• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

advice will be much appreciated

GeorgeG

Academy Player
Country Flag
Great Britain
Club or Nation
Leeds Rhinos
right i know you get so many of these but im going to write one anyways. im 5.8 weigh about 12 stone. pretty quick when i need to be got a good pass and a good kick but i havnt played rugby since school where i was about 15st and that was 5/6 years ago. im 23 now and want to join my uni team. although Leeds Met uni rugby is at a very high level so dont believe il even get a shot in the 5th team. now and over summer im going to head down my local pitch and just practice kicking and what not. i do landscaping so fitness and strength are pretty good already but have started to hit the gym hard

any other advice people can offer me to get fit and ready for the season approaching so on that first day back i dont look like a complete numpty.
what dates do training normally start?

cheers

oh big question... what position should i think about stating

Your height and weight would suggest scrum half to me, maybe outhalf. Work on you distribution off both hands and your kicking out of hand. If you're quick it sounds like scrum half is a perfect fit for you.

Try to play heads up. Keep an eye on where your 10 and 1 are and try to have an eye for the overlap and the like. Failing that, just put a bit of pace on you passing and play conservatively.

yer scrum half is what i had in mind. just got to get my opposite throw good. cheers for the advice

yer scrum half is what i had in mind. just got to get my opposite throw good. cheers for the advice

Well if it's not up to scratch you can just turn around and pass off your dominant side, there's no shame in it if it'll give you a better pass, especially if it's already slow ball. Box kicking is probably something to work on I'd say and just keeping your eyes open on the pitch. Scrum-halves get a lot of opportunity to dart off the back of the ruck so if you're quick off the mark (and if you're not try some general speed/acceleration work) you'll be making breaks in no time.

Hope this helps

you'd make a good scrum half considering your size and speed. you say you're also good at kicking and have a good pass so you're nearly there. it only took me a couple weeks to get good at passing off my bad hand by jogging with a mate so focus on that if you want.. but like Aedaphon said, there's no harm in turning to pass off your good hand. however, there's a lot of tactics and know how when playing scrum half so maybe you should go to the trainings and see what it's like.

Actually I totally forgot this but remember (if you are going for SH) that you've got to be LOUD

Scrum-Halves should never be afraid to shout at their forwards and even shove them into rucks when needed. They may occasionally hate you for it but scrum-halves are necessarily the loudest men on the pitch. If that's not naturally you I wouldn't worry, but even if it's affected it'll help you get quick ball and it can't hurt when it comes to getting you noticed by the coaches :p

Actually I totally forgot this but remember (if you are going for SH) that you've got to be LOUD

Scrum-Halves should never be afraid to shout at their forwards and even shove them into rucks when needed. They may occasionally hate you for it but scrum-halves are necessarily the loudest men on the pitch. If that's not naturally you I wouldn't worry, but even if it's affected it'll help you get quick ball and it can't hurt when it comes to getting you noticed by the coaches :p

lol yeah i'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet. just be real ANNOYING!

Well if it's not up to scratch you can just turn around and pass off your dominant side, there's no shame in it if it'll give you a better pass, especially if it's already slow ball. Box kicking is probably something to work on I'd say and just keeping your eyes open on the pitch. Scrum-halves get a lot of opportunity to dart off the back of the ruck so if you're quick off the mark (and if you're not try some general speed/acceleration work) you'll be making breaks in no time.

Hope this helps
I play blindside and I would make you pay with blood if you tried something like this. Experienced 9's have their feet in position before they even touch the ball because they understand how important it is to get the ball out as quickly as possible(at a scrum). It may seem easier to just turn around in the beginning, but you're eventually going to run into a wily set of loosies who will batter you senseless if you don't address the problem early on.

I play blindside and I would make you pay with blood if you tried something like this. Experienced 9's have their feet in position before they even touch the ball because they understand how important it is to get the ball out as quickly as possible(at a scrum). It may seem easier to just turn around in the beginning, but you're eventually going to run into a wily set of loosies who will batter you senseless if you don't address the problem early on.

And I always wondered why flankers had a reputation as psychopaths :lol:

And I always wondered why flankers had a reputation as psychopaths :lol:

Part of the job description...good flankers look for opportunities to harass, disrupt and destroy. We must accumulate the lions share of tackles, we are held personally responsible for retaining/regaining possession(whichever applies) at the breakdown and are generally regarded as pests by the opposition...if we are doing our jobs correctly that is.

Part of the job description...good flankers look for opportunities to harass, disrupt and destroy. We must accumulate the lions share of tackles, we are held personally responsible for retaining/regaining possession(whichever applies) at the breakdown and are generally regarded as pests by the opposition...if we are doing our jobs correctly that is.

Hah don't worry, I've come to expect it, I've played no.8 alongside my fair share of headcases in the back row. I just find it funny that flankers tend to fall into two categories (and this is a quote from somewhere but can't remember where to save my life): flankers are either the ones that were too slow, too big, not good enough hands or too ugly to be back or just plain mental.

im one of the loudest (probably annoying) people i know so should fit very well...

Yeh to play 9 you'll really have to work on passing off your weaker hand.

Latest posts