• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Is rugby your favourite sport?

Yay ! :)
What team / league do you follow ?
I've got to admit, I am a huge Baseball fan as well, it probably shares 2nd place with Rugby with me... ;)

KHL - "Spartak" Moscow.

Well, and of course Russia ...

[video]https://youtu.be/5pg-mtnvhG8[/video]

:cool:

I think rugby might be falling behind hockey for me. If I knew as many people to talk hockey with as I did rugby, it probably would.

Rugby is a close second.
I was very lucky when i was a kid. My parents made a point of making me try pretty much every sport they could think of. On a regular basis tho, I've only played rugby (6 till i was 23) and football (3 and still playing). I'm ruling out seasonal sports (ski, surf, etc) since i don't see that as an apples to apples comparison.

Depends.. I would watch the NRL over super XV though I watch them both. State of origin would usually be my pick over any internationals unless the ABs are playing(ABs over everything). I prefer playing league over union by a big margin.

Rugby League and Rugby Union are on level pegging for me - if the Roosters and Waratahs are playing at the same time I will record one and just watch whichever game has the greater significance at the time in the context of the competition and rivalries etc.

After those two my favourite sport is probably cricket, and I enjoy all forms of it.

It's American football and NBA basketball for me in addition to rugby union. I don't like soccer, and RL does nothing for me. NHL hockey is pretty good too, although I usually only watch the playoffs.

Last edited:
It's American football and NBA basketball for me in addition to rugby union. I don't like soccer, and RL does nothing for me. NHL hockey is pretty good too, although I usually only watch the playoffs.

Interesting comment about RL, given you're an NFL fan. I'd have thought you guys would find League more appealing some how, given it's structured similarly in certain areas.

Yeah, that's what I thought so too, but RL seems too one dimensional to me. I am sure there are subtleties that a fan who grew up with the sport would appreciate, but to me, it seems like bash into the defender 4 times, then kick. With American football, there's so much variety with throwing and running. Perhaps it is just because I am more used to it.

1. Rugby Union
2. Cricket

Don't really follow any other sport close enough to call myself a fan, not even AFL which puts me into the "weirdo" category coming from Melbourne

- - - Updated - - -

Is Jarryd Hayne actually any good or is it just the Aussie media frothing over him because 'Straya?

Yeah, that's what I thought so too, but RL seems too one dimensional to me. I am sure there are subtleties that a fan who grew up with the sport would appreciate, but to me, it seems like bash into the defender 4 times, then kick. With American football, there's so much variety with throwing and running. Perhaps it is just because I am more used to it.

League is a lot less obviously nuanced than Union, but there's a lot more to it than that. The game is much more about how teams approach the tackle area and the speed they use. Watch this year's NRL Grand Final without checking who won, it's a heck of an advertisement for the game

1. Rugby Union
2. Cricket

Don't really follow any other sport close enough to call myself a fan, not even AFL which puts me into the "weirdo" category coming from Melbourne

- - - Updated - - -

Is Jarryd Hayne actually any good or is it just the Aussie media frothing over him because 'Straya?

AFL is a very weird sport... I've never been able to get into it personally.

As for Hayne, he was awesome in the pre-season, but now not so much it would seem. That said the whole team are pretty crap from what I hear, and players like him get all of about 25 seconds to impress in a game.

Either way though, it's a pretty solid effort for him to have made an NFL team within 12 months at 27 years old despite never having played the game.

Yes, it is.

1 Rugby Union
2 MMA
3 NFL
4 Soccer

HM: Rugby League. I really like Rugby League buuut is soooo difficult to be a follower from Latin America. Here the only channel which show Rugby Union is ESPN, not FTA even for Rugby Union and ESPN doesn't show Rugby League. So it's really difficult for me. I know many Union supporters who could be League supporters by the skills and the speed of the code but is almost impossible follow from Latin America. Most of the Rugby Union backs from Latin America would like Rugby League

Last edited:
League is a lot less obviously nuanced than Union, but there's a lot more to it than that. The game is much more about how teams approach the tackle area and the speed they use. Watch this year's NRL Grand Final without checking who won, it's a heck of an advertisement for the game

As for Hayne, he was awesome in the pre-season, but now not so much it would seem. That said the whole team are pretty crap from what I hear, and players like him get all of about 25 seconds to impress in a game.

Either way though, it's a pretty solid effort for him to have made an NFL team within 12 months at 27 years old despite never having played the game.

Thanks. Ill watch the match you recommend.

As far as Hayne is concerned, its a great story but unfortunately, as a punt returner, he is there to do one thing and that one thing well, which is to catch the punt safely without dropping the ball. Everything else, yards gained after the catch, etc. is icing on the cake. Unfortunately, he has been unreliable at the one thing he needs to do. Also, by calling fair catch really late, he is putting his blockers in an impossible situation as far as defending is concerned.

What he may need to do is to drop into a practice squad and get better. He's got great talent, no question, but gametime in the NFL is not where you want to learn how to play the sport.

My father always said "If it doesn't have an engine it's not a sport." I still rate rugby in the top 3 but gawd I love me some motorsport particularly offroad. Rugby is the best field/pitch sport followed by cricket imo.

My father always said "If it doesn't have an engine it's not a sport." I still rate rugby in the top 3 but gawd I love me some motorsport particularly offroad. Rugby is the best field/pitch sport followed by cricket imo.

That's a weird one... any game where the engine does all the grunt work ain't a sport in my view; it's playstation with better graphics.

Umm, yes, I love Rugby Union. Rugby League is pretty **** but will do from time to time.

In order of preference;

1. Rugby Union
2. Cricket ODI's between Aust and NZ
3. UFC
4. Rugby League matches between Kangaroos and New Zealand
5. America's Cup (at least when America don't cheat by having officials misread the wind speed for 10 days to allow them time to redesign and upgrade their boat).

Umm, yes, I love Rugby Union. Rugby League is pretty **** but will do from time to time.

In order of preference;

1. Rugby Union
2. Cricket ODI's between Aust and NZ
3. UFC
4. Rugby League matches between Kangaroos and New Zealand

5. America's Cup (at least when America don't cheat by having officials misread the wind speed for 10 days to allow them time to redesign and upgrade their boat).

What about NZ v England in those sports?

Latest posts