7s

ratsapprentice

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
England
So 7s popularity seems to be on quite an upward curve at the moment, almost all of which is attributable to it's Olympic inclusion.
As a rugby fan I am delighted to see it gain that sort of a platform.

But...

...it's a bit dull isn't it?

I have tried to get into it for a while but to no avail.
I find it to be boring in the same way that I find league to be*... in that there is no dynamic, there is very little build-up and release of tension.

Amirite?

*I don't mind league, but rarely do I find myself watching an entire half, let alone a whole match.

I'm not sure I'm delighted to see it gain a platform. How many countries will be now be aiming to build 7s sides rather than 15s side? How many 15s stars will decide to leave the game for a year to try and gain a gold medal?

It could be an excellent tool for spreading the game. It could also outgrow its parent and shove the superior game into the shade. I hope the IRB have a plan for translating 7s take-up to the full game.

And yes, I find it pretty boring tbh. A game or two is alright, but it lacks the ebb and flow.

Yeah, gets very samey after a while.
I tend to only watch the 2nd day of the World Series weekends (the quarters/semis etc.)

Can't stand it. Zero intensity and as with many of these sports that run this kind of world series thing, there never seems to be anything on the line in a single game. The fact that there's so much space about means that it's as much a contest of athleticism as it is skill.

Never caught on over here and I can't say it's any loss.

Latest posts