• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A True hollywood dream!

T

Triniquint

I've watched Zulu, Gallipoli, Breaker Morant, William Wallace, Braveheart, The Patriot, and similar such films which always have the English as the baddies, and the heroes as those who break through after a lot of effort etc. I also saw on some forum or another that Hollywood are to make a movie of the South African 1995 World Cup win, coincident with Nelson Mandela becoming President, and South Africa's ANC etc.

However, a lot - if not most - of this is based on myth and legend, with no real basis in fact. For example, in Rorkes Drift (Zulu) although this was supposedly all Welsh, singing "Land of my Fathers" etc, this actually never happened. The regiment in question was the South Wales Borderers, but this was on the English side of the Border, and was actually the 24th (2nd Warwickshire) of Foot - an English regiment whose supply depot was based in Wales just across the border from Mercia, the English county from whence the Regiment came. Similar inaccuracies are inherent in all the above films, Braveheart being just a joke, really, although good cinema.

But something of this nature has happened in reality with our England team. They have been villified and laughed at; scorned and jeered; and the men from the Shires have made a fist and shown what the English spirit is all about. It is reality, and it has caused great respect to well up inside me. Even if we lose the final, nothing will shake this deep conviction that when the chips were down, the lads stood together. Who would I choose in a fight against the odds, when our backs were against the wall? Our England lads. No pseudo sophistication; nothing flash; just got down and did what was necessary. All the bitter and twisted anti-English sentiments are now fully understandable to me. Sour grapes. Jealousy. I understand the spirit of Agincourt now. I know why the Duke of Wellington said, on the eve of Waterloo, that you English may not scare the French, but you sure scare me. I've got it. Received and understood.

Utmost respect, lads. Finish the job. Walk the talk. Do the bizz.

Incidentally, I've had a lot to drink, although this has simply lessened my English reserve, and has loosened my tongue. Take it however you want. The truth is the truth and if you don't care for it, hard luck, and if I'm moderated for it, and edited, or cancelled out, or banned, then c'est la vie, as they say in Germany.......

The English team deserved to be laughed at & being vilified in the LAST 3 years because of their poor form and poor strategy ........not because they're English but because they're World Champions.

Being World Champions means you have to live up to it. You play to a standard that's expected from you.

But given that they've proven everyone wrong and are on the verge of claiming a back-to-back ***le, credit must be given to where credit is due.

Congratulations to all the English players & management. Good luck in the final.

P.S: If you do win again and then become **** from '08 to '11 again....then expect to be ridicule and laughed at again.

Sounds like a bit of a whinge to me :) [/b]

Yes, we always forget how defending our country against the constant barrage of insults is seen as arrogant or whinging. How stupid in thinking that someone English could display a bit of passion as well. The *******.

<div class='quotemain'> Sounds like a bit of a whinge to me :) [/b]

Yes, we always forget how defending our country against the constant barrage of insults is seen as arrogant or whinging. How stupid in thinking that someone English could display a bit of passion as well. The *******.

[/b][/quote]

Mate, it's water off a duck's back...they can snipe and ***** all they want. They ALL want to be where we are. In the final with no pressure whatsoever, happy chappies without a care in the world. Line up the pints and sing it : Y'gotta know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em......

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

[/b][/quote]
Now you know what us Aussies and Kiwis have been copping since the quarters :)

<div class='quotemain'>

[/b][/quote]
Now you know what us Aussies and Kiwis have been copping since the quarters :) [/b][/quote]

Diddums.

2 weeks of cheap digs against an entire lifetime. I can see your point.

Stuey is right though - I'll be singing Kenny Rogers right up until kick-off.

Now you know what us Aussies and Kiwis have been copping since the quarters :) [/b]

Yeah but you guys had it coming 'cause of all the pre-emptive gloats & trash talk. Our only crime is to smile.

The English rugby team seem to have got a great balance between professionalism and passion especially when it comes to tackling - they just tackle and tackle and tackle and tackle. Pity the Eng soccer team fold so easily - Jose Mourinho for coach?

Interesting I think. Still gutted about the All blacks though. Should make an interesting movie.

Latest posts