Joe McCarthy (Leinster/Dublin University) 1 cap
Peter O'Mahony (Munster/Cork Constitution) 89 caps
Tom O'Toole (Ulster/Ballynahinch) 4 caps
Andrew Porter (Leinster/UCD) 48 caps
Cian Prendergast (Connacht/Corinthians) 1 cap
James Ryan (Leinster/UCD) 48 caps
Dan Sheehan (Leinster/Lansdowne) 13 caps
Josh van der Flier (Leinster/UCD) 45 cap

Probably time for Carbery to take stock of his career, not play internationally for 3 years and transfer over to his Tier 2 country of birth. Adhering to the spirit of the rule.

From an Ulster POV not too many complaints. Guys like Hume, Lowry and Balacoune who were tearing up trees up until three or four months ago have gone bang off form - although I still think Balacoune would have been good for a spot in the squad. I'm surprised Stockdale has made it as he has been a shadow of the player he was since coming back from injury. No point in even mentioning Cooney at this stage. Couple I thought unlucky to miss out are Treadwell and Timoney who have been playing well and performed well in the Autumn. I also wouldn't be too surprised to see Tom Stewart in there at hooker before too long as he's been very impressive to date.

Overall, not too many surprises. Not too shocked about Carberry - he's been flattering to deceive for years now. Also, surpised Earls made it.

The boys primed to deliver a Grand Slam:

Backs (17):

Bundee Aki (Connacht/Galwegians) 41 caps
Ross Byrne (Leinster/UCD) 14 caps
Craig Casey (Munster/Shannon) 7 caps
Jack Crowley (Munster/Cork Constitution) 2 caps
Keith Earls (Munster/Young Munster) 98 caps
Jamison Gibson Park (Leinster) 23 caps
Mack Hansen (Connacht) 8 caps
Hugo Keenan (Leinster/UCD) 25 caps
Jordan Larmour (Leinster/St Marys College) 30 caps
James Lowe (Leinster) 15 caps
Stuart McCloskey (Ulster/Bangor) 9 caps
Conor Murray (Munster/Garryowen) 100 caps
Jimmy O'Brien (Leinster/Naas) 3 caps
Jamie Osborne (Leinster/Naas) *
Garry Ringrose (Leinster/UCD) 47 caps
Johnny Sexton (Leinster/St Mary's College)(captain) 109 caps
Jacob Stockdale (Ulster/Lurgan) 35 caps

Forwards (20):

Ryan Baird (Leinster/Dublin University) 8 caps
Finlay Bealham (Connacht/Buccaneers) 27 caps
Tadhg Beirne (Munster/Lansdowne) 36 caps
Jack Conan (Leinster/Old Belvedere) 33 caps
Gavin Coombes (Munster/Young Munster) 2 caps
Caelan Doris (Leinster/St Mary's College) 23 caps
Tadhg Furlong (Leinster/Clontarf) 63 caps
Cian Healy (Leinster/Clontarf) 121 caps
Iain Henderson (Ulster/Academy) 68 caps
Rob Herring (Ulster/Ballynahinch) 31 caps
Ronan Kelleher (Leinster/Lansdowne) 18 caps
Dave Kilcoyne (Munster/UL Bohemians) 48 caps
Joe McCarthy (Leinster/Dublin University) 1 cap
Peter O'Mahony (Munster/Cork Constitution) 89 caps
Tom O'Toole (Ulster/Ballynahinch) 4 caps
Andrew Porter (Leinster/UCD) 48 caps
Cian Prendergast (Connacht/Corinthians) 1 cap
James Ryan (Leinster/UCD) 48 caps
Dan Sheehan (Leinster/Lansdowne) 13 caps
Josh van der Flier (Leinster/UCD) 45 cap

Probably time for Carbery to take stock of his career, not play internationally for 3 years and transfer over to his Tier 2 country of birth. Adhering to the spirit of the rule.
On squad.
Earls (and I am a huge fan) is lucky but expect he is in there for experience and to be around camp. The bigger worry is James Lowe is rumoured to be a big maybe due to family commitments.
Murray I get some will be annoyed he is there but I think he is still an important cog especially in games where we need a defensive close out.
On frontrow. Loughman is out injured and himself for Kilcoyne may have been only change. Tom O'Toole is not international standard and I think we may see Cian Healy as a THP off bench this coming.
2nd row on form McCarthy is lucky especially after Treadwell displays in Autumn but it is the right call.
The backrow is hard argue. I'd expect Conan vs Coombes for 20 jersey.

Centres - Osborne took hos chance and while I thought Frisch might get in I can see merit in the selection.
Back 3. As mentioned Earls is lucky as is stockdale. Mike Haley is playing some of best rugby on this island and would have been a good option but Keenan is on form and better and think Haley being just a 15 hurt his chances. Daly and Nash very unlucky too so there is a big debate here especially if Lowe is a no-go for Wales which I'm hearing is a 50/50.

Now on to the 10 call. Hard to argue. Form is a key ingredient. Sexton is Sexton. No form as very little played. Crowley has been electric for Munster and since start of season has fought all the way up to be Ireland #2 now it seems.
Ross Byrne. I have always said I am a fan and sometimes couldn't understand the grief he gets from some Leinster sections as well as other provinces.
We say Leinster players get selected much easier at times but in Ross Byrnes case he has solidified his form over many seasons. A superb basics player and will keep team ticking. If Sexton failed to make Welsh games I would start RB as it will be ****ly and tight and he is best placed to play corners etc. Joey now realises there is a big battle for Munster and Ireland and hope he can fight back and be strong as it now seems he has hit the crossroads.

Crazy to think if I asked 3 months ago out of Munsters 3 10s who wouldn't play 6 Nations rugby most would have said Healy or Crowley.

I think Stewart is a very promising player. He's a Beasty boy. Now call up Hodnett before I start sending death threats.

Kelliher can't catch a break. Went from being on the fringes of Lions squad to really being Ireland back up. Talented lad just needs to stay fit.

https://www.irishrugby.ie/2023/02/1...PrJcC2a1j-yRimPYyNpLnfhyDOc4c3SWYuOd1sVT11d0g

Would guess Beirne could be out for the tournament and Herring for Italy. Relatively unscathed otherwise considering the intensity. Looking at the released to provinces list and dome seriously good players will miss the world cup squad.
Very interesting that it is Baird kept on too. Is he next up as lock reserve.
Thought Crowley would be released back too but I think he will get time vs Italy on this basis.

Screenshot_2023-03-02-15-33-22-66_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

We need Garreth Ringrose back for the Scots. I think their centres have been genuinely impressive this tournament.

Latest posts