• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

AFL Final

W

Wally

Last night Port Adelaide won by a goal in an epic semi-final clash with Saint Kilda, which saw the leader of the game change 13 times.

The Power will now meet the winner of Saturday night's Geelong-Brisbane Lions preliminary final at the MCG in next week's grand final, as the most successful club in South Australian history attempts to win its first AFL premiership.

Port Adelaide: 4.0, 8.3, 10.8, 14.10 (94)
St Kilda: 4.5, 7.5, 10.9, 13.10 (88)

Goals: Port Adelaide: Tredrea 3, Lade 2, Wanganeen 2, James, K Cornes, Carr, Cassisi, Dew, Mahoney, Brogan
St Kilda: Gehrig 5, Riewoldt 3, Ball 2, Dal Santo, Voss, Black
Best: Port Adelaide: James, K Cornes, Wilson, Tredrea, P Burgoyne, Wanganeen
St Kilda: Riewoldt, Powell, Harvey, Gehrig, Thompson, Hayes
Injuries: Port Adelaide: TBC
St Kilda: TBC
Changes: St Kilda: Hamill (knee) replaced in selected side by Knobel
Reports: Nil
Umpires: Allen, McLaren, McInerney
Crowd: 46,978 at AAMI Stadium

085042au.jpg

The Brisbane Lions' quest for a record-equalling fourth premiership remains on track after defeating Geelong by nine points in a preliminary final classic at the MCG on Saturday night.

It was an exhilarating contest, every bit as good as the Port Adelaide-St Kilda thriller the night before, with both sides trading blows throughout a see-sawing four quarters and the match remaining in the balance with only minutes remaining.

The 12.12 (84) to 10.15 (75) result sets up a historic grand final in seven days time - the first time two non-Victorian teams will contest the championship decider following Port Adelaide's breakthrough the previous evening.

Brisbane Lions: 3.3 6.4 9.10 10.15 (75)
Geelong: 3.5 5.8 8.12 12.12 (84)

Goals: Brisbane Lions: Bradshaw 4, Voss 2, Notting, Lappin, Brown, Lynch, Akermanis, Caracella
Geelong: Kingsley 2, Ling 2, Ablett 2, Gardiner 2, Chapman, Corey
Best: Brisbane Lions: Lappin, Bradshaw, Scott, Black, Johnson, Voss, Brown, Power
Geelong: Ling, Bartel, Graham, Milburn, Hunt, Corey, Mooney, King
Injuries: Brisbane Lions: McRae (hamstring), Hart (cheekbone), Lynch (leg). Voss (concussion), Brown (corked leg)
Geelong: Haynes (leg)
Changes: Geelong: Playfair replaced in the selected side by Moloney.
Brisbane Lions: Nil
Geelong: Playfair replaced in the selected side by Moloney.
Reports: Geelong S. Johnson reported for charging Luke Power in the second quarter
Umpires: James, Kennedy, Rowe
Crowd: 59,768

171672ah.jpg

Come on Ripper I know you want to post.. I was talking to somebody with a Northland avatar about AFL, you're welcome to post too buddy.

i didnt catch any games this weekend.
i was away at some 21st's in the lovely Hawkes Bay.
thats good to see the lions go well.
i dont know if they will beat port though, 4 times is pretty bloody amazing though.

Best team ever if they can pull it off. Does New Zealand get any live coverage?

Originally posted by An Tarbh@Sep 24 2004, 10:05 AM
What time does it start, could be worth getting up early for.
I think the coverage starts at 2.30pm (EST). I'll find out when the actual game starts for you.

2004 GRAND FINAL TEAMS
PORT ADELAIDE v BRISBANE LIONS
Saturday, 2:30pm, MCG

B: Michael Wilson, Darryl Wakelin, Matthew Bishop
HB:Adam Kingsley, Chad Cornes, Brett Montgomery
C: Kane Cornes, Roger James, Domenic Cassisi
HF: Byron Pickett, Warren Tredrea, Stuart Dew
F: Gavin Wanganeen, Shaun Burgoyne, Jarrad Schofield
Foll: Dean Brogan, Josh Carr, Peter Burgoyne
I/C: Damien Hardwick, Brendon Lade, Josh Mahoney, Toby Thurstans
Em: Stuart Cochrane, Brett Ebert, Damon White
No Change

BRISBANE LIONS
B: Chris Johnson, Mal Michael, Martin Pike
HB: Robbie Copeland, Justin Leppitsch, Chris Scott
C: Brad Scott, Michael Voss, Jason Akermanis
HF: Luke Power, Jonathan Brown, Tim Notting
F: Craig McRae, Alastair Lynch, Daniel Bradshaw
FOLL: Clark Keating, Simon Black, Nigel Lappin
I/C: Darryl White, Richard Hadley, Dylan McLaren, Blake Caracella
EMG: Ash McGrath, Joel Macdonald, Anthony Corrie
IN: Darryl White
OUT: Shaun Hart (facial fractures)

Betting: Port Adelaide (2.60) Brisbane (1.50)

007964ar.jpg

Who won? We got the game live here, except that it went from 8:30pm - 2:30am, so I only watched the first two periods (quarters?) as I had to get up early the next day. I have a basic understanding of AFL, but was the amount of punches being thrown in the part of the final that I saw indicative of what most games are like? And was there any particular reason that all of the Port Adelaide fans seemed to hate the Brisbane guy with the bleached hair and the dark goatee? Or was it just because he was on the other team?

I assume you mean jason Ackermanis, don't think it's just Aussie fans who hate him, he got involved in a punch up in one of the international rules tests and had to endure the rath of the Irish fans, well not really rath more pity as he couldn't beat up the smallest guy on our team.

I'd like to watch an Australian Rules match. Do you know whether there's any DivX available of such a match?

Will be watching the game tomorrow morning. Aussie rules is one of the greatest games ever! Anyone see the top 10 marks? The funniest thing in the world!

Looking forward to the compromise rules game

Yeah we owe the Aussies one after the last 2 series defeats, wouldn't hold my breath though with McGrath picking Seán Ã"g O hAilpín, a hurler who ahsn't played inter county football for 4 years and leaves out one of the best defenders in the country, Kieran McGeeney.

Disappointing that we couldn't get that fourth flag. Time for Brisbane to rebuild. Jason Akermanis was by far the best for us and almost lead a Lions revival in the second term. It was tradgic for Alastair Lynch to retire like that. He copped a 10 match ban and a $15 000 fine. I'm not sure what punishment Jonathan Brown received but I know he's attending anger management. That left hook was worth it though!

Is there going to be an IR series this year Tarbh?

Yeah there''ll be 2 tests on the 17th and 24th October both starting at 14.00 (23.00/2100)

Well if the 2002 series is anything to go on there certainly is the interest, over 70000 at the second test in atrocious weather conditions.

Latest posts