• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Absolutely disgusted with members of the public.

R

Rugby_Cymru

Being that I work in a shop in the centre of Cardiff i, obviously, get the opportunity to meet plenty of people. Most of these are good people, well meaning and kind. The of course you get the occasional idiot, whether they're a chav, townie, upper middle class snob, whatever and you just have to shrug them off as something that's a part of Cardiff.
However, for 2 consecutive days i was utterly disgusted with people with which i have to share this city.

I'm sure you guys are aware that at 11am both today and yesterday (11th/12th November) there was a 2 minute silence in memory of the end of the war and to all those whom perished throughout.
2 minutes doesn't really seem that long a time, especially considering you're giving up 120 seconds of your time to think and thank all those who fought for us.
Evidently, i'm wrong in saying that.

Customers galore were walking about the shop, talking and browsing garments. The radio was silent except for the Big Ben 'gongs' chiming. Yet people continued to go about their way.

This morning i hesitated serving someone until the 2 minute silence ended. They stood and looked at each other and i shrugged my shoulders and looked away in quiet contemplation. They then decided to ask me about the 'Dan Carter kicking tee'. I had to look them straight in the eyes and say, 'SHUSH."
I continued to ignore them until the radio started the music again showing the end of the 2 minute silence.

Disgusted with the people in the shop i openly made my views known to my colleagues whilst many customers were in the shop, gesturing how disgusted i was that people wouldn't give up their time to take a 2 minutes silence in respect for those who died.
The manager proceeded to have a "word" with me telling me what i did was unprofessional...i therefore proceeded to tell him to go f*** himself.

I'm to expect a warning soon...

:ranting:

mate im fully in agreement with you, two minutes aint alot. although i think alot of people dont even realise what the two minute silence is for, such is the ignorance of some people.

I would have deserted my post for that two minutes and left your pratt of a manager to do all the sales.

What you did had great reason behind it, so good on ya!

I'm so glad people are agreeing with me, because i told my flat mate about it and he told me it was probably a stupid thing to do (both voicing my opinion and telling the manager what i told him).
I ranted at my flat mate demanding him to see my principles.

Cheers guys...

Well done mate!!!

I used to work in Marks and Spencer, and on several occassions have had to deal with Customers during 2 minutes silence, at one point I was sat on the till and I got Verbally Abused by an OLDER member of public, cos I refused to serve them, and as soon as they swore at me, I decided to stand sign off the till and salute. being of a military back ground I have always been told to respect those who gave their lives for our safety... Once the 2 minutes Silence was over, I walked away from the till, leaving the customer standing there... I then went and got my Manager, the Manager came over and apologised to the member of the public and then took me upstairs to their office and had a right go at me and put me on an official warning... I then took this to my union official and also to head office... soon got the warning revoked and the manager themselves was seriously told off and stuck on a warning...

Stand up for what you believe in... We Live in the Land Of Free Speech and if it wasnt for those men and women who have given their lives for us we would not be able to do the things we do today...

They shall not grow old,
As we grow old,
Age shall not weary them,
Nor the years condemn,
At the going down of the sun,
And in the morning,
We will remember them.

Good for you pal, bout time someone said something.

I had the same problem. A year ago I found myself in a Tescos in Harlow, Essex (yeah thats near where I was brought up, awful, isn't it?). Anyway was in the queue for the checkouts with Mum when the announcement came over the tannoy for the 2 minute silence etc.

And quite surprisingly (for a town full of inbred chav scum) everyone was quite obervant. Apart from a couple who were abusing the poor old lady on the checkout next to me REALLY LOUDLY about why she wouldn't serve them.

Anyway this kept on going for a minute before this huge guy (obviously a prop) turned round and said to this chav "Excuse me pal, but do you think you could SHUT THE BLOODY f*** UP AND HAVE SOME RESPECT ...please" right in the chav's face. The poor inbred scumbag had his face covered in the prop's spit and promptly, shut up.

The big man got a few pats on the back after that.

regardless of what the manager tries, run it up the flagpole and seek his supervisor, and explain what happened

it may not be professional in a store to snub customers

but its downright professional and dammning respectful in life in general

the problem today is time is against our past

for every year that passes, people lose touch of what they should be educated in, and why they are who they are

We have ANZAC day and i have seen as each year passes, less and less war vets lurking on the day, playing 2-up and the like.

A day will come when there wont be any left from WW2, which is what todays kids look at as evidence of our countrys past.

When they go, unless schools surgically input our history (ie make it compulsory), into the next generations brains, the kids will be wondering, why we have a day off, and why we march, and without the evidence (war vets with their badges and attire), as time passes, it will be more forgotton.

Sadly it appears this trend as already begun, with your occurence at your work....and down here the Middle Eastern chap that burnt the Aussie flag from an RSL.

Being that I work in a shop in the centre of Cardiff i, obviously, get the opportunity to meet plenty of people. Most of these are good people, well meaning and kind. The of course you get the occasional idiot, whether they're a chav, townie, upper middle class snob, whatever and you just have to shrug them off as something that's a part of Cardiff.
However, for 2 consecutive days i was utterly disgusted with people with which i have to share this city.

I'm sure you guys are aware that at 11am both today and yesterday (11th/12th November) there was a 2 minute silence in memory of the end of the war and to all those whom perished throughout.
2 minutes doesn't really seem that long a time, especially considering you're giving up 120 seconds of your time to think and thank all those who fought for us.
Evidently, i'm wrong in saying that.

Customers galore were walking about the shop, talking and browsing garments. The radio was silent except for the Big Ben 'gongs' chiming. Yet people continued to go about their way.

