• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still find it hilarious that the new ones are being made by a french company.
I find it more funny the colour was never an EU law just a reccomendation and Croatia still have blue ones.

Only ever had a Burgundy one myself so feel way more attachment to it. I was on my Dad's 'blue' one but that was more black than blue.

I was quite happy to renew mine a couple years back and keep my Bui thiught of it too latergundy passport for as long as possible.
I thought if it too late, still got 2 years on mine

I'll be I quite honestly don't give a duck about the colour it's the loss my ability to move freely I mourn.

This is an interesting video, it starts off with a honestly fascinating look into Flat Earth and debunking it (he uses a jib near on a long lake to show the curvature of the Earth, the images are great). It then goes into the QAnon conspiracy nuts and some of the psychology behind the most hardened Trump supporters and why they can't be reasoned with.

Isn't Trump the only President in 37 years not to start a war?

Reagan- Antiga, Libya (bombing and attacking of Naval assets), Iran (attacking of Navel assets) and Panama
Bush - Iraq 1
Clinton - Somalia, Bosnia (bombing), Kosovo (bombing), Sudan (bombing), Afghanistan (bombing)
Bush jr - Afghanistan, Iraq 2.
Obama - Libya, Syria, Iraq 3 Uganda and Yemen
Trump - ?
(H Clinton - Iran)

I have not included any UN missions only military action led by the US. Trump did actually try and pull troops out of Syria and most people including many democrat's lost their minds. I have added Hilary Clinton at the end because she was pushing hard for a confrontation with Iran. In fact democrat's are more likely to go to war than republicans.

Why have you included Clinton with Iran? Wasn't it Trump that pulled the USA out of the Iran nuclear deal that was one of Obama's achievements? Dunno why Clinton would be pushing hard for a confrontation.

Plus Trump was dangerously close to starting a few with North Korea and Iran (on withdrawingon the actual deal).

TBH with ongoing efforts from previous administrations going back to Bush I think there is quite a lot genuine fatigue that there isn't just any political capital to start a conflict on a new

There's an addage that I heard on The West Wing dunno how much truth there is.
Republicans want a large military, and to keep it home; democrats want a small military, and to send it everywhere.
Simple idea republicans want to be able to destroy anyone who attacks them (hence the Bush wars) whereas Democratics have international peace keeping, interventionist prospect to thier miltary (what Bill Clinton was up to, and Obama outside the war on terror).

America hasn't been attacked outside already ongoing conflicts so Trump won't do anything outside of that. We've kinda been lucky in that regard because I do worry what he would do if provoked.

Why have you included Clinton with Iran? Wasn't it Trump that pulled the USA out of the Iran nuclear deal that was one of Obama's achievements? Dunno why Clinton would be pushing hard for a confrontation.
She was pushing hard for a confrontation with Iran when she was secretary of state as she pushed hard for war with Libya and Syria which she got
Plus Trump was dangerously close to starting a few with North Korea and Iran (on withdrawingon the actual deal).
Didn't actually go to war with either though did he?
TBH with ongoing efforts from previous administrations going back to Bush I think there is quite a lot genuine fatigue that there isn't just any political capital to start a conflict on a new
Really? The impression I get is the opposite, every time Trump tries to deescalate US overseas deployments he gets jumped on. Anytime a prominent member of the political class calls for an end to regime change wars they get smeared as Russian assets or worse.
Simple idea republicans want to be able to destroy anyone who attacks them (hence the Bush wars) whereas Democratics have international peace keeping, interventionist prospect to thier miltary (what Bill Clinton was up to, and Obama outside the war on terror).
Hold on the first Gulf war was a limited war to driver Iraq out of Kuwait which once successful finished.

The wars in Syria and Libya were regime change wars similar to the second gulf war. To say these were peace keeping or interventionist is stretching the facts somewhat.

