• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2023 Six Nations] England Squad

If he starts it should be at 5 - he's only played flanker four times since leaving Saints

I'd play Chessum at 6

Neither for me. I'd much rather an actual flanker than a lock masquerading as a blindside.

Tbf Chessum is the closest we've got/the only one in the squad who plays there regularly

Our other options are opensides or locks (unless Hill gets drafted in and starts)

He wouldn't be my choice but I think he'll be picked there.

4 itoje
5 J.Hill
6 Isiekwe

Obviously I'd start Ted Hil....but ignored by Jones, ignored by Borthwick...is he the next Matt Garvey, Dave Ewers...excellent week in week out yet successive England managers don't rate...

I mean I really like Chessum and what he offers. I might've a saints fan but you can't deny he's a great player. Iseikwe only played flanker at saints as well because we needed a flanker and used him as he was cheaply available. He should start at 5 for Itoje at 4 and then Chessum at 6 I think.

4 itoje
5 Iseikwe
6 Chessum
7 Earl
8 dombrant

I mean I really like Chessum and what he offers. I might've a saints fan but you can't deny he's a great player. Iseikwe only played flanker at saints as well because we needed a flanker and used him as he was cheaply available. He should start at 5 for Itoje at 4 and then Chessum at 6 I think.

4 itoje
5 Iseikwe
6 Chessum
7 Earl
8 dombrant
I'd start Willis at 7 (well I'd start curry but that's unrealistic, I think :p) but other than that that's my pack too

I'd start Willis at 7 (well I'd start curry but that's unrealistic, I think :p) but other than that that's my pack too
I just think with a newish 8 and a newish 6. Earl has more experience than Willis. It's crazy to think how little caps they all have. Cheers Eddie for being a rubbish selector.

4 itoje
5 Iseikwe
6 Chessum
7 Earl
8 dombrant
That would be a very green, if quite exciting, back 5. Unlikely both Isiekwe and Chessum would start.

I'd take that row although I think Hill will start the tournament.

Willis has to be one of the flankers. While accepting that Borthwick likes a line out option at 6, it wouldn't totally surprise me if Ludlam was the other one. If he does go for a lock type then probably Isiekwe given his familiarity with George.

Alex Bywater of the Mail reporting injuries to Vunipola and Daly with Jamie George likely missing the Scotland game due to concussion.

Whether that means a call up for another hooker, who knows (Blamire is our only other recently capped hooker available).

If it was my call over the current squad id be looking at...

6 Jack WIllis
7 Earl
8 Dombrandt

For this hr
Alex Bywater of the Mail reporting injuries to Vunipola and Daly with Jamie George likely missing the Scotland game due to concussion.

Whether that means a call up for another hooker, who knows (Blamire is our only other recently capped hooker available).
If George misses out, the only 2 hookers in the squad now are both uncapped. Blamire presumably next cab off the rank.

I'd probably start McGuigan, but I'm not 100% convinced.

Implies that Lawes is being looked at as a lock not a blindside - unless they're (understandably) panicking over Hill's performance on the weekend

Any Bath fans able to shed any light on Dunn's form? From what I remember he looked like he actually cared when Bath were in their slump, but I've not been watching too carefully

I'd have probably gone for McGuigan starting, too (if JG is out) - he's not playing his best, but Walker's lineout is a worry atm

Implies that Lawes is being looked at as a lock not a blindside - unless they're (understandably) panicking over Hill's performance on the weekend

Any Bath fans able to shed any light on Dunn's form? From what I remember he looked like he actually cared when Bath were in their slump, but I've not been watching too carefully

I'd have probably gone for McGuigan starting, too (if JG is out) - he's not playing his best, but Walker's lineout is a worry atm
I haven't been watching Bath for a while so this might be a bit out of date but Dunns form dropped off fairly drastically after his first England caps (not related to being with England tbh). He didn't look deserving of 3rd position by the tail end of the Jones era. That may have changed now and I really rated him when he did get his caps and, as many on the forum agree, feel he was mucked around by Jones. Who knows, maybe that played on his mind and actually did contribute to the drop in form?

I'll have to start watching again more frequently. I think his form picked up again but is not where it was before.

Could the call up for Ribbans only happening now be a symptom of the restricted number of changes Borthwick was able to make?

I.e. Ribbans was always in the Borthwick bank of wanting to call up, but had him as number one waiting spot whilst Borthwick balanced the squad positions as much as possible with limited available changes.

I'm interested who Borthwick plays at 6

With England he always had Underhill and Curry, at Tigers he's always had a 3rd lineout jumper style 6 that is either a lock or a player who could cover lock.

Could the call up for Ribbans only happening now be a symptom of the restricted number of changes Borthwick was able to make?

I.e. Ribbans was always in the Borthwick bank of wanting to call up, but had him as number one waiting spot whilst Borthwick balanced the squad positions as much as possible with limited available changes.
Possible, but wasn't Ribbans a full member of the AIs squad, so one of his 5 changes would've been dropping him for Isiekwe, and then bringing him straight back?
Unless he was technically an injury replacement for Lawes in the AIs? Seen that before, where an injured player has been kept in the squad just so they can bring in cover.
The 5 changes rule is so dumb, I wish they'd get rid
I'm interested who Borthwick plays at 6

With England he always had Underhill and Curry, at Tigers he's always had a 3rd lineout jumper style 6 that is either a lock or a player who could cover lock.
I really think (and hope) it'll be Chessum
He feels tailor made for want Borthwick wants at 6, and has also played underneath/been mentored by Borthwick

I haven't been watching Bath for a while so this might be a bit out of date but Dunns form dropped off fairly drastically after his first England caps (not related to being with England tbh). He didn't look deserving of 3rd position by the tail end of the Jones era. That may have changed now and I really rated him when he did get his caps and, as many on the forum agree, feel he was mucked around by Jones. Who knows, maybe that played on his mind and actually did contribute to the drop in form?

I'll have to start watching again more frequently. I think his form picked up again but is not where it was before.
Pretty much.

He's doing okay, but not the form that got him capped in the first place; and not the form that rightly saw him dropped.
At Bath he's ahead of Annett on merit; which is decent, but he's not tearing up trees like he has in the past.