• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Advice on converting from Rugby League to Rugby Union

Jonny98

Academy Player
Hi everyone been looking for some guidance online and it looks like this place is the best site for that. I'm 19 to start off with and basically I've played Rugby League most of my life and it's a sport I really enjoy. However without going into too much detail I've had a couple of injuries over the last few years. one significant one and a couple of ****ling ones on the back of that. The Rugby League season is coming to a close and I've decided that I want to play some Rugby Union where there's a bit less impact and I can just focus on enjoying my rugby again and getting my skills and sharpness back.

Playing Rugby League I'm a hooker but have played a bit of back row as well. Hooker in league is completely different to union though. I'm not as quick as I was a few years ago but I'm definitely stronger particularly leg wise where I've worked really hard post injury. I'm roughly 5'9 and 87 kilos. Best attributes are probably my footwork and my passing but particularly my decision making. Weaknesses probably all the set piece stuff that I've not been exposed to before. I've developed into someone who's better creating space for others. Not so much of a kicker. I really love rugby, I'm obsessed by it if I'm being honest (both codes) so I'm excited to get back and hopefully stay fit.

Also although I hide it alright I've suffered from social anxiety in the past. I'm not the loudest so joining a new club full of grown men who've played all their lives won't be the easiest thing. Trying to get my stamina up a bit on the go but feel like I'm getting there.

So yeah sorry for the long post but I'd feel more confident getting this out there before I turn up to training next week. Thanks beforehand both for reading and hopefully replying.

Last edited:

Latest posts