She was pushing hard for a confrontation with Iran when she was secretary of state as she pushed hard for war with Libya and Syria which she got

Really? The impression I get is the opposite, every time Trump tries to deescalate US overseas deployments he gets jumped on. Anytime a prominent member of the political class calls for an end to regime change wars they get smeared as Russian assets or worse.

Hold on the first Gulf war was a limited war to driver Iraq out of Kuwait which once successful finished.

The wars in Syria and Libya were regime change wars similar to the second gulf war. To say these were peace keeping or interventionist is stretching the facts somewhat.
Thus the Nobel prize nominations.

Not matter anyone's personal views on Trump, he's got a good record if you're not looking for the US to be Hawkish

Thus the Nobel prize nominations.

Not matter anyone's personal views on Trump, he's got a good record if you're not looking for the US to be Hawkish
Yeah there is no doubt he's a bit of a mad man but for people to point the warmonger finger at him is a bit rich particularly if these people supported Obama and his very hawkish SoS Hillary Clinton.

Sorry had regime change in my original list, considered this 'interventionist' and thus repeating myself.

Was she though? I do think that's a tiny bit revisionism I think, I don't think the Iran deal occurs withing the same administration and a push for conflict.

I'll admit hes been very lucky especially in regards to North Korea which I think we can all see was a hair trigger from properly escalating. One of the stranger things about Trump presidency is his tendency to pick fights with 'allies' rather than 'enemies'. I'm unsure if this good diplomacy or just that Trump feels better about having a war of words.

I think you have have to look at the language he used when Trump tried to pull out of Syria and what happened. It was less 'how dare he' and more 'thats a really dangerous way to go about it' because he didn't care about the power vaccum he left behind. You'll probably remember Obama wanted to so a similar thing (actually promised much the same way as Trump did in his first election) then discovered wasn't quite so simple especially with the rise of ISIL but didn't want to risk destablising things more. Unsure about the Russia shill thing unless you count Trump because he pretty much is, well at least there are far more complex ties than are public.

Should sate I don't think he's actively looking for wars and I don't think he was with Korea (just not realising his words might have consequences, its notable hes not really done that since, and you can't treat a small guy with guns the same way tou treat a small guy with money) and certainly not Iran (that was anything Obama did = bad). My active worry in terms of commander in chief would be if something on the scale of 9/11 ever happened and how he would go about retalliation.

Isn't the point of those comics to highlight him repeatedly mocking war wounded/dead/POWs, not him being a war monger?

Didn't see it but apparently Ed Milliband tore Johnson a new arse in HoC today,

Also a Tory MP (and ex-barrister: Rehman Chishti) has resigned his role as one of Johnson's special envoys over their intention to break international law. Whilst it's good to see some Torys find a backbone/a bit of principal, any resignation will just get replaced with another Cummings appointee who will happily toe the line.

Edit: Sajid David has come out in opposition of the bill as well

Last edited:
Yeah I had a friend on FB say that Milliband was doing a good job.

Issue is while there is clearly Tory opposition is there enough to make a dent into the majority they have. I doubt it.

Glad to see the government has got it's Covid priorities right.

Edit: Link to how hunting and shooting groups are exempt from the rule of 6.

Seriously though a whole bloody meeting by the cabinet covid committee just about hunting...

Glad to see the government has got it's Covid priorities right.

Edit: Link to how hunting and shooting groups are exempt from the rule of 6.

Seriously though a whole bloody meeting by the cabinet covid committee just about hunting...
Its a sport... See no reason why it should be any different, despite the obvious attempts by Labour on the socials to stir up anger about it

Unlikely, especially as they'll abstain rather than vote against
Milliband and said they'd vote against? Or do you mean Tory dissenters?

Sorry there was thing going around yesterday saying Labour wouldn't vote this down because gotta throw shade at Starmer not going full anti-Brexit (a fight remainders like accept we have sort of lost nothing to be gained by trying cry for rejoining).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts