• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Woke up this morning to #Istendwithjeremyandlaura

FFS they need to move on especially as its libel case he'll almost certainly lose....

Not strictly relevant to anything, but interesting nonetheless

It beggars belief that this guy is POTUS and if he gets re-elected in November? It's just not worth thinking about.o_O

You can make a very loose case for saying that in 2016 Americans didn't fully realise what they were voting for. Now there is absolutely no excuse.

You can make a very loose case for saying that in 2016 Americans didn't fully realise what they were voting for. Now there is absolutely no excuse.

Yes, swing state voters especially. Just hope there are enough who regret their decision in 2016. That and enough Democratic voters turning up in force In the right states, which I understand they didn't do last time because Of Hilary.

Given up on Trump supporters. They'll vote for him come what may.

I was watching a video where they mentioned Texas had slowly been getting more blue, even with voter suppression. If the blue voters are motivated enough, Texas could swing and that would be the end of trump pretty much regardless of whatever happens elsewhere. By extension it could be the end of the republican party as it is due to the demographic shift making that switch more permanent. Ultimately the core republican base is shrinking as a proportion of the total population and at some point the republicans are going to have to move away from only catering to the Confederate lovers.

I also saw that again Florida holds the key to this election. Trump can't win if he loses Florida. That's why they got all the PPE equipment they demanded.

If Trump does lose in November, apart from playing the victim yet again, and probably refusing to leave the White House and challenging the result, he will use the next 4 years doing the circuits around the US to appeal his base and probably go for POTUS again in 2024. That's what he enjoys anyway; he didn't want to do the work as POTUS. Just wanted the prestige of the ***le and attention/power to up his brand to line his pockets.

Unfortunately I don't see the guy going away even if he loses in November. And he needs to lose by a substantial margin in both the electoral college and popular vote for USA to totally reject what he stands for.

I am pretty sure I read Biden said he will stand for only 1 term anyway. He'll be 81 by the next election so unlikely to last 2 terms. So his running mate better be good as well, whoever she is. Also I am hoping Cuomo could be ready to run in 2024 if he can see he has the support/money to go for it.

edit: interesting interview with Mary Trump:

Last edited:
I was watching a video where they mentioned Texas had slowly been getting more blue, even with voter suppression. If the blue voters are motivated enough, Texas could swing and that would be the end of trump pretty much regardless of whatever happens elsewhere. By extension it could be the end of the republican party as it is due to the demographic shift making that switch more permanent. Ultimately the core republican base is shrinking as a proportion of the total population and at some point the republicans are going to have to move away from only catering to the Confederate lovers.

Huge problem on top of voter suppression is the amount of gerrymandering by republicans in areas that control. I'm sure democrats do it to an extent as well, but some of the lines drawn in republican areas are just absurd.

On the face of it this is an idea I think actually seems sound. Over 40's are generally the most financially stable segment of society whilst still being far enough from retirement to have a long contribution period. Ultimately the argument will be made that the older generation are being punished but that money needs to come from somewhere. In an aging demographic the burden must be shouldered by those who work and the youngest already shoulder a disproportionate burden compared to their earnings. The younger generation will then pay for it too when they reach that age.

On the face of it this is an idea I think actually seems sound. Over 40's are generally the most financially stable segment of society whilst still being far enough from retirement to have a long contribution period. Ultimately the argument will be made that the older generation are being punished but that money needs to come from somewhere. In an aging demographic the burden must be shouldered by those who work and the youngest already shoulder a disproportionate burden compared to their earnings. The younger generation will then pay for it too when they reach that age.

yeh, it's an issue that's got to be dealt with and paid for eventually. T. May completely messed up the messaging back in 2017 and frightened the life out of pensioners, the one group that come out and vote and mostly Tory. Just means those heading to 40 or are passed 40 atm have to be aware that once they hit this age their tax bills will increase probably via an increase in NIC charges, I suspect. That would affect employed and self-employed, who currently pay less NIC than employees.

yeh, it's an issue that's got to be dealt with and paid for eventually. T. May completely messed up the messaging back in 2017 and frightened the life out of pensioners, the one group that come out and vote and mostly Tory. Just means those heading to 40 or are passed 40 atm have to be aware that once they hit this age their tax bills will increase probably via an increase in NIC charges, I suspect. That would affect employed and self-employed, who currently pay less NIC than employees.

