Frizell
Savea
Sowakula
Smith
Mounga
Faingaanuku
laumape
Goodhue

Now if we assume players still in NZ next year but not in the all blacks 23 can also be leant to this team then i can get myself a hooker and two more outside backs to add to the above. I will assume that in the all blacks 23 we have Taylor and taukeiaho, so aumua can be leant , and then the starting outside backs are beauden barret jordan and telea with perofeta and alb and the back reserves, leaving us narawa and stevenson to be leant.

So a XV of NZ pkayers that could play the lions is
Big karl
Aumua
Nepo
Retallick
Whitelock
Frizell
Savea
Sowakula
Smith
Mounga
Faingaanuku
laumape
Goodhue
Narawa
Stevenson

Now that is certainly a better team than the wallabies side the lions will face.

I saw this too - and my first and last thought was that the lions doesn't have a policy of elective succession! But thanks anyway Warren
True, but he's the obvious candidate to be the 2025 lions coach. At least Warren saw that his time is up as one and shouldn't be head coach of another one.

The real question for me is whether Australia have the stomach for one after Jones' resignation. This tour could well end up 3 zip to the Lions and yet another nail in the coffin of an already dying game in Australia.

I CANNOT WAIT FOR THIS!!!
I was on tour in 2013, Aus is an absolute wonderland for a tourist and rugby supporter, the aus fans and banter is top class, hospitality was amazing, and the atmosphere from 40k travelling fans made every city a party.

Life has gotten in the way of SA and NZ, not that it was my daughters fault for being born lol, but this will be my first chance to travel since 2013.

I get why people dont buy into the lions, but I've always found 100% of those people have never experienced a tour. If they had theyd understand that this is why rugby is rugby.

Started a thread in the 2021 Lions section for picking your team based on today....

I'd back Faz Snr for coach, Townsend would be in a distant second IMO (more Gatland isn't an option).

Russell and Faz jnr will be the leading 10s currently, Owen is well liked amongst the players so has every chance of being tour captain.

Is that saying players will miss the Prem/URC finals to go and join up with the lions earlier...?

Also believe off seasons are good for fans. Has northern hemispheres rugby had a month off since Covid? I know I'm rugby fatigued and haven't watched a full match since the World Cup. Will probably pick up again during champions cup.

I know the players will generally want the honour if being selected and would like to play with other great players, but is there a chance some will just opt out this time? I mean, tha waalabies, really?

What about money, is there money in it for the players?

What about money, is there money in it for the players?
Much like anything that screams and shouts about being for the love of the sport and amateur values (cough Barbarians cough) there's a ton of money involved and that's all the blazers care about

Tourists get a flat fee (around £50k last tour, £65k tour before) and then 5 figure match and win bonuses on top of that

Much like anything that screams and shouts about being for the love of the sport and amateur values (cough Barbarians cough) there's a ton of money involved and that's all the blazers care about

Tourists get a flat fee (around £50k last tour, £65k tour before) and then 5 figure match and win bonuses on top of that
That's good money, and the win bonuses - that's easy money. even id play the wallabies for that.

I'm sure players will be more excited about playing on a winning tour to Australia rather than a loosing tour to New Zealand or South Africa.

They can be a winning tourist and hopefully now Gatland is gone we will actually have a proper selection rather than a load of average welshmen (who were probably born in England).

I'm sure players will be more excited about playing on a winning tour to Australia rather than a loosing tour to New Zealand or South Africa.

They can be a winning tourist and hopefully now Gatland is gone we will actually have a proper selection rather than a load of average welshmen (who were probably born in England).
yeah, i think history will forget how weak the wallabies were (and we dont know they wont turn it around in 18 months) so a win will be important, only one tour victory since 2001 too so getting another will be important for them i would think

That's good money, and the win bonuses - that's easy money. even id play the wallabies for that.
Is it? Maybe I've become blasé thanks to the RFU's largesse, but it strikes me as fairly mean. Without the win bonuses, an England player could theoretically net more money by declining the Lions invite and playing in England's summer tour.

Latest posts