• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Is rugby your favourite sport?

Combat Sports in general, especially Boxing.
When the World Cup is around it is Rugby. I'm less excited by club games. And as a brazilian naturally I'm a fan of soccer-football too.

1&2: Cricket/Union pretty much can't separate them, (probably as a kid it would have been cricket first, now I might even lean to Union)
3: League pretty close 3rd, i'd watch NRL (especially Newcastle and Warriors games+ finals) over Super Rugby. International Union is way more appealing then any league games.
4: Boxing

I do enjoy a lot of other sports like MMA, Athletics and Tennis etc they get a mention

Union/Cricket is pretty much top for me equally usually interest waxes and wanes based on my teams success (England's, Bath and Somerset)
Then it's the Olympics
NHL/NFL/Cycling/Tennis
Most other sports

Don't really get League feels like a wired cross breed of union and NFL and it does t sit right.
Baseball is cricket without tactics (field placement)
Football, just winds be up.
Basketball is boring.

Don't really get League feels like a wired cross breed of union and NFL and it does t sit right.

It's not really a cross breed of union and NFL though - the similarities are pure coincidence for the most part. League is simply about different things to union, but it's a brilliant game. I reckon you should watch this test series v New Zealand, as it should be pretty entertaining. The first one certainly was, with England down early and coming back strong for the win. And hey, any code of Rugby where England are a shot at beating NZ any time they play them should be cause for celebration in England ;-) .

It's not really a cross breed of union and NFL though - the similarities are pure coincidence for the most part. League is simply about different things to union, but it's a brilliant game. I reckon you should watch this test series v New Zealand, as it should be pretty entertaining. The first one certainly was, with England down early and coming back strong for the win. And hey, any code of Rugby where England are a shot at beating NZ any time they play them should be cause for celebration in England ;-) .
It's a cultural thing mainly where I'm from literally no one plays league if you play/watch rugby it's union only. Those not really into sport have no real concept of league at all. Mostly when watching I hate the lack of rucks tackling a player and letting him keep the ball just feels inherently wrong even worse if you tackle hm enough times you have to give the ball back....

It's a cultural thing mainly where I'm from literally no one plays league if you play/watch rugby it's union only. Those not really into sport have no real concept of league at all. Mostly when watching I hate the lack of rucks tackling a player and letting him keep the ball just feels inherently wrong even worse if you tackle hm enough times you have to give the ball back....

Well yeah, because in order to make the game easier to officiate it's simpler to assign possession. What it means is that whilst Union is about the contest for possession, League is about the contest for position and thus the kicking game is actually very important, just in a different way.

Always wondered why League never took off outside the north in England, but I hear the RFU were pretty nasty and petty in terms of denying them a presence and facilities in a lot of places.

That's a weird one... any game where the engine does all the grunt work ain't a sport in my view; it's playstation with better graphics.

Quite close what I used to say to him, but he didn't watch track motorsport like F1 or Nascar (or any of those jobbies where you gotta go round and round(barring Superbike World series in which case you have a point.)) Mostly we enjoyed things like 10 day desert rallys and crazy endurance races, the type where you gotta get a bike 1000 miles within 3 days over the craziest terrain imaginable (Dakar, Baja 1000, Romainiacs, Ertzberg). After trying a couple of 400km harescrambles on a dirtbike you'd probably rethink your "Engine does all the work." statement. I suppose it was all about perspective for him, he didn't play much field sports so he couldn't empathize with a guy getting up from a ruck bleeding on the verge of exhaustion, but being a rider, he could definately sympathize with a guy who has to pull a 120kg motorcycle up a mountain to get to the next one. Anyways, my theory is pretty simple, all sport sucks without a basic understanding of the rules, history, intracacies and culture and if you take the time to immerse yourself, you would probably more often than not enjoy it. My old man would disagree because "People moving balls about isn't worth watching over a sunday of riding."

The ones I watch the most are Rugby and Football, almost to an equal degree (which is difficult here since rugby is only shown by 1 channel, while football is thrown at your face everywhere).

Now if we're talking purely about liking then my favorite is field hockey, the sport I played for a long time.

Quite close what I used to say to him, but he didn't watch track motorsport like F1 or Nascar (or any of those jobbies where you gotta go round and round(barring Superbike World series in which case you have a point.)) Mostly we enjoyed things like 10 day desert rallys and crazy endurance races, the type where you gotta get a bike 1000 miles within 3 days over the craziest terrain imaginable (Dakar, Baja 1000, Romainiacs, Ertzberg). After trying a couple of 400km harescrambles on a dirtbike you'd probably rethink your "Engine does all the work." statement. I suppose it was all about perspective for him, he didn't play much field sports so he couldn't empathize with a guy getting up from a ruck bleeding on the verge of exhaustion, but being a rider, he could definately sympathize with a guy who has to pull a 120kg motorcycle up a mountain to get to the next one. Anyways, my theory is pretty simple, all sport sucks without a basic understanding of the rules, history, intracacies and culture and if you take the time to immerse yourself, you would probably more often than not enjoy it. My old man would disagree because "People moving balls about isn't worth watching over a sunday of riding."

Yeah, I was kinda taking the **** to be honest mate, and my comment was intentionally targeting the superficial aspects of motor sport because it just seems weird that anyone involved in motorsport could see top level rugby, where guys are belting the crap out of each other to exhaustion in what is effectively a more civilised simulation of an old world battle field exercise and say "that's not a sport."

I get that motor sport is pretty tough in reality, and that F1 drivers themsleves are all pretty bloody fit blokes that engage in tour-de-france like training, but it just struck me as a pretty odd for someone to only consider things involving machines "real" sports. I'm pretty sure ultra-marathoners and iron men athletes would argue their sports are tougher on your body than any motor sport, but wouldn't just dismiss motor sport because of it.

As for moving balls not being worth watching, I think there's a reason that ball sports get bigger global audiences than any motorsport and it's a fairly innately human one: tribalism. Watching a race can be fun, but team sports generate very tribal attachments in ways than non form of racing has ever been able to replicate.

Tennis - ATP and international rugby union; although I do follow super rugby when it's on. I've lost interest in football now; only watch every now and then like the CL final or WC.

Easily,

I like most sports, with a special mention to MMA and Rugby League, but Rugby Union is head and shoulders above the rest for me.
Rugby league has now fallen away massively, since I stopped playing.
Probably only watched 3 or 4 games last season.
MMA has moved way up, though. Probably like it as much as rugby, if not more (I mentioned on another thread that law changes and gamesmanship, like choke tackles, are souring the game for me).

MMA has moved way up, though. Probably like it as much as rugby, if not more (I mentioned on another thread that law changes and gamesmanship, like choke tackles, are souring the game for me).

Yep... the constant ****ing with the laws has led to me watching waaay less than I used to.

I'm a massive Speedway fan and Rugby Union a very close second, I watch a bit of league but mainly if nothing else on box.

Used to like football but find that boring and all players diving/cheating hasn't helped matters.

Speedway runs March through to October so Rugby Union fills in nicely through winter months.

Latest posts