• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
General election is such a waste of everyone's time.
It'll probably end up with the Tories actually increasing their number of seats. Like do Labour think they'll be able to get a majority?
Their best possible bet is making some sort of super-coalition with literally every seat not-Conservative/DUP/Sinn Fein, and even that's only going to leave a hung parliament.

We could really do with a modern day Guy Fawkes about now...

I never understood why the death of Guy Fawkes is celebrated... instead it should be a day of national mourning if you ask me.
It would have been just as bad if he succeeded,
It's not like he wanted to replace them with anyone better

I never understood why the death of Guy Fawkes is celebrated... instead it should be a day of national mourning if you ask me.

Because he was Catholic and it fitted the English Parliament's propaganda at the time. Also the Church had been trying unsuccessfully for over 1000 years to stop people celebrating Halloween (they tried making it All Saints day but it didn't catch on in the same way as Christmas (Yule) and Easter (Eostre) did) so they stuck burning a nasty catholic day the following week in a hope it would be more popular.

so they stuck burning a nasty catholic day the following week in a hope it would be more popular.
It worked until under the last decade. The American's changed our minds.

It worked until under the last decade. The American's changed our minds.

Not sure about that. Always celebrated Halloween when I was kid in the 80's although the grown ups used to make a bigger deal of it than the kids. It is bigger now for kids which is good as I like taking my kids out .

Not sure about that. Always celebrated Halloween when I was kid in the 80's although the grown ups used to make a bigger deal of it than the kids. It is bigger now for kids which is good as I like taking my kids out .
I suppose I'm judging from when I was kid where it really was a nothing event.

Hallowe'en is now an excuse for parents to get their kids to beg for sweets and chocolate so they don't have to buy it for them;). Buy a cheap customs from Asdas and paint the poor feckers.

So it looks like a General Election can be crossed off the list of possible outcomes (for now), which if I'm not mistaken leaves us with:

1. Amending and renegotiating the deal with the EU which would involve overturning yesterday's 230 deficit.
2. Crashing out on 29 March with No deal.
3. People's vote on options as yet to be determined.
4. Extending Article 50 to allow the chaos to continue for up to another year, apparently.

Corbyn will now come under more pressure from Labour party members to push for no.3.

Seen it tweeted that...

Downing Street confirm Theresa May will not take no deal off the table ahead of talks with Jeremy Corbyn. Labour spokesman insists no "substantive" talks will take place until she does. Complete deadlock.

Sums it up nicely. Embarrassing shambles.

Seen it tweeted that...

Downing Street confirm Theresa May will not take no deal off the table ahead of talks with Jeremy Corbyn. Labour spokesman insists no "substantive" talks will take place until she does. Complete deadlock.

Sums it up nicely. Embarrassing shambles.

Guess that's because many of her hard Brexiteer toff colleagues think that No deal is a good outcome and if she takes it off the table then they might rebel against her in another confidence vote against the Government.

A shambles for sure. Now that she's immune from a leadership challenge for a year I can see her extending article 50 and kicking the can down the road for another year.

May saved by the DUPs votes

Getting her money's with that £1bn bribe

She has actually cost the taxpayer money with her miscalculated gamble to call a snap GE. People have gone to jail for a lot less. Democracy at it's finest and she talks about respecting the will of the British people.

May making statement at Downing Street at 10pm

Expect her to say bugger all.

Amongst the self inflicted nonsense in the UK, a tragic and seemingly overlooked reminder of the consequences of isolationism and of turning a blind eye to suffering.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-46880566

Helping people like this was previously considered basic human decency for more fortunate societies (many of them "Christian"). But now we'd rather talk hysterically about six folk on a dingy than about a dozen painfully avoidable child deaths amongst Syrian refugees. This is an example of the result of leaving refugee issues to neighbouring, impoverished countries with little infrastructure and turning our back.

I could go into the failings of Theresa May, the Conservatives and Labour as this whole mess has been made far worse by people playing party politics on an issue that was clearly never based around parties. May is mainly to blame for refusing to engage with anyone else, but others have not helped by constantly trying to undermine for their own gain.

At this stage I honestly see only two outcomes. No deal or Remain. There will never be a deal that will satisfy both the E.U and the U.K parliament. The E.U cannot afford to give us any kind of deal that looks good or is close to what we had by being in the customs union because then every other country will leave to get a deal they like. The E.U would collapse and it's the one thing that almost everyone in Britain refuses to acknowledge. They simply can't give us the deal we want, not because they want to spite us, but because if it looks in anyway beneficial to the U.K then they will face more countries wanting to leave. We backed them into this corner, but can't accept that we won't win. The E.U cares more about the E.U project and it's remaining members than it does about trade with us. Similarly the U.K parliament is never going to accept a deal that leaves us in anyway tied to the customs union because then they will be seen to be not delivering Brexit and as this guy puts it so well, it also becomes pointless as you have the same trading terms with none of the say in how it's run.
<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/vi...deos/10157128724076435/&show_text=0&width=560" width="560" height="315" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>

Another option being floated is a GE, this won't happen as May is too scared and the conservatives won't want her in charge and then the simple fact that Labour are unlikely to win anyway. Most likely result is a hung parliament again and so the situation will continue.

The only two options left now are no deal, which I personally believe could cripple this country when combined with our spectacular politicians who have led us so brilliantly so far or remaining because the simple fact is that Britain will not be better off. I think that to remain though there would need to be a second referendum to show there is public support. However if leave won again then I suppose we get everything that's coming to us.

Extending Article 50 has to be the next step now. I read EU would most likely agree this but only until July before the European Parliament elections. It would be in the EU's self interest to agree as they also want to see this whole mess put to bed.

I totally agree that May has wasted the last 2 years by not beginning with and building a cross party consensus. Conservatives would never win a GE with her in charge and too scared to let Labour and Corbyn in. So now it will be a lot more bickering and horse trading for the next 5 months.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts