• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

7s Olympics

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Mar 9 2009, 06:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DonBilly @ Mar 9 2009, 02:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Frntline @ Mar 8 2009, 08:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok there is so much hype about 7s trying to get into the Olympics i love it. So i was thinking if it does would country put there best players into the squad like having joe rokocoko, Ma'a Nonu, Sitiveni Sivivatu, Habana, and who the hell knows who else. But imagine Great Britian :D , so many people i can't imagine such a good squad Shane, Halfpenny, Sackey, Tait the list is endless.[/b]

What about Eire and Ulster? I guess that in OG Ulster players at the north of the border would play for UK...
[/b][/quote]

we're 32 counties for the Olympics so Ulster players would have the choice of either.
[/b][/quote]

that hardly sounds fair! I'm all for a united Ireland, but I don't see it fair that players brought up in one country can just choose to play for another, just like that. In this case then we should have dibs on those from Turks & Caicos, Montserrat and the rest of our remaining colonies. Might even unearth a super duper caribbean sprinter...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Mar 9 2009, 11:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Mar 9 2009, 06:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok there is so much hype about 7s trying to get into the Olympics i love it. So i was thinking if it does would country put there best players into the squad like having joe rokocoko, Ma'a Nonu, Sitiveni Sivivatu, Habana, and who the hell knows who else. But imagine Great Britian :D , so many people i can't imagine such a good squad Shane, Halfpenny, Sackey, Tait the list is endless.[/b]

What about Eire and Ulster? I guess that in OG Ulster players at the north of the border would play for UK...
[/b][/quote]

we're 32 counties for the Olympics so Ulster players would have the choice of either.
[/b][/quote]

that hardly sounds fair! I'm all for a united Ireland, but I don't see it fair that players brought up in one country can just choose to play for another, just like that. In this case then we should have dibs on those from Turks & Caicos, Montserrat and the rest of our remaining colonies. Might even unearth a super duper caribbean sprinter...
[/b][/quote]

Alot of the problem with the troubles and such is from some people wanting to join the republic and some people wantint to be under some degree of British Rule. I imagine the Olympic Commitee telling people who are very anti British rule and feel very strongly in favour of being part of the republic that can play for team GB or none would cause some anger and they're wise to give people the choice.

And you say "players brought up in one country can choose to play for another". That's precisely the point, some players brouhgt up in northern Ireland would say they're Irish and in no way British.

The would go for the oposite situation if everyone was told they had to compete for the republic or noone.

Like I said, it's a complicated issue and the Olympic Commitee were never (and have no place to do so) going to decide 'what Northern Ireland is'.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Mar 10 2009, 12:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Mar 9 2009, 11:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Alot of the problem with the troubles and such is from some people wanting to join the republic and some people wantint to be under some degree of British Rule. I imagine the Olympic Commitee telling people who are very anti British rule and feel very strongly in favour of being part of the republic that can play for team GB or none would cause some anger and they're wise to give people the choice.

And you say "players brought up in one country can choose to play for another". That's precisely the point, some players brouhgt up in northern Ireland would say they're Irish and in no way British.

The would go for the oposite situation if everyone was told they had to compete for the republic or noone.

Like I said, it's a complicated issue and the Olympic Commitee were never (and have no place to do so) going to decide 'what Northern Ireland is'.
[/b][/quote]

I agree with you entirely; however my point is that while it is an issue that remains up in the air, NI is officially part of the UK, to the end that the UK taxpayer is the one who pays for sporting initiatives and programmes in NI.

Of course, if you tell me it's a joint venture and NI is also payed for by the Republic then I can see no problem all with NI sportsmen defecting.

The Olympics is the time for individual athletes to win fame and aclaim. It's the only time when people actually watch these athletes. I hate sports like basketball, tennis and soccer, which already have more prestigious events being in the olympics. All those sports do is take the limelight away. Most of the sevens athletes don't work any where near as hard as some of those swimmers or runners.

Sevens isn't even a good advertisment of rugby. Do we want sevens to become more important then 15's? A lot of countries may take up sevens but not even bother with 15's. If rugby is at the Olympics we should at least show the best rugby by playing the best for of the game.

yeah but their not gonna put 15s aback in the Olympic cause of 6 team always dominating it. But isnt that a little harsh being this is the rugby forum?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (William18 @ Mar 11 2009, 06:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The Olympics is the time for individual athletes to win fame and aclaim. It's the only time when people actually watch these athletes. I hate sports like basketball, tennis and soccer, which already have more prestigious events being in the olympics. All those sports do is take the limelight away. Most of the sevens athletes don't work any where near as hard as some of those swimmers or runners.

Sevens isn't even a good advertisment of rugby. Do we want sevens to become more important then 15's? A lot of countries may take up sevens but not even bother with 15's. If rugby is at the Olympics we should at least show the best rugby by playing the best for of the game.[/b]

You know this as fact do you? Thats a ridiculous thing to say. To be at the pinnacle of a sport requires incredible commitment, determination and training and for someone to come along and question that sevens players don't work as hard as swimmers or athletes is a little disrespectful. Granted it is harder to get as much publicity other than at the Olympics for many sports, but that in no way reflects the sacrifices made by any sportsman.

And as for sevens not being a good advertisement for rugby, just look at the recent World Cup. Upsets across the board with none of the big 8 being in the final, Kenya reaching the Semi's, and arguable some of the biggest 7s teams being knocked out early. How is that not a good advertisement for the game. The fact it was televised in over 200 countries also shows that there is a great demand for it.

Finally, the idea of playing 15s at the Olympics is simply not possible. A full on 15 a side international takes as much out of the body as a full on car crash (so research shows us) and considering the short space of time the Olympics takes place in, it world result in unmeasurable player burnout. Additionally, it would probably be a worse advert for the game as some of the smaller nations that would not usual have a chance at getting a medal would arguably have even less chance in this instance.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (William18 @ Mar 11 2009, 06:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Sevens isn't even a good advertisment of rugby. Do we want sevens to become more important then 15's? A lot of countries may take up sevens but not even bother with 15's. If rugby is at the Olympics we should at least show the best rugby by playing the best for of the game.[/b]

1) International Basketball doesn't have a more prestigious competition than the Olympics. If there were to be an Olympic 7s, I'm sure there'd be no more 7s world cup. I agree with you about tennis and football though.

2) You can't have a 15s tournament at the Olympics. There's a 2 week window, and given that you can only play 1 game of 15s per week then there'd be a maximum of 3 matches to play on each weekend and even if you made it straight knockout, you'd get only 8 teams there. It wouldn't work. Much better to have 7s where you can have a group stage; plus 16 or so teams competing. The point of having 7s at the olympics would be to demonstrate rugby's global appeal, so you could have teams from places as far apart as Argentina, Kenya, Samoa, Canada, Portugal and the UAE.

What's more, do you think a global audience will understand and appreciate the intricacies of 15s? Much better to start them off on a game more similar to something they can start up with their friends in the park, with high excitement, skills etc. and also no need for 30 people to play 1 game...

3) 7s athletes work as hard for their sport as they can. You can't judge whether a sprinter works harder, or for that matter a swimmer... it's a different discipline.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Mar 10 2009, 12:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

well given that they have the choice of what passport they can have then it stands to reason they have the choice of country when it comes to something like the Olympics

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Mar 10 2009, 10:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Mar 10 2009, 12:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Mar 9 2009, 11:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

I agree with you entirely; however my point is that while it is an issue that remains up in the air, NI is officially part of the UK, to the end that the UK taxpayer is the one who pays for sporting initiatives and programmes in NI.

Of course, if you tell me it's a joint venture and NI is also payed for by the Republic then I can see no problem all with NI sportsmen defecting.
[/b][/quote]

Northern Ireland doesn't exist at the Olympics it's Great Britain and Ireland, not the UK and the Republic of Ireland

Latest posts