• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

6 nations to 12 nations

Believe me, the fans care. Not just the Georgian fans but all committed rugby fans. It's just that the powers that be don't care about Georgia, or at least don't seem to care. USA, Japan, Canada, Samoa, Tonga and Fiji are all being given shots at tier 1 countries... Why can't Georgia be added to this mix? I really can't wrap my head around it. I understand that the financial benefits of spreading the game in Canada and the USA are much bigger than spreading the game in Georgia, but if it's only about the money why do give opportunities to the likes of Fiji?

Both Canada and the US played the exact same number of Tier 1 internationals as Georgia in 2013.

Samoa and Tonga have performed better in past years so it makes sense that they get more Tier 1 matches.

And Japan are getting more Tier 1 matches because of the 2019 RWC.

yes ! teams grow and they try more and more
they prove more themselves and you cant just lock them in roof just for just having less gold in pockets

Both Canada and the US played the exact same number of Tier 1 internationals as Georgia in 2013.

Samoa and Tonga have performed better in past years so it makes sense that they get more Tier 1 matches.

And Japan are getting more Tier 1 matches because of the 2019 RWC.

That's true, I forgot about the Argentina match in June. However in 2014 both USA and Canada will be playing a tier 1 country at home for the third year in a row. Georgia had to go on the road with a B-team for theirs.

There is a feasible way for Georgia and Romania to join without impacting the schedule at all really. You could potentially use the two pools of 4 model but keep the 6 team table, old rivalries and potential for a grandslam. Have the 1st, 4th, 5th and 8th of the previous tournament in one pool and the others in another. After 3 games, the top 3 of each go forward to complete the round robin, while the bottom teams play off to avoid a relegation playoff. So if it was to take place this year:

POOL A: Wales, Scotland, Ireland, Romania
POOL B: England, Italy, France, Georgia (I swapped Italy and Scotland or else Scotland would have had 3 home games in the first stage)

Round 1: Ireland v Scotland, Romania v Wales, France v England, Italy v Georgia
Round 2: Ireland v Wales, Scotland v Romania, France v Italy, England v Georgia
Round 3: Wales v Scotland, Romania v Ireland, Italy v England, Georgia v France
rest week
Round 4: England v Wales, Italy v Scotland, France v Ireland, Georgia v Romania (all group B at home to help scheduling and travelling fans)
Round 5: Wales v France, Scotland v England, Ireland v Italy, Romania v Georgia (A at home)
Round 6: Wales v Italy, England v Ireland, Scotland v France, Friendly: Winner Georgia/Romania v Runner up Division 2, Promotion game: Runner up Georgia/Romania v Winner div 2, (both in Tblisi as Georgia had 2 home games)
If Romania or Georgia had come in the top 3 of their pool they would have switched remaining schedules with the team that came bottom.

Benefits
Having the rest week in the middle gives the needed break without it feeling stop start like it does now
It should be a long time before one of the established teams gets relegated
Equal number of home and away games
4 games a weekend!
Added coverage and interest in division 2 to gain promotion

Negative
Difficult for away fans to commit to games in the second half as they could change
Some people may see the games v georgia and romania as boring

Despite being of similar strength to Georgia or Canada, Romania has not played any Tier 1 team since the last RWC. And we almost beat Scotland in 2011.

I agree in part. More fixtures against teams like Fiji, Tonga, Japan, USA and Canada who are roughly on the same level will help Georgia. Samoa, Italy, Scotland, Argentina and Ireland is the next step up. I think some home summer fixtures against teams like the 6 Nations countries and Argentina could really help Georgia make a step up. They'd lose a few games but how is that any different to, say, Italy losing all their Autumn tests every year?!

Georgia have great potential and it should be nurtured over and beyond the ENC.

That's quite realistic approach to the things, that mind is shared on the level of Rugby Union and other Georgian rugby officials

growth happens step by step, and you have to confirm your strength and quality on every upcoming stage

now its time to play more with teams mentioned above, have many fixtures per year and be heavily involved in internationals

when saying we need help from IRB and other big rugby guys - we mean we need more hands willing to sign documents for organizing these fixtures and matches

believe me there are no many of them available now, there is where we need help and not for bringing ABs specifically in Tbilisi and playing there

This must come with time ;)

I believe stongly that Georgia and Romania will have their break even at the RWC15.
Basically it will be the time where both teams can get that 3rd spot and get a direct ticket to RWC19. There will be plenty of chances to get better tests at any window of the year.

here you have an expert discussing difference between northern and southern countries
meanwhile north is thinking about making more money, apparently southerns do it in much a slender way, never compromising rugby development
so I go back to one of my posts here on trf where I said that SH teams are no better than NH teams - yes! they aren't better, they are the best

http://m.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/25172089

Ireland to play Georgia in Autumn 2014. A good step.

On this issue, I personally support the idea of having two 6 Nations, with bottom in the 6 Nations getting relegated to next year's 'B' 6 Nations (georgia,romania,russia,spain,portugal and belgium to begin with I guess). Not only does this expose tier 2 nations to a higher level via promotion, it also ensures that every year a tier 1 nation will play against five tier 2 nations, ensuring they all benefit from exposure to a higher level.

thats quite possible you know?! just a good will and everything will be done

yes play against Ireland is a big deal and honor

I really wait for this match directly from now :)

Lets do it simple, in the EOYT a 6 nations nations should give a visit to a ENC team.
Good timing to bring youngsters on the field for tier 1 nations and a big boost for "the others".

that is being done annually through IRB Nations Cup schedule, where we have young Springboks with any other tier 1 team's "A" or "emerging" squad playing against us and Romanians, Uruguay and etc

That tournament was traditionally held in Bucharest but in 2013 Summer was brought in Tbilisi

That's pretty good possibility to express ourselves
IRB_Tbilisi%20CUP_panel_PORT.jpg

.. Once every 4 years, you would have a European Championship. You would need to balance the need for as many teams as possible with the need for competitiveness. Right now I'd set it at 8 teams. This could either be done in the June window or in place of the 6N once every 4 years. If in place of the 6N in a certain year, it would fit nicely in there: 2 pools of 4, semis and finals would fit right in the 5 playing weeks we currently have.

Good idea. Once every four years (in the middle of the World Cup cycle: 2017, 2021 etc) and replacing the Six Nations. The top eight European teams in the world rankings. No need for a host nation, just a pre-announced venue for the semi-finals and final.

Georgia has being playing rugby before rugby was invented. It is the national sport. Give them half a chance and they will take it.

And, yes, I like the history of Scotland-England, but you can't have it both ways. Either it becomes an open global sport, or we remain shackled to the past IMO.

that is being done annually through IRB Nations Cup schedule, where we have young Springboks with any other tier 1 team's "A" or "emerging" squad playing against us and Romanians, Uruguay and etc

That tournament was traditionally held in Bucharest but in 2013 Summer was brought in Tbilisi

That's pretty good possibility to express ourselves

That's true alex, this 2 tournaments in Georgia and Rumania are great, but I left them on the side because normally the teams have a lot of absence. My point was to play in the EOYT window like that everybody has at least 85% first team!

Georgia has being playing rugby before rugby was invented. It is the national sport. Give them half a chance and they will take it.

that game was called Lelo and is still played in South West of Georgia, in Guria region

The comp has already been watered down with the introduction of Italy. Scotland having gone to the dogs since Hastings and co. means its essentially a 4 team tournament. A lower quality comp lowers the bar. I definitely think this has had an effect on the downward spiral in quality of England and France.

What I would do is reduce it to five teams again, and introduce relegation.

The comp has already been watered down with the introduction of Italy. Scotland having gone to the dogs since Hastings and co. means its essentially a 4 team tournament. A lower quality comp lowers the bar. I definitely think this has had an effect on the downward spiral in quality of England and France.

What I would do is reduce it to five teams again, and introduce relegation.

4 team tournament?
Ireland and France finished last in 2013, you are way too harsh on Scotland and Italy.

