• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

50:22 and more to be globally trialled by WR

i was meaning in return, if a defensive team successfully drops to cover the 50:22 kick, if they counter from deep theyre less likely to try the same thing back so may go for the attacking bomb and compete in the air
Ah right same page now - will be interesting to see what happens to kick tennis as well, it'll be much higher risk / reward

yeah, we get reece hodge v jordie barrett and it could be kick tennis with some fat blokes in the middle getting ****** off running back a forth
Maybe they could add the halfway bench seat rule - dont have to get onside during kick tennis if you are sitting on the halfway bench seat.

More kicking, that's all that's going to encourage. Booooo for more of Welsh ******* about with things that don't need changing while failing to sort the ruck.

50:22 rule I'm quite iffy about. Feel like an attacking team around the halfway line has a huge advantage now. Either the defending team has more gaps in their defence or the attackers can kick for a lineout. Even if the defending does catch it before it goes out they are then only likely to clear to the halfway line again and be under the same pressure.

Goal line drop out I'm happy with as I feel with scrums, dominant teams just camp on the goal line and a try often feels inevitable. Especially with often giving away penalties. This also combines with the pods and latches players as I've felt for a while that the latched player kills most competition.

In regards to prelatched pods, refs have been watching when taking a quick tap penalty, but seems it is expanding to open play too, which is good. Definitely more opportunities for turnovers it seems.

Lower limbs I'm not sure about. Definitely don't want to see another Leavy injury, but also we saw Jack Willis get injured when his body was rolled, so it could lead to more of those types of injuries instead.

Goal line drop out I'm happy with as I feel with scrums, dominant teams just camp on the goal line and a try often feels inevitable. Especially with often giving away penalties. This also combines with the pods and latches players as I've felt for a while that the latched player kills most cocompetition.
Scrums take to long and play stay camped on the line but i think this rule goes to far the other way, work hard to get across the try line and if held up(or grounded but to many bodies in the way) your back near half way with a line out if they have a good kicker. Im not a fan of this rule but not against something being done.

Scrums take to long and play stay camped on the line but i think this rule goes to far the other way, work hard to get across the try line and if held up(or grounded but to many bodies in the way) your back near half way with a line out if they have a good kicker. Im not a fan of this rule but not against something being done.
Yeah I can see that. How else could it be solved? Defensive scrum instead of attacking scrum? But then we get into the silly maul defence territory.

I wouldn't mind a dead ball line clearance, even having the chasers on the try line. But conceivably being closer to your 10m line than the 22 after being held up doesn't sit right with me.
I imagine the issue with that is someone stupidly deciding to kick from behind the posts and actually hitting the posts which create a huge mess and just look embarrassing. Yeah it shouldn't happen, but don't underestimate the stupidity of some people.

Yeah I can see that. How else could it be solved? Defensive scrum instead of attacking scrum? But then we get into the silly maul defence territory.
I think i said my idea before on this thread ball cant go past half way before bouncing and cant go out on the full, if it does its a 5m attacking scrum, if not its open play. Keeps attacking in their half, keeps play fast and punishes mistakes.

I think i said my idea before on this thread ball cant go past half way before bouncing and cant go out on the full, if it does its a 5m attacking scrum, if not its open play. Keeps attacking in their half, keeps play fast and punishes mistakes.
Yeah that could work. (Purely playing devil's advocate here though) I wonder if WR were worried about making the issue to complex for casual fans. If you add this to new rules you have around kicking.

Kicking in play - If inside your 22 then ball can go off the pitch without bouncing and the opposition get a line out, but if outside your 22 then the ball has to bounce before going off the field or the opposition get a lineout back in line with where you kicked it. However if you are in your own half and the ball bounces from your kick and goes off inside the opponents 22 then you get the lineout. If you have a penalty then you can kick the ball off without bouncing and your team get the lineout. If the ball is held up over the line then the defending team get a clearing kick from the try line. However, if the ball goes over the halfway line or off the field without bouncing then the attacking team gets a 5 metre scrum.

If you take all that it definitely makes it more complicated for the casual viewer and WR is trying to grow the game beyond regular fans.

Yeah that could work. (Purely playing devil's advocate here though) I wonder if WR were worried about making the issue to complex for casual fans. If you add this to new rules you have around kicking.