Reality is it has to start somewhere and there has to be a cut off point. Unfortunately majority will look at the immediate impact of higher taxes on themselves and not the long term impact of potentially better care when they are older.

Taxes are too low in this country anyway, and I'm in favour of higher taxes to pay for better social care - so on the face of it, I think it's a good idea.
However, the devil's in the details - and this government hasn't exactly earned any trust in that; and will probably just use the greater tax take and funnel to themselves and their mates, with any improvement in actual social care being almost accidental.

Taxes are too low in this country anyway, and I'm in favour of higher taxes to pay for better social care - so on the face of it, I think it's a good idea.
However, the devil's in the details - and this government hasn't exactly earned any trust in that; and will probably just use the greater tax take and funnel to themselves and their mates, with any improvement in actual social care being almost accidental.

This. Whilst I think taxes should generally go into a central pot and then be spent on whatever, linking some taxes directly with a certain form of spending can ensure that certain aspects of society must be wholly funded.

Just been looking at the 2nd round of self-employed support scheme...
It covers 3 months from July 14th (so too soon to tell for sure just yet, but then, not open for applications until August 18th anyway)
So the first round covered March, April, May; and the second covers Mid-July to mid-October
Nothing at all covers 6 weeks from beginning of June through to mid July - presumably explicity so that those businesses like hair dressers, massage therapists, restaurants etc don't get to claim for the missing 6 weeks (assuming their business returned to normal on opening - a fair assumption for hairdressers for example). Of course, they'd still have had the 6 weeks of overheads, but hey, nevermind.

Now, I do think that the 70% is probably more generous than it needs to be (assuming no second wave) - but it looks like I'll be applying. My takings for the last 2 weeks (since Ali was allowed back) are down around 50% of normal (outgoings are higher in order to buy PPE, and the sheer quantity of cleaning products). Partly having to allow extra time between patients for cleaning and aeration, and partly as a decent proportion of the patient base sipmly aren't leaving the house yet.

Last edited:
I do self assessment returns for self employed so can look into that issue regarding
Just been looking at the 2nd round of self-employed support scheme...
It covers 3 months from July 14th (so too soon to tell for sure just yet, but then, not open for applications until August 18th anyway)
So the first round covered March, April, May; and the second covers Mid-July to mid-October
Nothing at all covers 6 weeks from beginning of June through to mid July - presumably explicity so that those businesses like hair dressers, massage therapists, restaurants etc don't get to claim for the missing 6 weeks (assuming their business returned to normal on opening - a fair assumption for hairdressers for example). Of course, they'd still have had the 6 weeks of overheads, but hey, nevermind.

Now, I do think that the 70% is probably more generous than it needs to be (assuming no second wave) - but it looks like I'll be applying. My takings for the last 2 weeks (since Ali was allowed back) are down around 50% of normal (outgoings are higher in order to buy PPE, and the sheer quantity of cleaning products). Partly having to allow extra time between patients for cleaning and aeration, and partly as a decent proportion of the patient base sipmly aren't leaving the house yet.

WT re: your query on payments for the self employment support scheme and what period they relate to. Below is from the Institute of chartered accountants for England and Wales.

What time period is covered?
The first grant is available to businesses adversely affected up to 13 July 2020, and the second grant is available to businesses affected after 13 July 2020.
The view that the first grant relates to March to May 2020, as mentioned in the original announcement by the Chancellor, has persisted although this aspect of the policy had been dropped by the time the direction was published on 30 April.
HMRC has confirmed to the Tax Faculty, that in relation to the periods covered by SEISS:
  • The SEISS grants do not relate to any particular periods or seek to replace lost income over a particular period.
  • SEISS is not intended to provide a month-by-month replacement of income.
  • SEISS provides a lump sum payment to support eligible self-employed individuals whose businesses have been adversely affected by coronavirus. The sum is calculated by reference to three months' average trading profits.
  • Individuals can receive the full grant under the SEISS while continuing to work as long as their businesses have been adversely affected at the date of claim.

No tax should be based on your age but I suppose just as I'm about to finish off paying my student tax they'd introduce another circumstance tax that whacks my generation and future ones.

This isn't me against taxes BTW they should be funded just the way they go about deciding who pays them, I don't understand why a 40 year old on minimum wage has to contribute but a 25 year old inherited millionaire does not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts