• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where Do You Sit Politically? Take the test here (and print out a certificate afterwards if you like), it took me about 10 minutes.

The hatred I have for this test as a politics student is actually immeasurable lol

Are you sure?
Maybe you just haven't found the right tool to analyse your hatred?

I doubted the test would portray my political views correctly before I took it. But it was accurate for me.

Another Civil war in the Labour Party between the Corbynites and Blairites? Hopefully all done and dusted with this whole Anti-semitism come 2024.

God its ******* depressing watching all the Corbyn supporters loose their minds over this. It really did become a cult of personality and I really hate describing that about people who in all honesty want to do good.

Be interesting to see how this effects voter makeup now.
Labour will be more appealing to the centre, but will lose large parts of their grassroots/youth movement - I imagine they'll probably win back more than they lose, though.

Greens will see a surge and do the best out of all this.

I'm unsure how useful grassroots movements are anymore. I'm also suspecting it won't obliterate the youth either Green's pollwed pretty consistently through age groups

FPTP also means you'll get a large precentage of disenrfranchised but pragmatic voters as well especially when you consider turnout around 18-24's is low compare other groups and there's another jump at 45. I suspect many will hold thier noses and vote Labout unless the Green's get massive uptick.

Plus its also important to remember member reflect a very small part of the population, as well as the heavlly poltically engaged,

So long term with Crobyn himself being the main factor according to polls to why not to vote Labour its going to be a gain I think, this is wihtout Starmer actually being overtly more right wing than his predecessor.

Short term is more complicated is Starmer strength within the Labour party big enough to withstand this against the members. The amount of memebers who voted for him plus a lack of an imeediate stalking horse would suggest so.

Theres also that 'what if' Corbyn sets up his own party and I don't know on that one.

Theres also that 'what if' Corbyn sets up his own party and I don't know on that one.
Yeah, I've seen that bandied about and the thought of it is pretty ridiculous.
In a way it'd be good if it did happen, because with Labour moving back towards the centre there's a lot of people who won't align with their views anymore and nowhere to go (bar Greens, which would be more of a "there's no one else, I guess" vote than anything).
Corbyn's got too much stink on him to be at the top level anymore, though - especially with this.

It's crazy because realistically this report should clean him - it's basically saying he wasn't anti-Semitic he was just a weak leader who didn't take a strong enough stance against the people in his party (it actually says he inherited a mess and did make improvements - just not enough). If he'd have swallowed that and moved on it'd be forgotten by the next news cycle - taking this stance has just got everyone saying he's been suspended for being some raging Nazi.

Starmer's probably buzzing, though - he gets his leftist purge without actually needing to purge. Suspend Corbyn for criticising the report, hope that sympathetic MPs stand down in solidarity: bish, bash, bosh. Sorted.

It's crazy because realistically this report should clean him - it's basically saying he wasn't anti-Semitic he was just a weak leader who didn't take a strong enough stance against the people in his party (it actually says he inherited a mess and did make improvements - just not enough). If he'd have swallowed that and moved on it'd be forgotten by the next news cycle - taking this stance has just got everyone saying he's been suspended for being some raging Nazi.

This is pretty important. From all the media reports I have seen and commentary on the situation, nothing explains it like this.

Yes he did not do enough, but he made it a lot better than it was previously.

It's perfect for the Labour party now as they want to win back voters, but for a lot a young people (like myself) it was Corbyn and his policies who get me engaging with politics on a national scale.

If I was wearing my conspiracy hat, I would say it's a perfect diversion tactic for the Conservative Party. With the Brexit negotiations ending in a matter of days and the fall-out from the free lunches, having the media focus on the evil communist Corbyn is great for them.

Not completely. There is still the political interference aspect from his office, for which he is directly responsible. Even if the majority of the examples are basically his office trying to expel Ken Livingstone, it shows that he tried to influence the procedure, which for me is getting into the area of corruption and abuse of power.

This is pretty important. From all the media reports I have seen and commentary on the situation, nothing explains it like this.

Yes he did not do enough, but he made it a lot better than it was previously.

It's perfect for the Labour party now as they want to win back voters, but for a lot a young people (like myself) it was Corbyn and his policies who get me engaging with politics on a national scale.

If I was wearing my conspiracy hat, I would say it's a perfect diversion tactic for the Conservative Party. With the Brexit negotiations ending in a matter of days and the fall-out from the free lunches, having the media focus on the evil communist Corbyn is great for them.
Hard for the conspiracy this report has been coming since before COVID....I think....the real thing has been when is it coming and why it taking so long.

I'd wait and see with Starmer and policies, I don't think Labour are to be as radical as they were under Crobyn in terms of sweeping change but I also don't think you'll see a pure Blairite one either something in between.

But yes this was very much a swallow your pride moment for Corbyn, he could of pointed out they did do stuff and agree they failed to do enough. All he needed to do was accept the report, sadly this was also expected of him as its how hes reacted to everything his entire poltical career. Its why he was loved by his supporters because he never compromised on certain thing but it mean when he really should of he hasn't.

Also on timing with the 'This Week in Tory' threads have proven its was always going to beneficial whenever this report got released because this governement is incredibly in inept and callous they can't get 4 days without creating a 60 point twitter thread about evrything they've done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts