• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So will Ireland vote yes or No.
It's looked like yes thusfar in all the polls, but Jesus this referendum has been crazy divisive. I registered to vote specifically for this. The No side has employed scare tactics, appealed to the ignorant, thrown out the children card, whined about their right to free speech when presented with argument at every interval and played the victims whenever possible.
The Iona institute and their ilk are an embarassment to the country.
Have to say though, the hometovote hash tag on twitter is lovely.

Last edited:
TBH I'm surprised it is a vote anyway.

I guess the catholic influence meant it had to be.

The fact that we have a written constitution meant that it had to be so! Although yeah Catholicism had a big influence on it. It's certainly mobilised a whole range of people like never before.

Hopefully it'll be a yes vote in both cases today.

Nope. If you want to amend the Irish constitution you have to have a referendum. It's a good system, as it means that one extreme government can't completely knacker the country.

Constitutions are useful documents, you guys should consider getting one..

Aren't written constitutions what ex colonies use because they can't possibly manage without us?

Don't know what the fuss is about. When it came in England the daily mail made a fuss but otherwise it was done , dusted and forgotten in a few days. Going to a friends wedding in November. She's marrying her girlfriend no hassle, no fuss perfectly normal just got to stump up for a bloody wedding present. At least they waited for the world cup to finish I suppose

Don't know what the fuss is about. When it came in England the daily mail made a fuss but otherwise it was done , dusted and forgotten in a few days. Going to a friends wedding in November. She's marrying her girlfriend no hassle, no fuss perfectly normal just got to stump up for a bloody wedding present. At least they waited for the world cup to finish I suppose
It's cuz the UK is one of the least religious countries in the world: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Importance_of_religion_by_country

It didn't require an amendment and should have been done through legislation. Both sides arguing the rederendum have been awful. The yes side had a completely emotionally charged campaign whereas the no side came up with an awful lot of bull**** when the only point they have is that our legislation regarding surrogacy and adoption are completely inadequate and should have been reformed prior to this.

The whole thing stinks of a government that wants to gain popularity prior to election time.

The fact that we have a written constitution meant that it had to be so! Although yeah Catholicism had a big influence on it. It's certainly mobilised a whole range of people like never before.

Hopefully it'll be a yes vote in both cases today.

If disagree on presidential vote. I think 21 to low. Technically if it passes someone can start receiving a state pension at 28/29 if they did 1 term.

Current tallies look like the marriage referendum will pass handily enough. Something like 76% Yes in Dublin thusfar.

If disagree on presidential vote. I think 21 to low. Technically if it passes someone can start receiving a state pension at 28/29 if they did 1 term.

21 is the age that you are allowed enter the Dail. Technically we could have a 21 year old Taoiseach. It doesn't mean that we're going to have a 21 year old president tomorrow. It eliminates a certain type of ageism and the person still had to get the votes while it's hard enough to get a nomination. Michael Collins would have been dead three years before being eligble to be President.

21 is the age that you are allowed enter the Dail. Technically we could have a 21 year old Taoiseach. It doesn't mean that we're going to have a 21 year old president tomorrow. It eliminates a certain type of ageism and the person still had to get the votes while it's hard enough to get a nomination. Michael Collins would have been dead three years before being eligble to be President.

No because most parties have age limits on leadership. And again as a TD you need 2 terms to get some pension. I just don't think any 21 year old should able to be president. It's a different office to politics and it should be filled by somebody who's a broader experience of life and culture.

No because most parties have age limits on leadership. And again as a TD you need 2 terms to get some pension. I just don't think any 21 year old should able to be president. It's a different office to politics and it should be filled by somebody who's a broader experience of life and culture.

What about a 30 year old? That's the age which is much more likely to be affected. The person still has to win the votes and nomination as I said so if the nation wants the person to be our represenative surely they're ok for it? It's not going to be like any 21 year old can just decide to run for it. We've picked more eldery people before that and that has also backfired with the illness' etc that come with old age.

Eek! In the 'bar' we have a 'Politics' thread. Should we open a 'Religion' thread as well, and break all the taboos? ;)

All the guff being talked about poverty by the Tories and the right is making me want to cry.

The worst thing is people have forgotten the golden rules of pub talk.

You don't talk about 'A' or 'B'.

Mentally insert A and B, those who remember what they are.

It was Stalins paranoia that nearly cost Russia the war against Germany, he purged the red army just before the invasion cutting off the command structure costing the lives of millions of red army soldiers. He insisted red army formations fought where they stood enabling the Wehrmacht to encircle vast Russian army groups, it was only when he backed off and let his generals fight that the Red army started to win. You owe him nothing if he had carried on regardless you would be ruled from Berlin.

Are you so naïve?

I just now saw that our longstanding dialogue moved here.

I do not know so well that the English have a detailed answer, I will say that your knowledge of Stalin and the 1941 is a mixture of truth and propaganda.

If Stalin was paranoid, then why are you together with France could not win in 1940?;)

I just now saw that our longstanding dialogue moved here.

I do not know so well that the English have a detailed answer, I will say that your knowledge of Stalin and the 1941 is a mixture of truth and propaganda.

If Stalin was paranoid, then why are you together with France could not win in 1940?;)

With the greatest of respect what are you on about?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts