2025 British & Irish Lions tour to Australia

Kiwiwomble

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Otago
The British & Irish Lions have today released the nine-match schedule for the 2025 Tour to Australia including three Test matches against the Wallabies.

2025 Lions Tour to Australia (kick off times TBC)
  • 28 June, Lions vs Western Force, Perth (Optus Stadium)
  • 2 July, Lions vs Queensland Reds, Brisbane (Suncorp Stadium)
  • 5 July, Lions vs NSW Waratahs, Sydney (Allianz Stadium)
  • 9 July, Lions vs ACT Brumbies, Canberra (GIO Stadium)
  • 12 July, Lions vs Invitational AU & NZ, Adelaide (Adelaide Oval)
  • 19 July, 1st Test, Lions vs Wallabies, Brisbane (Suncorp Stadium)
  • 22 July, Lions vs Melbourne Rebels, Melbourne (Marvel Stadium)
  • 26 July, 2nd Test, Lions vs Wallabies, Melbourne (Melbourne Cricket Ground/MCG)
  • 2 Aug, 3rd Test, Lions vs Wallabies, Sydney (Accor Stadium)

I havent seen any announcement of the combined NZ & Aus team before, Figured it would have been a big deal, already people suggesting it will only be overseas based NZ players so basically no current AB's

How on earth are they going to promote this if there's no big shift in world rugby after the world cup?

"Can the combined strength of the 1st, 5th and 6th ranked teams in the world beat the 8th ranked team? We've even thrown in a token Welsh guy to carry tackle bags to help."

The Lions is really getting stupid now.

Don't hate the idea of the ANZAC XV game, it's better than the town/country/whatever it was last time around - however if they're forming a random side I'd have rather it been a Pacific Islands XV instead

I'd be ok with a festival type tournament to keep the Lions alive. Lions,
Rest of Europe XV
ANZAC XV
Pacific XV (Could combine this with ANZAC)
Africa XV
Asia XV
Americas XV

Get all the biggest stars of the game in one place and use it to grow the sport. Currently the Lions is self-serving BS with no purpose in the pro game other than nostalgia.

How can we even be sure Australia will exist in 2025? I have it on good authority (god visited me in my dreams last night) that it won't.

To be honest I don't hate it in theory, in practice it's just going to be a hodgepodge invitational team. I do echo the sentiment that lions really doesn't have the same oomph when most of the Lions nations are at least v competitive alone with the three tour countries, especially Oz

I understand it wouldn't be feasible but maybe a two test series with the women's teams would be a good way to grow the game.

I'm assuming gatland will be named coach tomorrow.

How can we even be sure Australia will exist in 2025? I have it on good authority (god visited me in my dreams last night) that it won't.

To be honest I don't hate it in theory, in practice it's just going to be a hodgepodge invitational team. I do echo the sentiment that lions really doesn't have the same oomph when most of the Lions nations are at least v competitive alone with the three tour countries, especially Oz
Yeah they should tour france instead.

I understand it wouldn't be feasible but maybe a two test series with the women's teams would be a good way to grow the game.

I'm assuming gatland will be named coach tomorrow.

In the works by all accounts and I hope it pans out.

Don't really see the point in the Women's Lions tbh, the only thing that's keeping the corpse of the Men's series puttering along is the history of it

Don't hate the idea of the ANZAC XV game, it's better than the town/country/whatever it was last time around - however if they're forming a random side I'd have rather it been a Pacific Islands XV instead
that would be a good new tradition, when coming to NZ or Aus, to play a combined PI team

1689810678477.png

I hope we do a jersey like this and not some fluro thing like the world XV had....would considering buying a modern version of this

The Combined Aus/NZ team is a fun idea, what would be your current starting XV??

1. De Groot 2. Porecki 3. Lomax 4. Rettalick 5. Skelton 6. Frizell 7. Mcreight 8. Savea 9. Smith 10. Cooper (fun factor) 11. Talea/Clarke 12. Karevi 13. Ioane 14. Jordan/Fainga'anuku 15. Barrett

How on earth are they going to promote this if there's no big shift in world rugby after the world cup?

"Can the combined strength of the 1st, 5th and 6th ranked teams in the world beat the 8th ranked team? We've even thrown in a token Welsh guy to carry tackle bags to help."

The Lions is really getting stupid now.
Maybe a couple of English players might be good enough to play

The Combined Aus/NZ team is a fun idea, what would be your current starting XV??

1. De Groot 2. Porecki 3. Lomax 4. Rettalick 5. Skelton 6. Frizell 7. Mcreight 8. Savea 9. Smith 10. Cooper (fun factor) 11. Talea/Clarke 12. Karevi 13. Ioane 14. Jordan/Fainga'anuku 15. Barrett
unfortunately it will have no first string players, aussies obviously keeping them for the tests and kiwis will be playing France

Also realised its in adelaide...which doesnt have a professional rugby team of its own...so baring the novelty factor of people...will take some work getting a big crowd

Latest posts