Kicking in play - If inside your 22 then ball can go off the pitch without bouncing and the opposition get a line out, but if outside your 22 then the ball has to bounce before going off the field or the opposition get a lineout back in line with where you kicked it. However if you are in your own half and the ball bounces from your kick and goes off inside the opponents 22 then you get the lineout. If you have a penalty then you can kick the ball off without bouncing and your team get the lineout. If the ball is held up over the line then the defending team get a clearing kick from the try line. However, if the ball goes over the halfway line or off the field without bouncing then the attacking team gets a 5 metre scrum.

If you take all that it definitely makes it more complicated for the casual viewer and WR is trying to grow the game beyond regular fans.
Agree but tbh id argue its a rule that speeds up the game so one more kicking rule that happens only every so often that leads to more fluid play or an attacking scrum vs a long kick and a linout. IMO its still better for a casual fan.

So, it's been a season with the 50:22 rule? Do people think it has worked as intended, which was to create more space for attacking teams and allow teams to get up the field quicker?

Just some quick data from last 3 years (as I can't be asked to go back further):

English Premiership: (league only, not play offs)
Tries scored 2019/20: 735 (Highest individual: 83, Lowest individual: 35, Average: 61.25)
Tries scored 2020/21: 756 (Highest individual: 93, Lowest individual: 39, Average: 63)
Tries scored 2021/22: 1041 (Highest individual: 99, Lowest individual: 57, Average: 80.15)

Pro12/14/3782 (Or whatever the league is called now) (League only not play offs)
Tries scored 2019/20: 582 (Highest individual: 74, Lowest individual: 21, Average: 41.57)
Tries scored 2020/21: 510 (Highest individual: 82, Lowest individual: 22, Average: 42.5)
Tries scored 2021/22: 859 (Highest individual: 73, Lowest individual: 32, Average: 53.69)

Top 14: (League only)
Tries scored 2019/20: 541 (Highest individual: 53, Lowest individual: 27, Average: 38.64)
Tries scored 2020/21: 931 (Highest individual: 92, Lowest individual: 30, Average: 66.5)
Tries scored 2021/22: 600 (Highest individual: 55, Lowest individual: 30, Average: 42.86)

Champions Cup:
Tries scored 2019/20: 333 (Highest individual: 28, Lowest individual: 11, Average: 16.65. Knockouts: 36, Average: 5.14)
Tries scored 2020/21: 138 (Highest individual: 12, Lowest individual: 0, Average: 5.75. Knockouts: 67, Average: 4.79)
Tries scored 2021/22: 274 (Highest individual: 30, Lowest individual: 3, Average: 11.42. Knockouts: 122, Average: 5.3)

Challenge Cup:
Tries scored 2019/20: 377 (Highest individual: 30, Lowest individual: 6, Average: 18.85. Knockouts: 28, Average: 4.66)
Tries scored 2020/21: 80 (Highest individual: 9, Lowest individual: 2, Average: 5.71. Knockouts: 102, Average: 6.8)
Tries scored 2021/22: 175 (Highest individual: 23, Lowest individual: 4, Average: 11.66. Knockouts: 101, Average: 6.73)

So overall I'd say there is some evidence for more tries, especially in the URC and Premiership. French league is a bit weird. European rugby has been hit heavily by covid, so data isn't as useful. Personally I've felt in the premiership that there have been far more tries and it could be down to poor defence. However, the aim was for more tries and there were.

I didn't like it at first - think the first game of the seasons (Bristol vs Saracens?) was one of the most negative games I've ever seen, both sides just kicking constantly to try and get one

Teams settled into it more and I actually quite like it now - and seeing one executed almost gives the same sort of buzz as a well executed drop goal,
Can really lift the crowd

50:22 is great because it rewards exceptional kicks, and you can't really achieve them with kick tennis normally because they only work when teams are caught out of position, usually on the counter.

I don't like it as it's an additional law that we don't really need.

Rugby needs to be more accessible and this change is almost 'for the sake of it' law.

It's a fair point that rugby has enough rules but it's better than being able to kick straight into touch from anywhere on the field (old school style) and I think is needed to help free up space and create opportunities for tactical variation. Personally I really like it.

Which laws would we get rid of? I'm all for simplifying the game but can't put my finger on specific things right now

Latest posts