• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A chance for the Welsh midfield to rediscover a bit of flair...

If Lee Thomas had moved to a Welsh side (or stuck at Sale) then he was well deserved of a cap (can't believe he's not had one!), he's a cracking player. He's as strong a runner as Roberts but with a good boot (both at goal and in general) and just generally quality (though made out of glass, the amount of injuries he picked up last season)

You answered your own question there Olyy. Every time Lee Thomas was possibly in line for a call-up he got injured. Where talking as far back as 2007 here. He's more injury prone than Henson, and that's saying alot.

It's a pitty Roberts is injured, as he was superb in the second test v NZ. However we know what were gonna get from Roberts, so now there's an opportunity for someone else to show what they're capable of. I'd bet on a Hook - Bishop pairing if both are fit, as that combo really started to click for the O's at the end of last season. Unfortunately Hook's out untill just before the AI's, so there's no guaranteeing he'll be ready to step back in, and it he and Bish won't have time to improve their partership before then. Can't believe Bishop is only 23 either, he's been around for an age already!

Still no word about Henson yet, so things aren't looking very promising imo. If he's gonna make a comeback he should have been back in training today. The press must have been around to see if he was, so surely the news would have come through by now?

Henson is garbage at 10.How you can say Biggar is over hyped is beyond me,for such a young player the guy is class.I really hope gatland gives Biggar a run in the six nations next year.Biggars game mangement is far better than hooks,although i still think hook is a very good 10.The problem for Hook is that he isnt going to figure at 10 for the ospreys so he aint going to get picked there for wales.

Wow ... just wow the first two sentences just shocked me. Hook is the same quality as Henson at 10. Where do you expect Henson to figure then Einstein? At 12 ... 15? ... where? If Henson could feature anywhere it would be at 10. Its quite simple really.

To say Biggar is not hyped is quite frankly a joke. Do you even read the Western Mail / Wales on Sunday? Because it does not seem so. Gatland would be foolish at this stage to even look at Biggar after his poor spell with the squad. He was not what he was made out to be in NZ and was found out. His kicking is not there and his distribution was slack. I tell you to go back and watch the Second Test against NZ and watch it. Stephen Jones comes on and changes the game. Biggar was hyped by the media after the first test and when he did not succeed then the Western Mail / Wales on Sunday made the excuses. Jason Tovey is a better shout and dear say it Ceri Sweeney looked good when he played at 10 for the Blues outside Richie Rees.

Andy Howells and Simon Thomas are the worst journalists around. There columns are full of drivel and so much biases its not even funny. These guys only like selected players and are quick to highlight the flaws in players they do not like but when mistakes and flaws are made by players they like they consistently ensure excuses are made. One of the biggest players they look after is Mike Phillips.

Lee Thomas is an unfortunate case. Should have and could have played for Wales. When his contract ran up last time with Sale he should have come back to Wales. The Blues offered him a good deal but he wanted to stay at Sale. Which you could not blame him after he got released from the Blues last time. As Dull said ... injuries have now taken its affect on his body. And his move overseas for me is silly.

Last edited:
Sorry Cymro, but Henson never looked at home at 10 at any higher level than when he played for Swansea in the Premiership before regional rugby. He's a world class 12 on his day, to start shifting him around again would be foolish. Hook's a better 10 than Henson, so if anyone moved back, it would be Hook for me. Anyway, all this talk of Henson is looking pointless, as there's no sign of him at Ospreys training......

Biggar is overhyped, but dopping him for his poorish performance v NZ would be stupid! He's 20 years old and improving rapidly. His distribution wasn't great v NZ, but that has been a strong part of his game since his time at U20 level, so I'd expect that to improve again. The big occasion got to him, and no matter what he said before the match and his overall confidence, I'm not surprised considering his age. I wouldn't be against him getting more gametime in the 6 nations, as he's still got the talent to become a special player, he just needs that breakthrough game for Wales, when he displays his regional form, then I think he'll be allright.

Last edited:
Sorry Cymro, but Henson never looked at home at 10 at any higher level than when he played for Swansea in the Premiership before regional rugby. He's a world class 12 on his day, to start shifting him around again would be foolish. Hook's a better 10 than Henson, so if anyone moved back, it would be Hook for me. Anyway, all this talk of Henson is looking pointless, as there's no sign of him at Ospreys training......

Biggar is overhyped, but dopping him for his poorish performance v NZ would be stupid! He's 20 years old and improving rapidly. His distribution wasn't great v NZ, but that has been a strong part of his game since his time at U20 level, so I'd expect that to improve again. The big occasion got to him, and no matter what he said before the match and his overall confidence, I'm not surprised considering his age. I wouldn't be against him getting more gametime in the 6 nations, as he's still got the talent to become a special player, he just needs that breakthrough game for Wales, when he displays his regional form, then I think he'll be allright.

No ... dropping Biggar would be goo for him. Give him some time to improve his game. For me he costs the Ospreys the game against Biarritz also.

Again moving Hook would be foolish. He and Roberts provide a good partnership and Hook has settled playing in at centre for Wales and the Ospreys. Henson would need to go back to play 10, there is no doubt that his kicking and distribution skills are good enough to play there. It would also be an easier place for him to start again if he comes back to train also.

As expected ... he did not show: http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbyn...on-fails-to-show-for-training-91466-26838596/

Last edited:
Ospreys have u20s World Cup-ers coming back next week, and those on the summer tour the following week. Apparently, Henson is expected back by the time the whole squad arrives.

Whats with the attitude?Henson at 10,do me a favour.Have you forgotten about the last time he played 10 for wales away to ireland a few years ago,he was so out of his depth it was cringeworthy.12 is the only position for henson from my point of view.Why do you think everyone is influenced by what a newspaper says?These are my opinions not that of some journo.

