• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

advice for 1st year lock

J

jammvp756

im 6'2'', 220 pounds, and have helped to restart a high school rugby program and this will be my 1st year of playing rugby. i was wondering if any veteran rugby player more specifically a lock but since i will also play mens league and prolly wont be a 2nd row player general advice would be good. thanks alot.

a couple of tips:

work on strengthening your lower body and core - squats, calf raises, deadlifts, hamstrings, abdominal muscles for scrummaging and body position/core stability - make the legs a priority and be explosive in your workouts...if you're going to be used to jump in the lineout work on your vertical leap - i.e. jump squats.

you should also do alot of mixed running - sprinting, jogging, walking - alternating the pace and pursue a general weight training regimen for your upper body.

Another lock training is doing what John Eales used to do and do vertical jumping!

e.g. jump as high as you can with both feet

another is attempting to touch the crossbar jumping

The best advice I can give you as a former lock is get as fit as you possibly can(quite obvious that one),work on the basics first.Scrums,lineouts and re-starts are where you have to dominate.Always remember that if you can get these areas of your game right you are doing your primary job. Anything after that is a bonus.

Latest posts