6 Nations Thread 2023

Leonormous Boozer

Fat Boi
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Leinster
Get this going with the announcement of referees.

https://www.world.rugby/the-game/high-performance/officiating/778278

Raynal for Wales v England... This website will explode!

Barnes for Ireland v France doesn't please me too much, Irish teams tend to get a tough ride with him.

Also, as a general statement, anything short of a grand slam has to be views as a failure for us this tournament. Number one team, playing the defending champs and third best team in the comp at home and a fairly favourable draw. Not saying we will win it but that has to be the standard set.

If we manage to Jedi mind trick the Irish into losing the opener then we'll win the Grand Slam. WC final pretty much guaranteed after that.

Dickinson Wales v Ireland traditionally a fiesty game and loads of gobbling beforehand.
For me a SA or NZ ref far better appointment.
KD will have a mare.
But of course many players will be worse, but it allows fans to blame the ref.
Predicted 12 weeks out.

Ireland struggles when the best ref in the world is there to mange the breakdown.

Who did England **** off to get Raynal and Peyper?

Not convinced this is as big a loss as made out to be (reckon we missed Lowe more in the Autumn) but Cardiff and France are two pretty big asks without Johnny if he misses the start. If we can win those two without him I'll start to get very excited.

Not convinced this is as big a loss as made out to be (reckon we missed Lowe more in the Autumn) but Cardiff and France are two pretty big asks without Johnny if he misses the start. If we can win those two without him I'll start to get very excited.

It's your year this year boyo but won't lie, happy if Sexton isn't playing though I doubt it will make to much difference to the result really. Hoping it will be a close game at least

Sexton will be a big loss, Ireland just don't play as cohesively without him. Howver you still have a world class set of forwards which could win you most matches regardless.

I think it may also be a good thing for Ireland though looking ahead to the WC. I just can't see Sexton making it through an entire WC campaign given his age and injury record over the last few years. So this 6n is the perfect time for Ireland to make sure they have a solid backup option should they need it.

Step up Ross Byrne?

IMO he should start for Ireland after his continually good performances.

Ireland really need to throw in another 10 to prove they can handle it consistently when Sexton isn't there. I think they have a strong enough side to make it less of a daunting task than other teams and I feel realistically it's Ireland and France fighting for 1 and 2, England, Scotland for 3 and 4, Wales 5 and Italy 6, which of course means Wales will get a grand slam.

Step up Ross Byrne?

IMO he should start for Ireland after his continually good performances.

My issue with Ross is that he's always a superstar in January and proven out of his depth by the end of May. I think he's earned himself 4th choice 10, maybe 3rd if Carbery carries his Munster form into the Ireland set up. Crowley is the man imo.

Ireland really need to throw in another 10 to prove they can handle it consistently when Sexton isn't there. I think they have a strong enough side to make it less of a daunting task than other teams and I feel realistically it's Ireland and France fighting for 1 and 2, England, Scotland for 3 and 4, Wales 5 and Italy 6, which of course means Wales will get a grand slam.

I don't think his replacements have fared to badly in the last couple of seasons tbh. Carbery probably had his best game in the last 12 months on Paris last year and Crowley did enough to get Ireland over the line when they arguably didn't deserve to.

I don't think it's nothing to worry about but certainly less of an issue than before given the style of play and quality of playmakers and tactical kickers outside of 10.

I don't have a clue about results with the coaching changes to England and Wales. I will simply enjoy the most authentically Italian Italy squad in over a decade; win, lose or draw. I think they'll end up winless but I've a sense their narrowest defeat will be at home to France on day 1. Italy can bizarrely give the French a scare a couple of times a decade and the French may injury averse in a RWC year. Looking at fixtures:

Champs: Ireland (will lose one of their 4 tough fixtures so no slam)
England
France
Scotland
Wales
Spoon: Italy

I don't have a clue about results with the coaching changes to England and Wales. I will simply enjoy the most authentically Italian Italy squad in over a decade; win, lose or draw. I think they'll end up winless but I've a sense their narrowest defeat will be at home to France on day 1. Italy can bizarrely give the French a scare a couple of times a decade and the French may injury averse in a RWC year. Looking at fixtures:

Champs: Ireland (will lose one of their 4 tough fixtures so no slam)
England
France
Scotland
Wales
Spoon: Italy
I think we have three tough fixtures at most. Scotland v Ireland is probably the most one-sided fixture in tier one rugby not involving NZ or Italy currently, no win in 7 years for tye Scots there.

I think we have England when amd where we want them too, at home with enough time to analyse.

Get through the first two weeks and not winning the slam would be a disaster. I also think losing at home or to a side 8 places below us in the table would be a failure.

If this team is serious and not just the latest flash in the pan Ireland team they should really be winning the slam this year and going from there.

I think we have three tough fixtures at most. Scotland v Ireland is probably the most one-sided fixture in tier one rugby not involving NZ or Italy currently, no win in 7 years for tye Scots there.

Farrell's pre match team talk v Scotland won't take too long. "Same again lads".

I wouldn't be writing Wales off with Gatland in charge. Scotland have never beaten Wales with him at the helm and losing that game at Murrayfield (probably the most key game for Scotland) would likely see us finish 5th. England are an unknown quantity under Borthwick but I suspect he will try and get back back to basics, sort out the set piece and if the forwards can get that dominance they had in the early years under Jones years then they should do quite well.

Ireland
France
England
Wales
Scotland
Italy

Is it written in the stars Ben Healy or John Cooney to kick winner vs Ireland.

On 6 Nations it will be a question of how do new coaching teams at Wales and England approach.
Is it try win this or build for RWC.

Is it written in the stars Ben Healy or John Cooney to kick winner vs Ireland.

On 6 Nations it will be a question of how do new coaching teams at Wales and England approach.
Is it try win this or build for RWC.
I think you go to win. Both teams need confidence and you don't have time to properly develop a complete squad. You have to work with what you've got and find the best combination to try and win in 9 months time.

No reason why building and winning can't be concurrent.

It'd be a hell of a turnaround for both, looking at SA in 2018 and the malaise and lower standards set by the previous regime took that entire year to cut out, there were some bad days in there.

Latest posts