• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2023 Six Nations] England Squad

Bar concussion issues I don't think anyone would argue with your 1-4, although there would be an argument that if Cole's involved he starts.

I suspect Hill will start. If not he shouldn't be involved at all. Both Chessum and Isiekwe also give back row options.

Willis and Dombrandt yes, the question is who to go alongside them. Earl's a nice shout although I think he's more likely to bench. I'd like to see Curry but suspect it will be a big bloke.

9 & 10 seems to be the way the wind is blowing but suspect Youngs will bench, which could be handy if it's all getting a bit tense.

Centres? Who knows? Could be anything but struggle to believe that Manu won't be involved somewhere. I hope Borthwick's got a clearer idea than me! If I had to lay any money I think Manu will get the benefit of the doubt at 12 with Marchant outside. I hope Lawrence is involved somewhere.

If Watson's anything like fit, he starts.
Cole Hill Watson were all on the bench for more experience later on, With Watson if Murley had a nightmare for example plus he he hasnt had much time in camp. Has he?

Rodd isnt known as the strongest scrummager but cole might help sure it up.

And Hill is a good physical big bloke so off the bench he could do well, it was him or Ribbans for me at 19.

But all your points are valid.

Has George actually passed his protocols?
No formal testing done until 12 days has passed, which is the day after the team is expected to be named - Saracens seem pretty sure he'll be fit by then, so I'm guessing he'll be in the side but replaced if he fails the fitness test (which isn't unheard of for 50/50 players)
How long did Willis have to spend out of camp? That will count against him a fair bit.
He was only in camp for four days before leaving - presumably back in camp today, but reduced duties due to having just played
Doesn't give him a lot of time to impress but they'll have the 30mins of match footage to analyse I guess 🤷‍♂️
I do wonder if he's as nailed on a starter as we think - he's really not played that much rugby this season (5 games since the AIs, only one those >50mins)

I would take OHC over Murley as a starter, but other than that I just want us to win

He was only in camp for four days before leaving - presumably back in camp today, but reduced duties due to having just played
Doesn't give him a lot of time to impress but they'll have the 30mins of match footage to analyse I guess 🤷‍♂️
I do wonder if he's as nailed on a starter as we think - he's really not played that much rugby this season (5 games since the AIs, only one those >50mins)
The more I think about it, the more I'd be amazed if Willis actually makes the 23. He's been at Toulouse since November and yet has only started twice. I like Willis but when you look at the facts; he's not currently a starter at his club, he's lacking game time, and he's missed half the training camp. When Curry and Earl are both currently in top form (and I would say, better form), why would Borthwick pick him?

More and more I'm expecting to see:
6. Chessum
7. Curry
8. Dombrandt

20. Earl

Silly silly.

I can see it happening, but it's silly. Murley is clear.
F7DEBBE4-26EB-4FC2-B52A-7CA519558DE0.gif

The more I think about it, the more I'd be amazed if Willis actually makes the 23. He's been at Toulouse since November and yet has only started twice. I like Willis but when you look at the facts; he's not currently a starter at his club, he's lacking game time, and he's missed half the training camp. When Curry and Earl are both currently in top form (and I would say, better form), why would Borthwick pick him?

6. Chessum
7. Curry
8. Dombrandt

20. Earl
Please let Chessum be a Lock, he suits it so much more IMO. I get your point but i still think Willis will make it into the 23 tbh he is such a talent.

This is getting silly, something really has to be done about this. How can any head coach pick and prepare a team with so many injuries/absence. This does not happen to other nations to this extent. The RFU need to address workload and recovery as a matter of urgency

Are they pushing them to hard in training or are the players pushong to hard to impress the new coach.

So whos injured now then from the original squad?

Please let Chessum be a Lock, he suits it so much more IMO. I get your point but i still think Willis will make it into the 23 tbh he is such a talent.
Normally I'd agree but he's the only player in the squad who's regularly playing 6 for their club

So whos injured now then from the original squad?

For the thrice time!

(Stealing from @TRF_Olyy 's original post at the start of this tread):

Forwards
Ollie Chessum
Dan Cole
Ben Curry
Alex Dombrandt
Ben Earl
Ellis Genge
Jamie George Jamie Blamire
Joe Heyes
Jonny Hill
Nick Isiekwe
Maro Itoje
Courtney Lawes Dave Ribbans
Lewis Ludlam
George McGuigan Tom Dunn
Bevan Rodd
Sam Simmonds
Kyle Sinckler
Mako Vunipola
Jack Walker
Jack Willis

Backs
Elliot Daly
Ollie Lawrence
Owen Farrell
Tommy Freeman
Ollie Hassell-Collins
Dan Kelly Guy Porter
Max Malins
Joe Marchant
Alex Mitchell
Cadan Murley
Henry Slade Anthony Watson
Fin Smith
Marcus Smith
Freddie Steward
Manu Tuilagi
Jack van Poortvliet
Ben Youngs

6. Chessum
7. Curry
8. Dombrandt

20. Earl
Yep, although apparently his form in Europe has been very good.

And I think we all keep forgetting Ludlam, but I wouldn't stake my life on which flankers will be involved. The Scots have a good back row and Curry / Chessum is v light on experience with Dombrandt / Earl not much further ahead. I'd expect at least one of Willis / Ludlam to be in the 23, not that either of those have shedloads of caps but they've been around the scene for a while and have a bit more general experience by virtue of being a little older.

As for the midfield, I still think he'll go with Manu at 12. Not saying that's right but it's what I expect.

You can still make a dam good team from those lot

1. Genge 2. George 3. Sinckler
4. Itoje 5. Hill (he'll be starting)
6. Chessum/ Willis / Iseikwe (one of those at 6
7. Earl
8. Dombrant

9. JVP 10. Farrell
12. Manu and 13. marchant/ Lawrence
11. Freeman/ 14. murley (or maybe Watson)
15. Steward

16. Dunn
17. Rodd
18. Cole
19. The non picked lock
20. Ludlam
21. Mitchell (probably Youngs)
22. Smith
23. Murley/ Watson

Latest posts