• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

British & Irish Lions tour to South Africa schedule 2021

I thought this map displays the itinerary very well.

Lions2021_Itiner.png

Pretoria missing out big time but I think FNB National Stadium is the right call. A 94000 seater just outside Soweto, where matches have been well supported. Hopefully tickets aren't through the roof.

It's a pity that the stadium we have our best win record at, Ellis Park, is where is it because comparatively Loftus is in a much fan friendly zone.

I thought this map displays the itinerary very well.

Lions2021_Itiner.png

Pretoria missing out big time but I think FNB National Stadium is the right call. A 94000 seater just outside Soweto, where matches have been well supported. Hopefully tickets aren't through the roof.

It's a pity that the stadium we have our best win record at, Ellis Park, is where is it because comparatively Loftus is in a much fan friendly zone.

Pretoria had one last time in 2009, as well as Durban. Guess it's only fair to give other stadiums a chance to host. 2 in Joburg is still okay by me, it's just 50km farther to drive.

You can look at the following:

Tempest car hire
Europcar
Budget Car Hire
Avis Car Hire
Bidvest Car hire

They all have a station at all the main airports in SA.

Plus some of them give you discount depending on your medical aid. Like if you are with Discovery, you get up to 30% discount on Europcar hire and at Kulula.com domestic flights.

First Car Rental is not bad either. Probably the cheapest. I've used that a few times.

why are the tours in July?
it appears that a regular problem is clubs not releasing players especially if they playing in a finals series.
So if the tour is made Aug / Sept - would this allow for players to be released as no competitions are being played?
hope it means the players can spend more time together before the 1st test instead of the players meeting for the first time at the start of game 1 of the tour
surely the Lions tours are easier to go on now in the professional era as unlike days of yor, players are not away from work and home for 3 months on the slow boat to Un Zud. Just gotta tell the club owners to pull their bl00dy heads in & to release players
maybe club comps etc can be reduced in Lions Tour years to reduce player burnout?
Rugby tours are the best -from grass roots up to the RWC & Lions tour levels - for players & spectators.

why are the tours in July?
it appears that a regular problem is clubs not releasing players especially if they playing in a finals series.
So if the tour is made Aug / Sept - would this allow for players to be released as no competitions are being played?
hope it means the players can spend more time together before the 1st test instead of the players meeting for the first time at the start of game 1 of the tour
surely the Lions tours are easier to go on now in the professional era as unlike days of yor, players are not away from work and home for 3 months on the slow boat to Un Zud. Just gotta tell the club owners to pull their bl00dy heads in & to release players
maybe club comps etc can be reduced in Lions Tour years to reduce player burnout?
Rugby tours are the best -from grass roots up to the RWC & Lions tour levels - for players & spectators.

The tour is in June/July, as that is the scheduled period when NH teams tour to the SH nations as opposed to the November schedule when the SH teams have the EOYT in the NH.

It's usually the end of the Super Rugby tournament and prior to the Rugby Championship which is held between August and October.

June and July is also winter time in the SH when the temperatures are more to the likes of the NH teams, making the climate one less factor against the NH teams.

Latest posts