• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2023 Six Nations] England Squad

Just backs up what a lot on here were saying. Jones ruined our basics while claiming he was working forwards a World Cup. His ideas (whatever they were) just made England worse and worse at the basics.

Borthwick has a massive task on his hands to undo all Jones' rubbish coaching.

Same 15 for me vs Wales for me, with Earl over Ludlam, Ludlam at 20. Ribbans over Iseikwe. Pretty happy otherwise

Same 15 for me vs Wales for me, with Earl over Ludlam, Ludlam at 20. Ribbans over Iseikwe. Pretty happy otherwise
While Earl has played well, I don't think the combo of Earl and Willis would work. Maybe Ludlum over Dombrant at 8 but I really wouldn't want to change anything.

I'm confident England will beat Wales despite it being away. Wales have looked simply dire

I'd really be looking at an alternative to Dombrandt for the Wales game. I've never thought that he was a good enough athlete to be an international back rower but it seemed like he could make up for it with skill level and rugby intelligence. But now he's dropping half the balls that come his way and getting caught out at the back of the scrum, he isn't really bringing either the skill or the intelligence to the table. I wanted him to do well but he just isn't cut out for the top level.

I would have liked to see see Willis Jr get a run but that isn't going to happen so there's not much point discussing it. For Wales I'd like to see:
6. Willis
7. Earl (or T. Curry if he's fit)
8. Ludlam
Ludlam isn't really an 8 but at least that's 3 guys who are all comfortable at international level. Ludlam's played plenty of 8 this season so I wouldn't worry too much about him there, and Earl would provide some of the link play ability that Ludlam would lack.

Elsewhere I think I'd keep things the same. OHC could do with putting in a shift really as he hasn't done much but he's also had limited chances and hasn't exactly done anything wrong.

Lawrence was a huge positive from today. I don't want to get too ahead of myself about a performance against Italy but he really looked like exactly what we've been missing. Hopefully he can continue to back it up.

Normally don't mind the EPS arrangement but it's frustrating knowing we can't make changes unless there are injuries

Would love to see Rapava-Ruskin and Tom Willis brought in (for Mako and Simmonds)

I wouldn't change much vs Wales, Ribbans in (as mentioned in the match thread: I really rate Isiekwe as a lock but he's been brought on at 6 twice now so let's remove the temptation - we need fresh legs behind Mako when he inevitably comes on)

T.Curry meant to be back for Sale this weekend, I imagine Ben is technically his injury replacement in the EPS so they'll be switched out,
Theoretically I'd have Him/Willis/Ludlam as the backrow, but I don't think Dombrandt gets dropped - Earl has done pretty well off the bench so I'm not sure what will happen with Tom

Be interesting to see what happens with Watson - as much as I'm a massive OHC fan I'd be tempted to start Watson on the wing,
Do think it might be Watson vs Arundell for the 23 shirt (I'd also throw Marchant in the mix for that)

Thought Willis and Dommers went really well in the forwards.

In the backs, Lawrence was our best player. That's right, our 12 was our best player. 😭.

We need a proper 6 next to Willis and Dombrandt. Preferably a POM like player. Do we have one like that?

In the backs - Arundell to start, possibly try Mitchell over JVP who im just not fussed by right now and look to see how we can get Radwan in. Hassell Collins has been patient but im just not having him as an international winger.,

In the backs, Lawrence was our best player. That's right, our 12 was our best player. 😭.

We need a proper 6 next to Willis and Dombrandt. Preferably a POM like player. Do we have one like that?

In the backs - Arundell to start, possibly try Mitchell over JVP who im just not fussed by right now and look to see how we can get Radwan in. Hassell Collins has been patient but im just not having him as an international winger.,
HC not an international winger? How did you come to that?

He rarely received the ball, but defended well. He pretty much saved us from a try, just for the ref not to check for touch or knock on

I'd like a backline of Mitchell/JVP, Smith, Arundell, Lawrence, Marchant/Slade, Watson, and Steward.

Maybe Malins for Watson, and I'm pretty sure Marchant plays 13 but I might be getting that wrong.

Ludlam has been really good.
And it's impossible to criticise the wings when all the ball they get is either an overcooked crossfield kick, or... a pass from Ludlam

Did Slade only pass the ball once? I heard that. How is that possible?

