• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2025 British & Irish Lions tour to Australia

Yeah right. No one gives a **** about the Wallabies. Certainly not during a cost of living crisis.
if you compare things to the wallabies of say 2000 then sure...but the actual reality is the more or less filled the MCG last year for a Bledisloe game and i would say kiwi expats are less enthusiastic than british/irish expats, so i expect them to sell out the three games....almost regardless of the results

Are there no middle class people in Australia?
the idea of classes of people is not common in NZ/Aus

...but...who you might call middle class dont follow the rugby...the club scene for example is mostly expats with a few private school boys coming through

the idea of classes of people is not common in NZ/Aus

...but...who you might call middle class dont follow the rugby...the club scene for example is mostly expats with a few private school boys coming through
I kind of meant is there anyone in Australia that has any spare cash after payday.

Last edited:
if you compare things to the wallabies of say 2000 then sure...but the actual reality is the more or less filled the MCG last year for a Bledisloe game and i would say kiwi expats are less enthusiastic than british/irish expats, so i expect them to sell out the three games....almost regardless of the results
It filled with Kiwis mate.

Boomers without a mortgage are about the only 'class' of people with the money and interest.
Nope. Sorry don't fall in to either category. Putting money away for it like I would any holiday

It filled with Kiwis mate.
....and the rest of my sentence said i think Irish/british fans are more passionate than kiwis...ergo....if the kiwis filled it...then i dont think the lions will have trouble filling it

plenty....but they follow the AFL/NRL
Surely not all of them. Either way, I think we agree that I don't think they'll have too many problems selling out stadiums even if there's a lot of people that aren't die hard Union fans and more into AFL and/or NRL.

Surely not all of them. Either way, I think we agree that I don't think they'll have too many problems selling out stadiums even if there's a lot of people that aren't die hard Union fans and more into AFL and/or NRL.
yeah, i dont think Aussie rugby wider problems will effect much about the tour other than the results, the hard core fans will still rock up and there will be a decent whack of curious others that just love an "event"

you cant underestimate how big AFL is though, of the 18 teams 16 are claiming over 50k paying memberships, 7 over 80k and 3 over 100k

6 of the top 8 teams (in terms of members) are based in melbourne (and geelong is only 40 mins down the road), its not unusual to get +80k people to a mid season mid table (ie nothing to play for) game

thats why so many of us were surprised RA stuck with the Rebels...the sole professional rugby team in melbourne who would be stoked to get 15k (probably 10k) to a game

Last edited:
....and the rest of my sentence said i think Irish/british fans are more passionate than kiwis...ergo....if the kiwis filled it...then i dont think the lions will have trouble filling it
Nah it'll sell out for sure - just not with Aussies. My whole post was that the only point of the coming tour is for expats to get on the pxss.

Will be nice to not have the usual Gatland vitriol (sometimes warranted) this tour. Bookmakers have Jac Morgan favourite to be captain. Not sure he'll pick him but would be great or him obviously.

Will be nice to not have the usual Gatland vitriol (sometimes warranted) this tour. Bookmakers have Jac Morgan favourite to be captain. Not sure he'll pick him but would be great or him obviously.
Right now he does seem like the most obvious candidate. Sexton retired, Farrell MIA, Ritchie not really pushing for a place in the 15.

Reckon it will go to whoever Ireland make captain for the next couple years though; probably Ryan.

Right now he does seem like the most obvious candidate. Sexton retired, Farrell MIA, Ritchie not really pushing for a place in the 15.

Reckon it will go to whoever Ireland make captain for the next couple years though; probably Ryan.
Yeah Ryan's not a bad shout. OF will be in the squad I imagine and if he is I won't be surprised if he's captain though the optics aren't great but I don't think Farrel Senior will care too much about that. I guess it's a long way away and a lot can happen between now and then.

I can't see Farrell as captain due to the pressure it would add on to OF. There would also be massive calls of personal bias that would be warranted as OF isn't that good and is hardly going to get bet there at talking to refs or faster in the next two years.

I'd 100% expect it to be the next Irish captain or vice captain.

Only the second time in the 20 tours since 1955 that the head coach has been English. And the other one didn't go so well.

Latest posts