• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

6 nations group B

I

ikvat

If European Tycoons want to involve more European country into the international scene, it is more than urgent to create a group B tournament.

You might be on to something here. What teams are you thinking of? Maybe Romania, Georgia, Portugal, Russia, Spain and Germany?

If there was a Group B, or second tier 6nations competition, the winner from div 2, should play the team who came last in div 1 and if div 2 wins they they are promoted and div 1 is relegated! Or not...lol. The promotion/relegation system would be an encouraging factor though.

Georgie , Roumanie, Portugal, R-Tcheque, Russie, Ukraine

Your idea about a "match de barrage "(in french) between the first of the B group and the last of the A group is very interesting.

I think the 6 nations should be made into an annual European tournament. All nations with a rugby team, no matter what level are entered. Basically it should be like a league system. So you can have about 7 leagues all together of 6 teams each. Obviously the top league will be the current 6 nations and the bottom league the worst of the nations.

To be promoted you must beat bottom of the division above in a play-off match if you finish top (to ensure the better teams stay in the top leagues of course). Eventually we could see the likes of Romania or Georgia improve enough to defeat Italy or Wales if they play them every year in these playoff matches.

Just an idea of course.

Without reading the thread in full... but now I have I see someone else already had the idea. However I think it should be done on a larger scale. Every nation has a rugby team, just not enough nations are bothered to try and improve it. This is one way of doing so, by creating a European league system of say 6 or 7 divisions and a chance to always be promoted every year or demoted of course.

This is an excellent idea, the playoff between the top team in the lower and bottom team in the higher league is a perfect idea.

Proberly nothing much would change in the top tier for a while, but it'll gradually get there. Money would be the only obsticle I can see, some of the smaller rugby nations haven't got the finding to travel to other countries to play every year. Being invited into a tourny might force some more funding though?

I'd have no problem with a promotion/relegation playoff from the 6 Nations the the European Nations Cup. As has been said before, the top 6 are quite a bit better than the next groupl but the gap would close over time. The only provision should be that it is done on a two year cycle so every team has a home and away fixture against each other.

I have always wondered why there isn't a European Championship for European teams. It could happen very 2 years, with the top 10 teams in Europe (England, France, Wales, Ireland, Scotland, Italy, Romania, Georgia, Portugal and Spain etc)

The top 10 European teams qualify and the others don't. The top 6 teams qualify automatically, but the other teams have to have scheduled round robin to decide which 4 can qualify.

Teams like Georgia and Romania are good, they just need to be involved more. Look at the football. Since when should Russia beat England or Wales struggle against San Marino?

This is a great idea, I love the prospect of it. Only, I think promotion and relegation would be best to be avoided until it can be proved that a B group can be successful. Once proven successful then promotion and relegation could be introduced without an issue.

Though for the countries to be involved in a B group, in my opinion we should look at obvious choices like Romania, Georgia, Russia, Spain and Portugal. The last selection can be easily debated IMO.

Germany would be a good choice, but if they are to be replaced by another prospective team we should also consider Moldova since they are really proving themselves from current results and right behind the Germans in the World ranks. The only issue I have is that they haven't played many matches in their history so far.

Take a look at overall results from these nations:

Romania
Games won: 192 (57.83%)
Games lost: 131 (39.46%)
Games drawn: 9 (2.71%)

Georgia
Games won: 53 (58.24%)
Games lost: 34 (37.36%)
Games drawn: 4 (4.40%)

Russia
Games won: 40 (53.33%)
Games lost: 31 (41.33%)
Games drawn: 4 (5.33%)

Spain
Games won: 121 (49.39%)
Games lost: 114 (46.53%)
Games drawn: 10 (4.08%)

Portugal - only prospective nation with a losing record
Games won: 77 (43.26%)
Games lost: 90 (50.56%)
Games drawn: 11 (6.18%)

Germany
Games won: 59 (53.15%)
Games lost: 49 (44.14%)
Games drawn: 3 (2.70%)

Moldova
Games won: 26 (61.90%)
Games lost: 14 (33.33%)
Games drawn: 2 (4.76%)

Ukraine
Games won: 32 (50.79%)
Games lost: 30 (47.62%)
Games drawn: 1 (1.59%)

When comparing the final three we have these results:

Germany vs Moldova
Games played: 2
Games won by Germany: 1
Games won by Moldova: 1
Games drawn: None
Largest points for Germany: 27 (18 - 27)
Largest points for Moldova: 26 (26 - 24)
Largest winning margin for Germany: 9 (18 - 27)
Largest winning margin for Moldova: 2 (26 - 24)

Germany vs Ukraine
Games played: 5
Games won by Germany: 2
Games won by Ukraine: 2
Games drawn: 1
Largest points for Germany: 26 (26 - 26)
Largest points for Ukraine: 26 (26 - 26)
Largest winning margin for Germany: 8 (14 - 22)
Largest winning margin for Ukraine: 7 (12 - 19)

Moldova vs Ukraine
Games played: 2
Games won by Moldova: 1
Games won by Ukraine: 1
Games drawn: None
Largest points for Moldova: 17 (16 - 17)
Largest points for Ukraine: 38 (38 - 0)
Largest winning margin for Moldova: 1 (16 - 17)
Largest winning margin for Ukraine: 38 (38 - 0)

Really, we have a tough decision here since all of them are cut down the middle! Really interesting. Thing is they can of course be seperated by points, but you have to remember that Moldova's losses, particularly that hammering by Ukraine were back when they were still starting up.

Opinions?

this already exists except without the promotion to the six nations its called the european nations cup and is played out over a period of 2 years
Division 1 is: Georgia, Russia, Spain, Romania, Portugal and the Czech Republic
results so far:
03-Feb-2007 Romania - Georgia 17 - 20 (6 - 13)
03-Feb-2007 Portugal - Spain 21 - 18 (10 - 13)
10-Feb-2007 Spain - Russia 14 - 39 (6 - 13)
10-Mar-2007 Romania - Spain 50 - 14 (24 - 7)
17-Mar-2007 Czech Republic - Romania 13 - 46 (7 - 29)
17-Mar-2007 Spain - Georgia 31 - 17 (9 - 5)
24-Mar-2007 Georgia - Russia 31 - 12
07-Apr-2007 Georgia - Czech Republic 98 - 3 (57 - 0)
21-Apr-2007 Russia - Czech Republic 62 - 6 (29 - 0)
05-May-2007 Czech Republic - Spain 15 - 42 (10 - 24)
12-May-2007 Portugal - Russia 13 - 21
19-May-2007 Czech Republic - Portugal 3 - 23

there are 18 games left to go with 3 coming up in november those being:
03-Nov-2007 Spain - Czech Republic (Madrid)
04-Nov-2007 Romania - Russia (Bucharest)
10-Nov-2007 Georgia - Portugal (Tbilisi)

table stands as follows:
Georgia played 4 won 3 10pts
Russia played 4 won 3 10pts
Spain played 5 won 2 9pts
Romania played 3 won 2 7pts
Portugal played 3 won 2 7pts
Czech Republic played 5 won 0 5pts

more info about the other divisions at http://www.fira-aer-rugby.com

And Argentina Can be add in this tournament .... [/b]

Well moving Argentina land from South-America to Europe will require million of years and unbelievable quantity of energy...

And Argentina Can be add in this tournament ....
[/b]

Yeah, why not? Los Pumas can play against those team ... and they can also play AND BEAT Six Nations champion (the real one not this European Cup) too ...

Well moving Argentina land from South-America to Europe will require million of years and unbelievable quantity of energy...[/b]

Yes, that was the idea ...

Latest posts