For all Isiekwe is a lock imo...didnt he make a load of tackles and get 2 turnovers in his sub appearance? Not bad going really.

ESPN stats have him making 10 passes, Six Nations stats say 9
Ahh right must have misheard i thought it was rediculous. Either way that 10 12 13 could work as Faz will be 10 til after the WC so im not even putting it out there.

Needs to bed in vs Wales to get the wingers more involved and ffs stop the aimless grubbers by Faz, but then Smith Lawrence Slade. Was annoyed he got under 10 min with Faz at 12. Glad we wernt chasing a game

For me having thought on it i wouldn't change much. And players leaving like Ribbans and Marchant still have a part to play.

For me,
Genge George Sinks - solid FR
Itoje Chessum - seems balanced
Willis Dombrant Earl(TCurry if back) - Dombrant the only out and out 8 in the squad, Simmonds off to France post WC so not giving starting minutes and harsh on Ludlam who has been good but i think Earl also deserves a start, Ludlam vs Earl out of 23 if Curry is back unfortunatly not sure which.

JVP Faz - Settled for WC
Lawrence Slade - deserves another try.
Arundell Steward Freeman(Watson, Murley, OHC) Malins for me is a classy player abit like Slade not overly strong or quick just has the playmaking ability so Slade Malins is the same time is missing some attacking flair. Slade needs attacking wingers he can get on the front foot. Arundell has very few minties and it seems hes worth a punt.

Walker - more minutes
Rodd - Mako isnt who he used to be
Cole - not sold but who else, solid at the very least but bad if your chasing a game.
Ribbans - offers alot and deserves a chance(on iseikwe see Cole)
Ludlam(Earl if curry starts) - tough one
Mitchell - set up a try within minutes
Smith - on for Faz at 60 Min!
Marchant(would be Daly) to cover centre/wing injuries as add pace.

Ted Hill would be a good balanced 6 for those 2.
Arundell, looks like he wants work so would be a good winger over OHC, while I think Steward just doesnt do it for me in attack.
Maybe have him closer to the action on the wing and put Malins at FB.
That way power on wings defensive solid on kicking and playmaker at 15.
Add in Marchant for Slade and the backline might work.

Anyone think Manu might be off at the end of the season? Ribbans, Simmonds and marchant(dropped) havnt been picked. And would make sense at the stage of his career.

SB is limiting time to players that are leaving it seems, i think LCD would get time if fit because he is more vital given our hooker stock.

If this is the case i dont blame him i mean he is building to a world cup he has little chance of winning so starting the find next years squad now makes sense when its 50/50 like manu or lawrence, Simmonds or Earl, Marchant or Slade.

Anyone think Manu might be off at the end of the season?
Those are the rumours - Sanderson has said we've tried to resign him (why?) but the numbers aren't right - so unless he takes a reasonable pay cut (on top of the lack of England match fees these days) I can't see it

Those are the rumours - Sanderson has said we've tried to resign him (why?) but the numbers aren't right - so unless he takes a reasonable pay cut (on top of the lack of England match fees these days) I can't see it
Despite the evident charms of Manchester you can see why topping up the pension for a year or two in Paris or slumming it by the coast with Montpelier or Perpignan might appeal. Maybe even Japan. He's still a big enough name to get some interest even if not at the rates he'd previously have commanded.

Lawrence was v encouraging on Sunday, but that wasn't an indicator of how he might go against good opposition. Ignoring Wal, would love to see him tear it up v Fra and Ire, but would be interesting to see how Borthwick reacts if he's quiet in those.

Sounds like both Lawes and T Curry will be available for Wal.

Good news obviously, but I'd be totally hacked off if both waltzed back straight into the starting XV ahead of Willis.

So borthwick isnt allowed make to many changes to the EPS so keeps the ones that are off as injury reserves, makes sense. Didnt actually know it had been rumoured.

Sale are probably better without him the cap could be better spent.

Sounds like both Lawes and T Curry will be available for Wal.

Good news obviously, but I'd be totally hacked off if both waltzed back straight into the starting XV ahead of Willis
TCurry yes and wouldnt mind Lawes in the 19 shirt with Ludlam or Earl in the 20.

Willis Dombrandt(T) TCurry sounds very good to me, Dombrandt the only 8 and want to give him time to prove he is or is not up to the level.

Latest posts