• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
mrz042420dAPR20200424044519.jpg

Environment secretary: furloughed workers could be asked to pick fruit amid overseas labour shortage

Hilarious. All those British people should be chopping at the bit to pick patriotic strawberries

Hilarious. All those British people should be chopping at the bit to pick patriotic strawberries

Only those who voted for Brexit right?

Trump's strategy to win re-election. Play both sides:

I'm still lost haha... What's funny about it?
Very confused

Referring to British people voting for Brexit and now the foreign fruit pickers have largely gone home because of Covid. Well here is the chance for those British people who are on Furlough to step in. The type of jobs British people don't want to do and why we have foreigners from EU to come and do it for us.

I was thinking about countries like the U.k and U.S and it's the language which shows they are doing a bad job. Instead of being clear and precise it's vague and unclear. Any answer about the future doesn't commit to anything specific. Yes the U.K has its 100k test target, but even then it's unclear exactly what that means and what types of tests. Yesterday Matt Hancock gave absolutely no detail about increased testing for care homes apart from 4000 tests had been 'referred' for testing and they had spare capacity of thousands of tests and they will increase testing 'soon'.

Further they tend to focus on what they have done, rather than what they will do. They go into more detail about their achievements than their plans. Trump is the best example of this, but it shows he has little to talk about when it comes to what he's actually doing.

Finally I'm fed up with crappy political slogans and stunts to try and make themselves look good. Trump's name on checks. Conservatives still claiming they are following the plan and doing the right thing at the right time when it's clear they got wrong. Badges for carers when they don't even have protective gear.

One line from Trump struck me as interesting. "We've avoided the worst-case scenario." Conservatives have used similar lines before "there are other countries that are worse." Just because you're not the worst doesn't mean you are good. You can still be doing a crap job and have someone worse than you. Just look at Bolsanaro in Brazil.
Yeah like wmd lies etc. Look how many deaths that caused.

https://www.scotsman.com/news/opini...JWKE8wlI7CWRKhSdiYP3fxnNNBsaRAxW_sfLAaY2C7egU

Saw this on Facebook. Really good article and highlights how big an influence our media has in supporting the governments narrative that things are going well. I agree now is not the time to hold the government to account, but how people can think they are doing a 'good' job is beyond me. Yes it's not been as bad as it could of been, but that doesn't make it a good outcome or that it has been handled well.

Referring to British people voting for Brexit and now the foreign fruit pickers have largely gone home because of Covid. Well here is the chance for those British people who are on Furlough to step in. The type of jobs British people don't want to do and why we have foreigners from EU to come and do it for us.

The same should apply to the USA.

Also found this which is interesting. I know the Guardian can be biased, but it does highlight that science group advising the government didn't have experts from all possible fields that were relevant.

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...GBV-2YgdvrZCIFk_O3mHkrza0CIvSEuE_5yx7R6quFkl0

Didn't think much of that article to be honest. No one rational should give two f88ks about gender or racial equality on such a board - its all about competence - question them on that and that alone - leave the other fluff aside.

At that level of experience & expertise, all of those on SAGE should have been able to understand and do the fundamentals extremely well.

They didn't. They f**ked it up to degrees I can scarcely believe and I cannot even begin to describe to the forum*.

If I performed that badly in my job and put something fundamentally unsafe on an aircraft that then killed thousands of people - then I likely would face prosecution under professional negligence.

While such an action now would bring little joy to those bereaved, a serious examination of the makeup of SAGE - and of how advice from SAGE is (i)formulated, (ii)peer-reviewed and (iii)kept from the public needs to occur - and should probably start now - any improvements in its operation would be most welcome at the earliest opportunity. I believe with any kind of critical examination of the work behind the opinions that guided govt - the errors would have been laid bare and allowed for correction quick enough to make a real difference. I also firmly believe if the data were presented to the public

It also doesn't help that most civil servants and politicians - especially cabinet ministers - are so woefully incapable of looking at a scientific paper and understanding enough of it to ask the right questions. Its probably no coincidence that Angela Merkel has a doctorate in chemistry and Germany has had the best policies in Europe for dealing with this.

*while not in medicine, my background is computational modelling - so I understand enough to know just how fundamentally off they were.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts