• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

5 things THE GOOD AND 5 things BAD AT THIS WORLD CUP

The good
The new posters on here who have added to the discussion, and will hopefully stick around.
The bad
Being so ill for the last two weeks I've barely had the energy to log on and read things, let alone post on them.

Hope you are better now, and well enough to enjoy the rugby at the week-end!

Lets see

Good

1. NZ vs France
2. Japan
3. All SH semis
4. Gulf between tier 1 and tier 2 seems to be dropping

Bad

1. WR and the Joubert incident
2. Joubert running from the pitch after the game
3. Short turnarounds between what could have been key games
4. Welsh injuries
5. Inconsistent disciplinary action

Right,here we go......
Good
1.TV pundits 2.Japan's fullback 3.Dan Biggar (for inventing a new dance craze) 4.Argentina v Ireland 5.Winning fifty quid on a teble.
Bad
1.Losing sixty five quid on a treble 2.That god awful womans voice singing 'World in Union'.Why didn't they hire a professional.3.Hoggs' diving 4.Englands early exit.5.World Rugby
hanging out Joubert to dry.

1) Japan
2) Fiji scrum (what a turnaround)
3) the atmosphere have all seemed really good.
4) As said more posters
5) Standard from lower teams has improved a lot and questions need to be answered about more top flight rugby for them.

The bad.
1) the arrogance
2) World in union by Paloma Faith
3) Referees consistency same with bans.
4) Unfair money distribution
5) England early exit.

1. The stadiums and attendances, breaking all records.
2. Japan
3. Argentina
4. Weather staying mainly dry.
5. The most exciting pool stage in any WC ever, apart from the group C procession.

1. That song.
2. Yellow card lottery, some stuff gets spotted, but lots didn't, it's a lottery.
3. NH demise.
4. Out of the 45 games played to date, only about 8-10 have been competitive close games, the other 35-37 games were non contests within 20 minutes.
5. NZ fanboy arrogance.

GOOD:

1.- The stadiums and attendances, breaking all records.
2.- Amazing and thrilling matches
3.- Samona, Tonga and Fiji (keeping they fantastic way of playing rugby)
4.- The use of TMO to prevent injustices like already happens in soccer/football/futbol
5.- The system that was implemented to avoid ilegal tickets resells

BAD:

1.- The bad Craig Joubert´s decision that private Scotland to be in Semi-Finals also the way that he left the pitch.
2.- Wales and Ireland injuries
3.- Inconsistent disciplinary action
4.- Wales and Scotland not in Semi Finals
5.- A lot of countries with a lot of foreign players

GOOD:
All Blacks in to the final.
Savea and Nehe on form.
Victor Matfield being called for that neck roll... lucky ABs.
Pocock way off his game.
All Blacks having more depth than the Pacific Ocean.

BAD:
Australian officials interfering with Scotland citation ruling.
Pocock not being cited.
Joubert being hung out to dry (as per two lines above, 'thanks Aussies officials'...)
Wallaby supporters thinking the All Blacks were choking against Georgia and Namibia (unforced errors, etc)
Wales not destroying The Wallabies when Wallabies had those massive defensive overlaps with 13 men.

GOOD:
All Blacks in to the final.
Savea and Nehe on form.
Victor Matfield being called for that neck roll... lucky ABs.
Pocock way off his game.
All Blacks having more depth than the Pacific Ocean.

BAD:
Australian officials interfering with Scotland citation ruling.
Pocock not being cited.
Joubert being hung out to dry (as per two lines above, 'thanks Aussies officials'...)
Wallaby supporters thinking the All Blacks were choking against Georgia and Namibia (unforced errors, etc)
Wales not destroying The Wallabies when Wallabies had those massive defensive overlaps with 13 men.

Whoooa, why do you hate the Australians sooooo much man?

Have you just come back from Xmas Island?

If you listened to Veitchy (ZB) with Pocock as guest speaker, you'd be amazed.

When I was younger, probably your age, I detested OZ, looking back now, I've got no idea why except the 'tall poppy' syndrome.

Good

Japan
Iain Henderson - really excited for him in the future as a player after his WC performance
Argentina
Fans/atmosphere
How many promising young players are stepping up and made an impact

Bad

Referee/citing inconsistencies
Paul O'Connell's last match for Ireland ending the way it did, stretchered off at half time.
England media coverage and how winning or losing they're all you heard about
Injuries - especially those who now will miss several months
ITV coverage for those in NI - we have to rely on UTV and the UTV online stream isn't great.

Bad.. well 5 isn't really enough.

1. The citing panel - knobheads
2. The officiating is still retarded
3. England
4. English commentary, especially in All Black games.
5. Obvious bias towards Australia

Good.

1. Scotland
2. Japan
3. NZ vs France
4. Pocock
5. Whitelock

Bad - the World in Union sounding like the World in Onion. A very poor rendition, best forgotten.
Bad - England failing to get out of the pool stages- not great for the tournament.
Bad - citing inconsistencies. Argentina get hammered then Scotland get two off the hook completely
Bad - A certain Mr Hogg simulating a foul. Electric shock treatment should wake him up.
Bad - Northern Hemisphere teams lacking the fortitude to guts it out in the latter part of the tournament when the heat really gets turned up.