Legitimate point though, two 4 team tournaments would probably be a whole lot more competitive. Realistically, Scotland and Italy stand zero chance of winning a 6 nations ***le in the foreseeable future. Their wins against the other four sides usually come when they're on a relative high and their opposition are on a low (see Ireland last season.) In contrast, any of Ireland, Wales, England or France could potentially win a 6 nations ***le any year.

Not that I'd be in favor of course. Rugby in Italy and Scotland couldn't survive being taking out of the 6 nations.

[TABLE="class: rdresults dataTable, width: 100%"]
<tbody role="alert" aria-live="polite" aria-relevant="all" style="box-sizing: border-box;">[TR="class: odd, bgcolor: #EFEFEF"]
[TD="class: match-date sorting_1, bgcolor: #D6E2EC"]23 Nov 2013[/TD]
[TD="class: home-team sorting_2, bgcolor: #D6E2EC"]Georgia[/TD]
[TD="class: score loss"]16 - 15[/TD]
[TD="class: away-team"]Samoa[/TD]
[TD="class: ground"]Mikheil Meskhi StadiumTbilisi, Georgia[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: even, bgcolor: white"]
[TD="class: match-date sorting_1, bgcolor: #E5F1FB"]09 Nov 2013[/TD]
[TD="class: home-team sorting_2, bgcolor: #E5F1FB"]Ireland[/TD]
[TD="class: score loss"]40 - 9[/TD]
[TD="class: ground"]Aviva StadiumDublin, Ireland[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: odd, bgcolor: #EFEFEF"]
[TD="class: match-date sorting_1, bgcolor: #D6E2EC"]22 Jun 2013[/TD]
[TD="class: home-team sorting_2, bgcolor: #D6E2EC"]South Africa[/TD]
[TD="class: score loss"]56 - 23[/TD]
[TD="class: ground unknown"][/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: match-date sorting_1, bgcolor: #E5F1FB"]15 Jun 2013[/TD]
[TD="class: home-team sorting_2, bgcolor: #E5F1FB"]Samoa[/TD]
[TD="class: score win"]39 - 10[/TD]
[TD="class: away-team"]Italy[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: match-date sorting_1, bgcolor: #D6E2EC"]08 Jun 2013[/TD]
[TD="class: home-team sorting_2, bgcolor: #D6E2EC"]Scotland[/TD]
[TD="class: score win"]17 - 27[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: match-date sorting_1, bgcolor: #E5F1FB"]24 Nov 2012[/TD]
[TD="class: home-team sorting_2, bgcolor: #E5F1FB"]France[/TD]
[TD="class: score loss"]22 - 14[/TD]
[TD="class: ground"]Stade de FranceParis, France[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: match-date sorting_1, bgcolor: #D6E2EC"]16 Nov 2012[/TD]
[TD="class: home-team sorting_2, bgcolor: #D6E2EC"]Wales[/TD]
[TD="class: score win"]19 - 26[/TD]
[TD="class: ground"]Millennium StadiumCardiff, Wales[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: match-date sorting_1, bgcolor: #E5F1FB"]09 Nov 2012[/TD]
[TD="class: score win"]42 - 12[/TD]
[TD="class: away-team"]Canada[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: match-date sorting_1, bgcolor: #D6E2EC"]09 Nov 2012[/TD]
[TD="class: home-team sorting_2, bgcolor: #D6E2EC"]Canada[/TD]
[TD="class: score win"]12 - 42[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: match-date sorting_1, bgcolor: #E5F1FB"]23 Jun 2012[/TD]
[TD="class: score loss"]16 - 17[/TD]
[TD="class: away-team"]Scotland[/TD]
[TD="class: ground"]Apia ParkApia, Samoa[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Don't say that Georgia is not ready for such competition. Georgia is ready and IRB should arrange competition, after each session, between two last teams from 6 nations and 6 Nations B's first two places. And this games should decide relegation... if Georgia and Romania win for example Italy and Scotland than it means that they deserve places in 6 Nations A.

Latest posts