• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2023 Six Nations] England Squad

I'm not sure what a lock at 6 brings apart from another jumper at line out ? England have played this three lock setup for a while and our line out is hardly "stand out". Having a tallish flanker at 6 adds so much more at the ruck, tackle area and as a support runner. Seems overkill to put at lock at 6 to assist most.. at a few line outs. As your main jumper should receive well over 50% of the calls anyway

Last edited:
I'm not sure what a lock at 6 brings apart from another jumper at line out ? England have played this three lock setup for a while and our line out is hardly "stand out". Having a tallish flanker at 6 adds so much more at the ruck, tackle area and as a support runner. Seems overkill to put at lock at 6 to assist .. at a few line outs. As your main jumper should receive well over 50% of the calls anyway
Or heres a novel idea...play a huge 6...who plays 6...is in top form...in the South West region....but nope...

From Borthwick in The Times on Dunn getting called up:

"Tom Dunn coaches Chippenham minis, which is where my two boys play. I usually pop over and see him — he coaches the under-8s, mauling and scrummaging.

"It's going to be a physical under-8s team I think! Tom is wonderful, I've known him for a few years and saw him a few weeks ago at Chippenham minis. He's a great character and is desperate to get into the England squad as all the players are."

Well I'm glad players are getting called up due to form and not any other reason…

"Tom Dunn coaches Chippenham minis, which is where my two boys play. I usually pop over and see him — he coaches the under-8s, mauling and scrummaging.

"It's going to be a physical under-8s team I think! Tom is wonderful, I've known him for a few years and saw him a few weeks ago at Chippenham minis. He's a great character and is desperate to get into the England squad as all the players are."

Well I'm glad players are getting called up due to form and not any other reason…
I actually think Dunn could be in a lot of trouble teaching under 8s stuff like that. The RFU has pretty strict guidelines and those are for much older age groups!

What an odd thing for Borthwick to put out there. Even if Dunn's selection is entirely based on form and nothing to do with their friendship, this just puts question marks over the selection that otherwise wouldn't have been there. Seems very naive.

I actually think Dunn could be in a lot of trouble teaching under 8s stuff like that. The RFU has pretty strict guidelines and those are for much older age groups!
Does that mean he's coaching scrummaging and mauling to the U8s or is he coaching the U8s and also scrummaging and mauling to [unspecified] older age groups?

This could be all about the comma!

Although going on to say that it could be a physical U8 team isn't particularly helpful.

Either way he shouldn't have said it. So we have Borthwick's minor misstep. #bringbackeddie

The good old days of nepotism in junior rugby. Kids only getting picked because dad is mates with the coach.

TBH I think had he left off the bit about his sons play there, it would have achieved that better.
Thats also his own personality and humanisation. He's talked about inspiring the next gen to play rugby and this is a very effective way of showing full buy in to that.

I really don't see the issue here

Thats also his own personality and humanisation. He's talked about inspiring the next gen to play rugby and this is a very effective way of showing full buy in to that.

I really don't see the issue here
I don't see it as an issue, per se. I just think that it will inevitably open up both Borthwick and Dunn to criticism from the media/fans if Dunn doesn't perform. It's not a bad thing that he's done it but as I said before, I do think that it's a little naive.

I'm not sure what a lock at 6 brings apart from another jumper at line out ? England have played this three lock setup for a while and our line out is hardly "stand out". Having a tallish flanker at 6 adds so much more at the ruck, tackle area and as a support runner. Seems overkill to put at lock at 6 to assist most.. at a few line outs. As your main jumper should receive well over 50% of the calls anyway
I looked at the stats for lineouts in the 6N and it's about a dozen a side. I still think picking a third lineout option for the 4/3/2/1/0 times you use him in a game is really short sighted.

I looked at the stats for lineouts in the 6N and it's about a dozen a side. I still think picking a third lineout option for the 4/3/2/1/0 times you use him in a game is really short sighted.

If I was playing Devil's Advocate, I guess a counter argument could be the proportion that are 5m where a try is stake against the 140 odd breakdowns where possession is retained in the middle of the pitch to no great effect.

Latest posts