• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

5 things THE GOOD AND 5 things BAD AT THIS WORLD CUP

THE GOOD

1. Pumas!!
2. Open rugby from the SH nations
3. The improvement of the Tier 2 teams
4. Ample coverage (I'm watching the games in Austria with German commentary on Eurosport)
5. Pumas!! (sorry had to put that again)

THE BAD

1. Some spotty refereeing
2. Lack of fire from some NH teams
3. Fear of 'soccerization' of the sport
4. Watching England fall apart (as much as I root against them I hoped they could have put up a good streak)
5. Seeing NZ lift the cup again (from my perspective at least)

Burgess and Farrell ?
RL fan (we've seen others) goes too much on what Burgess accomplished in League which was immense and not enough on what little he's accomplished in Union. Burgess will come good probably but whether he pushes for England starting spot in the back row remains to be seen. He's not an inside center though never was.

Farrell he played two games fly-half (and warm up for the B side) and was adequate (I didn't see the Urguay match but virtually any side we put out would of done well) he wasn't the reason we lost those games but I wouldn't say he was the guy that put us in a position to win them either.

Honestly I'd just be dubious in putting anything England did in the good pile unless you like seeing England make a cock up of it all.

Wait wait wait, is there a Youtube clip of the Owens - concussion thing?

RL fan (we've seen others) goes too much on what Burgess accomplished in League which was immense and not enough on what little he's accomplished in Union. Burgess will come good probably but whether he pushes for England starting spot in the back row remains to be seen. He's not an inside center though never was.

Farrell he played two games fly-half (and warm up for the B side) and was adequate (I didn't see the Urguay match but virtually any side we put out would of done well) he wasn't the reason we lost those games but I wouldn't say he was the guy that put us in a position to win them either.

Honestly I'd just be dubious in putting anything England did in the good pile unless you like seeing England make a cock up of it all.

I think Burgess can go on to be a top class flanker, not sure if he's a 6 or 7, suspect blindside would be his best position, as a centre he is way down the pecking order.
I enjoy Rugby League but it will never be a global game, were as Union is expanding year on year currently according to WIKI Union is played in 117 countries. League has less than 30 National sides.

GOOD

Sam Burgess
Sonny Bill Williams
New Zealand
Owen Farrell
Scotland

BAD

The Rest of the England Team
Craig Joubert
Time Stoppages
Kick and Clap
Minimal Agression

You forgot Nehe Milner Skudder (bulldogs) and
Maurie Fa'asavalu (St. Helens)
How did I forget izzy Folau

Last edited:
Il tell you one good thing about Rugby Union which they beat League hands down every time. ADVERTISING - If you look at club level games for Union the amount of fans turning up is atrocious and im sure there a swindle going on to keep these clubs running. But when it comes to internationals the brains behind the operation really know how to work the fans so credit where credit is due for the crowds they achieve at Twickenham, RL is taking notes.

I'm guessing it's an English thing then, cause here in Argentina we get a lot of crowds for the club games (and we're an amateur division).

Hes a troll mate, best to ignore

It's alright. I'm geniuinely intrigued by this Union/League rivarly/bitterness that seems to be ingrained in the Anglo community. I've seen League games, a bit one-dimensional for my taste, but not a bad sport. :)

Il tell you one good thing about Rugby Union which they beat League hands down every time. ADVERTISING - If you look at club level games for Union the amount of fans turning up is atrocious and im sure there a swindle going on to keep these clubs running. But when it comes to internationals the brains behind the operation really know how to work the fans so credit where credit is due for the crowds they achieve at Twickenham, RL is taking notes.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Nope I said from Wigan - Didn't forget anyone Braaah! But you missed the most important one of all Sonny Bill Williams!

Ok I'm not following.. I thought you were mentioning RL players. Burgess and SBW aren't from Wigan.

Yeh your probably right maybe they should get with the times and move into the 3 dimensional era of kick, clap and cry.

Lol, I wasn't criticizing League, just said I personally don't like it as much as Union.

I rattled off a few names and you replied
- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Nope I said from Wigan -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

I know what you mean but it's ignorant to say RL is one dimensional when it's a faster paced and most certainly a tougher form of Rugby where the players need a higher level of fitness to compete than Union.[/QUOTE]
Maybe in the NRL but that super league comp you have up there is park level football.

I know what you mean but it's ignorant to say RL is one dimensional when it's a faster paced and most certainly a tougher form of Rugby where the players need a higher level of fitness to compete than Union.

Sorry if it came across like that, let me rephrase:

Having watched my fair share of League games, including a couple of State of Origin games and a good amount of NRL games I found the action in the games to be somewhat repetitive to what I'm used to seeing in Union. This didn't take away from some of the excitement during the game, but it felt a little "lather, rinse, repeat" for me. That being said, I'm astounded by the level of fitness in League and see why SH teams do better against NH in Union by following a more open attack-styled play similar to League.

I am not familiar with the social/historical aspect of League so I cannot comment any comparisons from my experiences playing Union.

From the little I have learned from some friends in my team (Aussies who played both codes) I've understood that League has been professional forever and was therefore considered to be the "superior code" for a while, given that players were paid to ply their craft, and that amateur Union sides stuck to the so-called League term "Kick and Clap".

In any case, I hope we can discuss this as civilized people, since I've seen some of the vitriol flung from both sides. Again, must be an Anglo thing I'm not aware of. :)

I agree and that's why the kick and clap reference is not far off the mark and a big reason England RU are so bad at the minute. If they actually played with the ball more then they would ultimately score more tries. Owen Farrell is one of the best passers of a ball in the sport of Union but it's just a shame most of the other players are not on his level and cannot read the game of rugby better.

Well you do have to admit that Argentina, without any sort of League influence, is playing pretty damn well with ball-handling and all that. I'm sure some of our boys could cross-code with no issues.

Latest posts