This morning i hesitated serving someone until the 2 minute silence ended. They stood and looked at each other and i shrugged my shoulders and looked away in quiet contemplation. They then decided to ask me about the 'Dan Carter kicking tee'. I had to look them straight in the eyes and say, 'SHUSH."
I continued to ignore them until the radio started the music again showing the end of the 2 minute silence.

Disgusted with the people in the shop i openly made my views known to my colleagues whilst many customers were in the shop, gesturing how disgusted i was that people wouldn't give up their time to take a 2 minutes silence in respect for those who died.
The manager proceeded to have a "word" with me telling me what i did was unprofessional...i therefore proceeded to tell him to go f*** himself.

I'm to expect a warning soon...

:ranting:
[/b]

if so, search for another job now and tell your boss to go f***. 2 of my 4 great grand fathers have done the WW1 (one was in cavalery at the battle of "chemin des dames", and the other got the feet frozen in the trenches) and they both survived (or i wouldn't be here today). so i'm with you as you were totally right to do so ... who do they think they are !!! if you work in a big company, then you should do the same as getof did -> go to see your boss's boss and explain this disrespect situation. you might have been unprofessional in that situation, where these ppl have been uneducated !!! they are all morons !!!

God for you. We WILL remember them!

And don't worry, your manager hasn't got a leg to stand on. If he does anything just make noises about taking him to a tribunal and telling the local papers (mention it to colleagues and watch the gossip fly), tell the media you are making a stand and you'll give the money you get to the British Legion.

Its awful how they're slowly fading away. We're all racing to try and get as much of their memories down as possible. Even the Falklands veterans look really old now!

My great grandads didn't fight in the Great War (too young) but in WW2, one Grandad was sunk three times in the Merchant Navy and my other Grandad was in the Paras and jumped in North Africa, Italy, Arnhem and the Rhine.

Its awful how they're slowly fading away. We're all racing to try and get as much of their memories down as possible. Even the Falklands veterans look really old now!

My great grandads didn't fight in the Great War (too young) but in WW2, one Grandad was sunk three times in the Merchant Navy and my other Grandad was in the Paras and jumped in North Africa, Italy, Arnhem and the Rhine.

[/b]

My Dad was in the Falklands.... My Grandad was in the Irish Fusilliers... My Great Grandfather was killed in World War 1....

Yeah I agree I've been at rugby games where they ask for a minute of silence and people just ignore it. Is it so hard to keep quiet for a minute or 2. Some people have no respect what so ever, they don't even know what the word means.

A good STFU normally does the trick.

We live in a world without principles or morals. We're so afraid to teach right and wrong that we're letting idiots grow up without any sense of boundries. What happend to western civilization? We're loosing the civilization.
One of my Grandfathers fought in WWII the other in Korea.

It's true that with the passing of time the lessons and legacies of the Great War are being forgotten, there's only 4 veterans left in France or something like that. However that is still no excuse for such moronic behaviour so fair play to you for standing up for your principles, you too Charlie. I also think it was a disgrace that there was no minute's silence at Lansdowne Rd on Saturday before the match.

It's true that with the passing of time the lessons and legacies of the Great War are being forgotten, there's only 4 veterans left in France or something like that. However that is still no excuse for such moronic behaviour so fair play to you for standing up for your principles, you too Charlie. I also think it was a disgrace that there was no minute's silence at Lansdowne Rd on Saturday before the match.
[/b]

well they are being forgotten 'cause of uneducated morrons interested by nothing more than "hey whats on tv tonight ?" !!! our society is loosing its principal because its becoming an "appearence" society, where the only thing that counts is what you look like, where a brainless blond top model could become president just because she has big boobs !!! silly

anyway we didn't get a minute of silence eighther here ... maybe 'cause we have ceremonies all day ???....

btw for those who wonder, my great grand fathers did have done the great war and got my grand mothers at about 40 ... thats why its not impossible regarding to their age ...
anyway thats why i won't forget and respect those minutes of silence

I don't know what other think but recently here in the UK I'd say it seems to be getting more high profile. I'd say more does seem to be getting made of it on TV and radio etc.

There'll always be some goons but the silence at the footy on Saturday was impeccably observed (and they aren't always at footy games). It was proceded by a spontaneous round of applause and followed by the all important roar.

SB

One thing thats nice is that the Irish veterans of the Great and 2nd wars arn't being forgotten. I think theres an Irish veterans association who takes part in the marchpast at the cenotaph.

At Worcester vs Northamton, 1 minute silence, impeccably observed with a loud cheer at the end of it.

It's great to see so many people standing up for what is morally right in this world.

I went to work today and had a "chat" with the bosses. Calmly i told them my anger towards what happened on Sunday and apologised for telling the manager to go f*** himself, but i said i was acting on my principles and my emotions were extremely strong.
They said they didn't want to give me a warning for what i did on shop floor, because they were "in the same boat" as i am...
The only reason they were there was because my manager had gone off crying to them telling them i had told him to go f*** himself.

My manager wasn't in the meeting, but i left basically with a slap on my wrist telling me not to insult the manager again.
I was somewhat relieved, but still infuriated that i knew i couldn't do anything about the idiots that were shopping.

My great granddad faught and died in the world war 2 and my cousin died becasue of an IRA bomb.
I know the 2 minutes silence are specifically for them, but i like to think of them as well as all the others and thank them in those few minutes we have.

Reading these posts really restores some faith in humankind when you read the messages you guys are writing.

Latest posts