Injuries and Wales are unlucky but probably a tad of confirmation bias for both of us. Reality is, especially theses days, that every country will have quite a few injuries to deal with.

What is an acceptable outcome this 6N is it 3rd with good performances? Due to France and Ireland being ahead of us in preparation.

Do we need to win to prove it was worth it sacking EJ?

Must win in Scotland, Wales and Italy but they other 2 need to be strong performances even if we lose.

Im saying acceptable not what do we want because obv we want to win.

What is an acceptable outcome this 6N is it 3rd with good performances? Due to France and Ireland being ahead of us in preparation.

Do we need to win to prove it was worth it sacking EJ?

Must win in Scotland, Wales and Italy but they other 2 need to be strong performances even if we lose.

Im saying acceptable not what do we want because obv we want to win.
Yes it's a hard one. Ire/France preparation, Selection and tactics are currently way ahead. Yet a fully fit English squad is at least comparable talent wise
I would suspect good closer games Vs France/Ire to and wins Vs the rest to be acceptable for the fans

Third or higher, like you said

I just want to see a general improvement in our performances, if we do that then the results should follow.
Under EJ, for a lot of the time, we were winning ugly but also losing ugly, if we have to lose at least do it with some panache, maybe run a backs move or two, win a scrum on our own put in, claim a lineout - all novel ideas, I know, but lets give it a go

I think it will be hard to judge, especially on the midfield combination. There have been too many injuries, so it's hard to know who Borthwick would pick. Smith-Farrell seems to have handicapped both Smith and Farrell, but Borthwick might employ that combination for expediency now.

He really needs to be playing his World Cup side from here on in, to bed it in as time is short... but there are injuries to key players and he also needs to give the wider squad players experience. Hooker is now a complete fustercluck, to a lesser extent winger and midfield, and back row is little better.

Stick or twist?

3 wins and playing well is about the top end of expectations. I could see us losing to Wales, Ireland and France. At least we have Scotland and Italy at home. If there's a 'new coach bounce' and sensible selection, top end. With a stifled midfield and continued 'play worse for your country than in the Prem' disease, fifth place beckons...

Doesnt Earl have the most turnovers this season so far...or some stat similar...

3rd is a reasonable aim and anything lower is poor on any England team. Still Borthwick has been dealt a terrible set of cards.

I think I can accept 4th this time around if there's a measured level of performance increase. In other words if we lose three tight games playing some structured stuff and theres a score in it thats good. If we still look clueless and get hammered thats bad.

I like Earl...i think in the right set up he would be a real asset to this England team more so than the similar Simmonds. BUT...its getting the right balance...and i cant see him starting. Borthick will be going for rock solid basics and clear understanding of how to play.

I can see the back row being...
6 Isiekwe / Chessum
7 Willis
8 Dombrandt

Doesnt Earl have the most turnovers this season so far...or some stat similar...
Will Evans has the most this season according to an article I just found,

No idea who's 2nd 3rd etc. as rugby is stuck in the stone age and doesn't make collated stats available to everyone so you've gotta just hope Opta, or some random journo, blesses you with a tidbit

Ah right...well hes defo up from the report i saw the other day...which surprised me as i thought he was more effective in other areas.

I like Earl...i think in the right set up he would be a real asset to this England team more so than the similar Simmonds. BUT...its getting the right balance...and i cant see him starting. Borthick will be going for rock solid basics and clear understanding of how to play.

I can see the back row being...
6 Isiekwe / Chessum
7 Willis
8 Dombrandt
I agree that is the likely setup and that setup is fine if it's a stop start game with minimal quick rucks. If it's a quick game with quick rucks that back line is far to slow and gangly

Latest posts