Henson can play 10, he has the skill set to do so but I would prefer to see him at centre but he isn't a 13 so 12 is where he'd have to play and as Cymro said moving Hook would be detrimental.

But to be honest unless he does some staggering things for the Ospresy then Henso won't get near the 1st XV

It's a shame Henson is at the Ospreys, as he'll need to get a lot of match time if he wants to challenge for a place in the WC, but then in getting that match time he'll be taking it away from other Wales players

Whats with the attitude?Henson at 10,do me a favour.Have you forgotten about the last time he played 10 for wales away to ireland a few years ago,he was so out of his depth it was cringeworthy.12 is the only position for henson from my point of view.Why do you think everyone is influenced by what a newspaper says?These are my opinions not that of some journo.

Do you a favour ... jog on will you.

I don't think people do actually understand that Henson will have to go back to play somewhere ... it would be easy for him to settle back in to playing 10 ... if he hacks it then move him back to 12. I'm not saying he should not play 12 but to start back off it be easier for him to play 10. Remember Henson is starting over again and what he did in the past does not count.

Oh and regarding the newspaper ... its quite true people are influenced by what the papers say. If you read the post carefully you will find I never said that that your opinion was a journalistic one. So chill your beans.

Henson was a useless 10. He crabbed across field all day and could never make his mind up what to do. It's true he has all the skills to be a good 10, but that's always been true. For a long time he was adamant he wanted to play 10 (similar to Hook), even though everyone could see he made a much better centre. His international career took off as soon as he switched to 12 permenantly, and it's where his attreibutes are best utilised as he has the power to bosh it up aswell as the vision and distribution skills to release the backs. His kicking as always useful from 12 and his defensive qualities come to the fore.

Why do you say that 10 would be an easier position for him to pick up from again Cymro? It's one of the toughest positions on the pitch, with arguably the most pressure too. He's a 12, always has been, always will be in my eyes.

Henson was a useless 10. He crabbed across field all day and could never make his mind up what to do. It's true he has all the skills to be a good 10, but that's always been true. For a long time he was adamant he wanted to play 10 (similar to Hook), even though everyone could see he made a much better centre. His international career took off as soon as he switched to 12 permenantly, and it's where his attreibutes are best utilised as he has the power to bosh it up aswell as the vision and distribution skills to release the backs. His kicking as always useful from 12 and his defensive qualities come to the fore.

Why do you say that 10 would be an easier position for him to pick up from again Cymro? It's one of the toughest positions on the pitch, with arguably the most pressure too. He's a 12, always has been, always will be in my eyes.

Sitting in at 10 will make him learn again the game, what you got to realise he won't be heading straight back into an Ospreys side. He will be forked out on loan to Swansea / Neath or London Welsh to gain some playing time. The Ospreys will want him to be challenged. I don't think at this current stage he could be considered to play at 12 for the Ospreys and that for Wales. He needs to learn the game again and at 10 he will learn it quicker than any other position.

I see where you are coming from now. However I don't think he'll need to re-learn as much as you suggest. He's a naturally gifted player who'll remember how to play, but will need time to rediscover match fitness and get back up to speed. He should of course start with Swansea for a good few months, or however long it takes, but I still think that should be at 12 not 10.

i swear roberts hasplayed fullback and wing for cardiff a couple of seasons ago
if so he would be an awesome wing i think and a good running fullback also would free up space for henson to play 12 (if he is good enough)

Yeh, Roberts started life as a fullback, was used as a winger when he broke into the Blues squad, then eventually moved to 12 for Wales when we toured SA a couple of years ago. Centre is probably his best position, as he lacks a little pace for wing (though he showed how easily he can finish in that position v NZ), I also feel he lacks a top class boot for fullback. He can kick, but I get the impression it's not all that accurate or reliable.

not sure if someone has said this yet but Henson has yet to return to training with the O's yet (with the core squad at least). I guess he's having more time in the gym (we all hope :D :D). I hope he'll return with the "International stars" when they come back in a few weeks. Would be nice just to see him train with the squad, let alone play. Gonna be interesting to see when/if he comes back how he'll fit in to the O's team, would be highly unfair to kick Bishop out (best player for ospreys this season imo). Can't see him going to 10 or 15 (agree with what someone said earlier about Byrne not being at his best this season- not saying he was bad, just very average).I see him being utility back on the bench first couple of games back, just to get "match fit". Is it fair to kick out youngsters like Gareth owen (who's shown massive promise) for someone who aint played for year and half (or whatever it is). Damn the Ospreys, got so many backs this season with addition of Fussel and young Irish fullback. I'd much rather a high quality argentinian tight head to contest/cover Adam Jones, but hey I aint the coach..... man i'm exited :D :D :D

Do you a favour ... jog on will you.

I don't think people do actually understand that Henson will have to go back to play somewhere ... it would be easy for him to settle back in to playing 10 ... if he hacks it then move him back to 12. I'm not saying he should not play 12 but to start back off it be easier for him to play 10. Remember Henson is starting over again and what he did in the past does not count.

Oh and regarding the newspaper ... its quite true people are influenced by what the papers say. If you read the post carefully you will find I never said that that your opinion was a journalistic one. So chill your beans.

Jog on?lol are you for real.Ill have my opinion if thats ok with you.I wont be chilling any beans either.

Jog on?lol are you for real.Ill have my opinion if thats ok with you.I wont be chilling any beans either.

As real as your last sentence ;) !

And for the record stop playing the I can't have an opinion card like many others who have come and gone recently. You are more than welcome to have your opinion ... it is after all a forum foe debate!

Latest posts