Good - Japan, Japan, Japan
Good - Nigel Owens refereeing style, a breath of fresh air amidst the stop start style of his contemporaries
Good - Wallabies and All Blacks Final. The two best teams meet in the Big One.
Good - Georgia. They came they saw and they smashed it up.
Good - Kiwi coaches. The Home Nations with Kiwi coaches all made it to the quarter finals. Those three blokes must be doing something right.

Whoooa, why do you hate the Australians sooooo much man?

Have you just come back from Xmas Island?

If you listened to Veitchy (ZB) with Pocock as guest speaker, you'd be amazed.

When I was younger, probably your age, I detested OZ, looking back now, I've got no idea why except the 'tall poppy' syndrome.

Nothing I said there was incorrect though... :|

1.Atmosphere and support - unbelievable, really kicked rugby on.
2. Japan and Argentina in particular, but the progress of others as well.
3. Nigel Ownes style of refeering and for giving us the quote when a Scottish player (i think) was diving at St James Park football stadium ''if you want to do that - come back in 2 weeks!"
4.The Australian chase from behind their 10 yard line vs Argentina - we''l see ,ore of this.
5. kick and gather - this is the best offensive weapon in my opinion for breaking up a game and done so well by so many: Mike Brown, Rob Kearney, Stuart Hogg, Kurtley Beale, Carter etc.
6. Have to put in Dan Biggars Macarena dance.

THE BAD
1. WORLD IN UNION PERIOD. Don't care who sings it - i detest this mawkish horrible song, always have done - how it conjures up or epitomises the drama and thrill that is about to ensue - i have no idea. It is a bad hangover for ''the bloody nice blokes'' image of English rugby in particular way back. Get rid of it, and less have something more stirring.
2.LACK OF SINGING. would just like to hear so much more chanting from the terraces - SH definitley inferior here. Wouldn't be a bad idea to take a lead from the football fraternity here - doesn't have to be crude though. I have been on a couple of lions tours to SA - and am always disappointed by the lack great singing in the bars and clubs and fan areas: full renditions of Dublins Fair City, Bread of Heaven, Swing Lo, Flower of Scotland, etc - and what i'd give for a MASS father Abraham.
3. England failure. It would have been fantastic for them to reach the final - just in terms of taking the whole tournament to fever pitch.
4.Clock countdown and mexican waves - just think they belong at the circus or butlins.
5.Not being there.

you must have a Scottish wife who left you for an even stupider Welshman,to have so much hate towards my great country

- - - Updated - - -

this has been the best world cup ever some of the games will go down as classics,to give the English there due they filled every stadium,which to me makes a lot of difference looking at a half empty stadium makes the game look bad

Funny singing is mentioned. Ditch the Swing Low slave song and adapt a football anthem like come on you spurs/YNWA/Forever blowing bubbles/delilah etc, NZ could do the same, we play "Why does love do this to me" - The Exponents and "Loyal" - Dave Dobbyn like there is no other song to play... annoys the hell out of me.

1.Atmosphere and support - unbelievable, really kicked rugby on.
2. Japan and Argentina in particular, but the progress of others as well.
3. Nigel Ownes style of refeering and for giving us the quote when a Scottish player (i think) was diving at St James Park football stadium ''if you want to do that - come back in 2 weeks!"
4.The Australian chase from behind their 10 yard line vs Argentina - we''l see ,ore of this.
5. kick and gather - this is the best offensive weapon in my opinion for breaking up a game and done so well by so many: Mike Brown, Rob Kearney, Stuart Hogg, Kurtley Beale, Carter etc.
6. Have to put in Dan Biggars Macarena dance.

THE BAD
1. WORLD IN UNION PERIOD. Don't care who sings it - i detest this mawkish horrible song, always have done - how it conjures up or epitomises the drama and thrill that is about to ensue - i have no idea. It is a bad hangover for ''the bloody nice blokes'' image of English rugby in particular way back. Get rid of it, and less have something more stirring.
2.LACK OF SINGING. would just like to hear so much more chanting from the terraces - SH definitley inferior here. Wouldn't be a bad idea to take a lead from the football fraternity here - doesn't have to be crude though. I have been on a couple of lions tours to SA - and am always disappointed by the lack great singing in the bars and clubs and fan areas: full renditions of Dublins Fair City, Bread of Heaven, Swing Lo, Flower of Scotland, etc - and what i'd give for a MASS father Abraham.
3. England failure. It would have been fantastic for them to reach the final - just in terms of taking the whole tournament to fever pitch.
4.Clock countdown and mexican waves - just think they belong at the circus or butlins.
5.Not being there.

Hah. I bet none of the English squad have even heard of Father Abraham let alone sung it with all the actions. Years ago our junior club did it on a ferry in Canada when the national TV cameras were on board. Happy days! Is there a favourite rugby songs thread yet?

Similarly great memories of Father Abrahaming our way around Argentina, with hosts joining in - hilarious. Have to say that Cardiff is the best place i have been for singing after a game - where Calon lan and many others have just reverberated all round the hotel, bar etc. Not sure it is so much in evidence these days, could be wrong.

Latest posts