• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2023 Six Nations] England Squad

Do you think Ted Hill and Ollie Lawrence have been disadvantaged because they play for a poor Bath team? You would hope players that excel in a poor team would get extra credit.

I don't think Bath are all that poor now. They've certainly improved this season (yes, I know that's from a low base).

I don't think so,

Lawrence I've already explained my (guessed at) reasoning,
Hill I guess it kinda the same:
Our options at 6 are Lawes, Chessum, Isiekwe, Itoje (and maybe one of the 7s moving across, but I'd expect one of the hybrids to play there before Simmonds or Earl tbh)

I'd say his direct competition in there is Chessum and Isiekwe, as Lawes and Itoje were always gonna be there,
Chessum is in fine form for Tigers, is a genuine option at 5/6 and at a push even 8, and Borthwick knows him very well (not suggesting nepotism, just that he knows his strengths/weaknesses so it's an easier pick)
Isiekwe more of a lock than a 6 so that counts in his favour as our second row hasn't been great recently, especially at tighthead lock (where Isiekwe has been playing since going back to Saracens)

Personally I would've had him ahead of Lawes, who I don't think should be playing in this 6N after his recent concussion issues, but like with Lawrence - I can understand why he's missed out

Just unfortunate to be playing in positions where we have good depth at the moment

Edit: Actually I forgot Ludlam - I really like Ludlam but I'd pick Hill ahead of him. Can't see Ludlam starting at 7 or 8, and I prefer the pace/dynamism of Earl/Simmonds off the bench

I don't think centre is a
I don't think so,

Our options at 6 are Lawes, Chessum, Isiekwe, Itoje (and maybe one of the 7s moving across, but I'd expect one of the hybrids to play there before Simmonds or Earl tbh)

I'd say his direct competition in there is Chessum and Isiekwe, as Lawes and Itoje were always gonna be there,
Chessum is in fine form for Tigers, is a genuine option at 5/6 and at a push even 8, and Borthwick knows him very well (not suggesting nepotism, just that he knows his strengths/weaknesses so it's an easier pick)
Isiekwe more of a lock than a 6 so that counts in his favour as our second row hasn't been great recently, especially at tighthead lock (where Isiekwe has been playing since going back to Saracens)

Personally I would've had him ahead of Lawes, who I don't think should be playing in this 6N after his recent concussion issues, but like with Lawrence - I can understand why he's missed out

Just unfortunate to be playing in positions where we have good depth at the moment

Edit: Actually I forgot Ludlam - I really like Ludlam but I'd pick Hill ahead of him. Can't see Ludlam starting at 7 or 8, and I prefer the pace/dynamism of Earl/Simmonds off the benci

I don't think so,

Edit: Actually I forgot Ludlam - I really like Ludlam but I'd pick Hill ahead of him. Can't see Ludlam starting at 7 or 8, and I prefer the pace/dynamism of Earl/Simmonds off the bench
I don't think centre is a position of strength for England at the moment.

I think 13 is when you look at the options available
Our issue isn't that we don't have good 13s it's that we've not tried to use them effectively for years

12 less so but then Lawrence isn't a 12

Where was it confirmed Farrell is still captain.....God thats a blunder by Borthwick. And nit just ncurd hate Farrell reasons.

It means he isn't separating himself from the old regime.
We could get stuck in him thinking Smith is better fly half but has to play Farrell at 12 and we're right back where we started.

I know we have a glut of good backrowers, but does the omission of Underhill mean he is out of the picture now?

I know we have a glut of good backrowers, but does the omission of Underhill mean he is out of the picture now?
Probably for the short term. I'd say he is still the single most destructive tackler in the country but, as an Underhill fan, his frequent concussions are concerning and I think a reduced workload would do him good.

I'd have kept Farrell as captain. Think it's the right think for Borthwick to keep some stability. He can change to a match day captain if he wants to drop Farrell and then gives him post the 6 nations to see if he wants to change him or not.

Yep, Farrell confirmed as Captain with Genge and Lawes Vice Captains.

Thought I'd look back at the last 23 of the Jones era v the Boks. T Curry, LCD and Stuart are all injured while to the best of my knowledge Coles, Binny, May, Ribbans and Nowell are all fit and straight omissions from this squad. The 26 also contained Tizard and Porter who are now nowhere to be seen.

Coka wasn't involved that day but looks like another omission so a bit of a come down after starting the Autumn. As it is for Nowell who was a VC at the start of the AIs.

Well regardless of omissions we want in..hes still picked a very strong squad to be fair...and if he can get the side back to playing strong basics initially then i can see them being competitive in the 6n...and he can then assess where they go from there.

Well regardless of omissions we want in..hes still picked a very strong squad to be fair...and if he can get the side back to playing strong basics initially then i can see them being competitive in the 6n...and he can then assess where they go from there.
I hope the basics include improving our discipline in attack as well. Nothing infuriated me more (last season in particular) than a promising attack breaking down due to conceding a penalty in a good attacking position.

I hope the basics include improving our discipline in attack as well. Nothing infuriated me more (last season in particular) than a promising attack breaking down due to conceding a penalty in a good attacking position.
Well if Evans (and Sinfield even though hes defence coach) cant improve the attack...theres an issue somewhere...

Latest posts