• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2023 U20 World Championships

I mean he's only started playing loosehead this year as far as I know. Playing there for Trinity. I do think it allows him to get around the pitch a bit more though. Not that he was exactly lacking there at tighthead.

The path to game time is a bit clearer at tighthead looking at the Leinster squad imo. Good problem to have though.
Think loosehead suits his ball carrying game more. He's pretty new to loosehead but he's made **** of pretty much every scrum he's been up against.

Prendergast will play some URC next season and maybe sneak a Euro appearance off the bench, he's very well rounded for a 20 year old. Kicking out of hand is a bit of a weakness but that's very common for a young player getting used to having less time on the ball. If he stays fit, a first cap towards the end of 2024 is probably quite realistic. Munster twitter really wants to see him fail so it'd be great to see him have a big breakout season.

La Rochelle developed poached a good one in Reus too, looked that bit more rounded and experienced, obviously has had a fairly easy ride with the pack and 9 which probably made the gap between the two bigger but he was very very good.

In 2016 we got Ryan, Connors, Porter, Deegan, Keenan, Stockdale and Daly who all made senior international caps (Vakh too for Georgia), a similar return from this crew would be great.

The TV play by play announcer said Ireland's U20 team has beaten France in three of their last five matches. But it didn't look like it today. I was hoping Ireland would win, but my goodness France totally dominated that second half. Kudos to them.

Prendergast will play some URC next season and maybe sneak a Euro appearance off the bench, he's very well rounded for a 20 year old. Kicking out of hand is a bit of a weakness but that's very common for a young player getting used to having less time on the ball. If he stays fit, a first cap towards the end of 2024 is probably quite realistic. Munster twitter really wants to see him fail so it'd be great to see him have a big breakout season.

La Rochelle developed poached a good one in Reus too, looked that bit more rounded and experienced, obviously has had a fairly easy ride with the pack and 9 which probably made the gap between the two bigger but he was very very good.

In 2016 we got Ryan, Connors, Porter, Deegan, Keenan, Stockdale and Daly who all made senior international caps (Vakh too for Georgia), a similar return from this crew would be great.
Reus is both a student and a rugby player and is studying at La Rochelle Business school, main reason why he is playing for La Rochelle.

Finally a match I cared about this year (and where the result went the right way). Unless World Rugby change the rules, Scotland will have to qualify to even attend the next u20 World Trophy alongside the likes of Netherlands, Portugal and Romania (and Spain if they lose in trophy final against Uruguay). It makes up for the disappointment of Japan being relegated to the u20 Trophy after losing the relegation playoff to Italy.

Disappointing for a largely home grown Scottish side who started the 6N u20s so well this year, but an absolutely vital reminder that rugby XVs is played by more than 10 nations and that if only there was a democratic/representative governing body and a level playing field for all then the sport could become truly global.

Spain defeat Uruguay in the final to reach the u20 World Championship for 2024. Possibly quite a lot of french based players in the Spanish side, even at this age grade. I will be interested to see what sort of reception Spain get from the establishment (e.g. Tier1 u20 fixtures outside of the WC) as I have a sense they are the most favoured Tier2 union outside of NA, PIs and Japan. The one that the 6N unions might be most receptive to in the long term.

Last edited:

Latest posts