• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2023 Six Nations] England Squad

I assume everyone's heard the story of Mitchell being told to to pack his stuff and go to the airport by Jones for the summer tour. Only to be told when he was there that he wasn't going. Came straight from Mitchell.

Glad to have my bias confirmed from multiple sources that Jones was a prick.

I assume everyone's heard the story of Mitchell being told to to pack his stuff and go to the airport by Jones for the summer tour. Only to be told when he was there that he wasn't going. Came straight from Mitchell.

There are too many of these stories of Jones being pointlessly cruel for it not to be true imo. Even if you personally are not on the receiving end, it's horrible to watch and would explain English morale being at rock bottom.

There are too many of these stories of Jones being pointlessly cruel for it not to be true imo. Even if you personally are not on the receiving end, it's horrible to watch and would explain English morale being at rock bottom.
This is what I don't get, so many players who said it was tough but brought out the best in them (which now seems to be the equivalent of towing the party line) yet it clearly didn't. For all this abuse and head games England and the players didn't actually benefit. If England were no 1 in the world, had won the world cup and multiple 6Ns you might say it was, but it was in the end just a prick abusing his players and power.

Told Sam James at the start of game week he was starting in Argentina, SJ's parents quickly flew out there to watch (which must have cost a ton), then when he officially named the team he wasn't in the 23

Would love us to just take a punt on an IC, one with promise that might not be a regular at club level but is showing they have potential. See Joe Hawkins turning out for Wales at 12, he was in the U20 team last year and I wish we would do something similar.

Dan Kelly is the obvious choice, and would be playing if it wasn't for an unfortunately timed injury. But we should have a 12 ready to come in?!

Max Ojomah (22)- stands out as he's young, been around the squad and has plenty of appearances for Bath for a player his age.
Luke Northmore (25) - Has been in the squad before. Has competition from Esterhuizen but is a decent 12 and can play 13. No slouch, big fella too.
Luke James (23) - I've mentioned this chap before, and he looks like he has it all. Understand he plays 15 more, but with almost 40% of his appearances at centre is he worth a shot?
Lennox Anyanwu (22) - Another exciting attacking centre at Quins. Haven't seen as much as him as others. You Tube tells me he's pretty rapid.
Fraser Dingwall (23) - Been in the squad before, again he's a proper 12 and made nearly 100 appearances for Saints. If he had a Welsh or Scottish ancestor he'd be playing international rugby by now. Not a highlight reel player, but he's got to be decent right?

I admit my scouting is done from watching whatever Prem games are on BT sports. And highlight packages. Sometimes reading your opinions on here and watching you tube videos. I'm no expert so feel free to shout me down. Plenty of fans of these prem clubs on here, would you rate these as potential England players?

I'd say no on the majority of those … mostly because a chunk of it is wrong (sorry).

I rate Northmore but he's a 13. He's rarely used at 12 and hasn't been a roaring success when he has played there.

Similarly. Dingwall is 'not a proper 12'. He's a 13 who covers 12. Also - he is Scotland qualified (though his dad I think).

Anyanwu and Ojomoh are both good but not good enough to own the starting 12 shirt at club level yet. Way too soon for either.

Luke James is a decent enough fullback and and OK 12 but a long way off test calibre IMO.

Luke James (23) - I've mentioned this chap before, and he looks like he has it all. Understand he plays 15 more, but with almost 40% of his appearances at centre is he worth a shot?
Surprised he's played that much at 12 tbh, feels like he's been playing 15 for ages now - I reckon me might move back to 12 going forwards (with Carpenter making the 15 shirt his own) but he's only played centre 3 times since March 2021 so not really in the picture at club level let alone international

Would love us to just take a punt on an IC, one with promise that might not be a regular at club level but is showing they have potential. See Joe Hawkins turning out for Wales at 12, he was in the U20 team last year and I wish we would do something similar.

Dan Kelly is the obvious choice, and would be playing if it wasn't for an unfortunately timed injury. But we should have a 12 ready to come in?!

Max Ojomah (22)- stands out as he's young, been around the squad and has plenty of appearances for Bath for a player his age.
Luke Northmore (25) - Has been in the squad before. Has competition from Esterhuizen but is a decent 12 and can play 13. No slouch, big fella too.
Lennox Anyanwu (22) - Another exciting attacking centre at Quins. Haven't seen as much as him as others. You Tube tells me he's pretty rapid.
Fraser Dingwall (23) - Been in the squad before, again he's a proper 12 and made nearly 100 appearances for Saints. If he had a Welsh or Scottish ancestor he'd be playing international rugby by now. Not a highlight reel player, but he's got to be decent right?

I admit my scouting is done from watching whatever Prem games are on BT sports. And highlight packages. Sometimes reading your opinions on here and watching you tube videos. I'm no expert so feel free to shout me down. Plenty of fans of these prem clubs on here, would you rate these as potential England players?
I do agree in principle but has to be an out and out 12 like Anyanwu, ojomoh or Atkinson.

Any player that isnt a 12 first is pointless.

I am amazed at how England just doesn't seem to produce any good 12's. It's been literally decades since we had a top quality 12 in the England squad. Dare I say it, I hark back to the days of Brad Barrett and that's saying something.

I am amazed at how England just doesn't seem to produce any good 12's. It's been literally decades since we had a top quality 12 in the England squad. Dare I say it, I hark back to the days of Brad Barrett and that's saying something.
And Brad Barritt could defend but did nothing in attack. Ive said it before on this forum that England haven't had a top class inside centre since Will Greenwood.

I'd say no on the majority of those … mostly because a chunk of it is wrong (sorry).

I rate Northmore but he's a 13. He's rarely used at 12 and hasn't been a roaring success when he has played there.

Similarly. Dingwall is 'not a proper 12'. He's a 13 who covers 12. Also - he is Scotland qualified (though his dad I think).

Anyanwu and Ojomoh are both good but not good enough to own the starting 12 shirt at club level yet. Way too soon for either.

Luke James is a decent enough fullback and and OK 12 but a long way off test calibre IMO.
Don't be sorry, it's good to learn things. Like I say I definitely don't know more than anyone on here. Just looked at highlights, vids and stats from https://all.rugby/player which tell us what percentage of games a player has played in a certain position.

Thanks for this tho (Y)

Point of order - England "produced" Redpath, Thompkins and Williams - what we wouldn't give for any of those; especially Cam (the least realistic of the 3).

Of course, what you personally mean by a "good 12" changes that balance.

I would've picked Tompkins before he became Welsh. Not world class but a solid 12 is all we're asking. Had high hopes for Johnny Williams too but a similar story.

I haven't been a big follower of rugby journalism but that Stephen Jones writes some nonsense doesn't he.

I've just read a post about how Borthwick was right to drop Smith because he fails to realease his back line. Whilst seemingly ignoring the fact that next in that line is Farrell.

Last edited:

Latest posts