• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

7s Olympics

F

frntline

Ok there is so much hype about 7s trying to get into the Olympics i love it. So i was thinking if it does would country put there best players into the squad like having joe rokocoko, Ma'a Nonu, Sitiveni Sivivatu, Habana, and who the hell knows who else. But imagine Great Britian :D , so many people i can't imagine such a good squad Shane, Halfpenny, Sackey, Tait the list is endless.

Williams, Halfpenny and Sackey would all be god awful in a 7s competition - Their defence isn't strong enough and their all around game isn't anywhere near a high enough standard. Conversely, Tait is an outstanding 7s player but utter shite in the XV game.

I'll just for this once pretend that Sackey isn't an over-rated tosspot.

A great 7s player (e.g. William Ryder) wouldn't necessarily make a good XV player (look at Ben Gollings XV exploits) and the came can be said especially in reverse - Imagine Mike Catt in the Dubai competition. Er, no thankyou!

i agree with what you say about sackey but i still believe Shane would be emazing at 7s and amazing to watch

Considering that England Rugby Sevens managed to do pretty damn well with David Seymour and Tom Varndell, I don't think having Shane Williams on the Sevens team would be the apocalyptic disaster Mite is predicting...

you'd play shane williams as a scrum half in 7s and he'd be awesome.

you'd have a real straight line speedster as well... sackey, monye, varndell etc.

you'd pick mobile forwards like croft, powell, rees, haskell. the likes of jamie roberts could be used as forwards as well.

and you'd pick someone like hook or cipriani to give a midfield spark along with BOD.

But I'd have a small bet with you, if there was a GB olympic 7s team they'd pick from existing 7s squads, which would be 95% English since we're the only British side who take it seriously.

why would BOD play for a great britain when he can play for his own country? :rolleyes:

oh and that last bit, correct me if im wrong but are wales not the world champions at present?

David Wallace
Stephen Ferris
Tomas O'Leary
Keith Earls
Luke Fitzgerald
Rob Kearney
Brian O'Driscoll

I don't know much about sevens but that team = Gold medal surely.

I think it'd be good to see a collection of both 7's "experts" and some XV regulars who are available to play who maybe were involved in the 7s set up before (Matthew Tait, Tom Varndell etc.) or some players who never got the chance to but could have a penchant for the 7's game, like Sean Lamont etc.

It'd another awesome thing to look forward to in the Rugby 4 year calendar.

My Welsh sevens team would be as follows:

Andy Powell
Gavin Henson
Tom James
Gareth Cooper
James Hook
Shane Williams
Morgan Stoddard

Gavin Henson and Tom James are big enough to be forwards in sevens. Then Cooper (quickest over 40m in the Wales squad) as a nippy scrum half, James Hook as the general playmaker with Shane Williams and Morgan Stoddard behind. That is mouth watering, and something you might see if it were an olympic sport where it was taken seriously. Not gonna attempt a British team, too many players to choose from.

Sorry Munsterman, that team would give yours a thrashing :p. Besides, if NZ picked all their top guys (Rockocoko, Sivivatu etc.) no-one else would have a chance imo, then again we say that in 15 a side!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Mar 8 2009, 11:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
why would BOD play for a great britain when he can play for his own country? :rolleyes:

oh and that last bit, correct me if im wrong but are wales not the world champions at present?[/b]

Yes! I'm going to have to retract everything I said given that upset... I was assuming that the usual suspects (England, NZ, Samoa or Fiji) would win the 7s given that the other European teams are normally non-events...

And of course I didn't think about the Rep of Ireland either.

Tait to play instead in my GB team!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Frntline @ Mar 8 2009, 08:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Ok there is so much hype about 7s trying to get into the Olympics i love it. So i was thinking if it does would country put there best players into the squad like having joe rokocoko, Ma'a Nonu, Sitiveni Sivivatu, Habana, and who the hell knows who else. But imagine Great Britian :D , so many people i can't imagine such a good squad Shane, Halfpenny, Sackey, Tait the list is endless.[/b]

What about Eire and Ulster? I guess that in OG Ulster players at the north of the border would play for UK...

Then it is up to the individual athletes if they want to play for Ireland or GB just like in Soccer. I imagine some would play for Ireland and some wouldn't. GG will be gutted to hear that Bowe would almost certainly pick Ireland.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Mar 9 2009, 01:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Then it is up to the individual athletes if they want to play for Ireland or GB just like in Soccer. I imagine some would play for Ireland and some wouldn't. GG will be gutted to hear that Bowe would almost certainly pick Ireland.[/b]

I'm pretty sure that the British citizens would have to play for Great Britain. I want to get rid of Northern Ireland as much as any republican but until that happens, they're ours. Hopefully Bowe could find an irish grandma though ;)

he is but not all of ulster is in northern ireland. 6 of the 9 counties are but donegal monaghan and cavan are all parts of the republic

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DonBilly @ Mar 9 2009, 02:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Frntline @ Mar 8 2009, 08:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok there is so much hype about 7s trying to get into the Olympics i love it. So i was thinking if it does would country put there best players into the squad like having joe rokocoko, Ma'a Nonu, Sitiveni Sivivatu, Habana, and who the hell knows who else. But imagine Great Britian :D , so many people i can't imagine such a good squad Shane, Halfpenny, Sackey, Tait the list is endless.[/b]

What about Eire and Ulster? I guess that in OG Ulster players at the north of the border would play for UK...
[/b][/quote]

we're 32 counties for the Olympics so Ulster players would have the choice of either.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Mar 9 2009, 02:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Then it is up to the individual athletes if they want to play for Ireland or GB just like in Soccer. I imagine some would play for Ireland and some wouldn't. GG will be gutted to hear that Bowe would almost certainly pick Ireland.[/b]

well yeah I doubt someone who is from the Republic and sings the anthem would want to play for GB.

Latest posts