• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

All Blacks: Ben Smith vs Cory Jane

Ben Smith vs Cory Jane

• Ben Smith

Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Cory Jane

Votes: 11 50.0%

• Total voters
Huh. Is that what they're calling it these days? ;-)

It's the curls, isn't it?

das

I have 49 reasons I prefer to Doug Howlett, he scored 49 tries for the ABs, a team record.

Cheers

Ben Smith without any doubt.

It's hard to remember an all black who deserved his selection more and then went and justified it so well.

arguments that he's slow are false, I mean a couple people saying oh this guy dragged him off or this guy did once. Whole highlanders campaign is a highlight real of Ben Smith basically dragging everyone off. Linebreak after linebreak after linebreak basically from raw speed and energy.

The big difference for me is that for every really good test Cory Jane has he has a number of quiet games, Ben Smith simply does not have quiet games. he is everywhere, every game is the ben smith show. And for all his huge workload, his error rate is almost non existent. I mean what errors has he made in the 5 tests this year? (in which hes scored like 7 trys) one knock on in this last game when a ball was basically passed behind his feet. He always makes the correct decision and almost never makes unforced errors.

No back in NZ save maybe Dan carter has the all round skill set and impact Ben Smith has.

It's hard to remember an all black who deserved his selection more and then went and justified it so well.

arguments that he's slow are false, I mean a couple people saying oh this guy dragged him off or this guy did once. Whole highlanders campaign is a highlight real of Ben Smith basically dragging everyone off. Linebreak after linebreak after linebreak basically from raw speed and energy.

The big difference for me is that for every really good test Cory Jane has he has a number of quiet games, Ben Smith simply does not have quiet games. he is everywhere, every game is the ben smith show. And for all his huge workload, his error rate is almost non existent. I mean what errors has he made in the 5 tests this year? (in which hes scored like 7 trys) one knock on in this last game when a ball was basically passed behind his feet. He always makes the correct decision and almost never makes unforced errors.

No back in NZ save maybe Dan carter has the all round skill set and impact Ben Smith has.
impressed.gif

I agree with everything Larsea has said about Smith except, I'm on the fence as to who (if both were fully fit) I'd start.

I think you have to go with form so I'd stick with Smith until Jane is up to speed. However I think these two at their best are both top quality wingers (up there in best in the world) and I'm not sure ever the AB selectors know who they prefer until both are fit and both are given game time and a fair, current comparison can be made.

My hunch is Ben Smith but we really have to give Jane a chance to work his way back in and show what he has got. Remember before his injury he was NZ's #1 winger, preferred over Smith so......

I agree with everything Larsea has said about Smith except, I'm on the fence as to who (if both were fully fit) I'd start.

I think you have to go with form so I'd stick with Smith until Jane is up to speed. However I think these two at their best are both top quality wingers (up there in best in the world) and I'm not sure ever the AB selectors know who they prefer until both are fit and both are given game time and a fair, current comparison can be made.

My hunch is Ben Smith but we really have to give Jane a chance to work his way back in and show what he has got. Remember before his injury he was NZ's #1 winger, preferred over Smith so......
I agree with this too. And like our halfback situation, I would be happy with whomever plays/starts. But also like the halfbacks, I'd be inclined to keep the incumbent (Aaron Smith & Ben Smith) starting and playing and work the other one in slowly.

I agree with this too. And like our halfback situation, I would be happy with whomever plays/starts. But also like the halfbacks, I'd be inclined to keep the incumbent (Aaron Smith & Ben Smith) starting and playing and work the other one in slowly.

Yup me too. ALthough at this stage I think the call on half backs is much more straight forward. By the way on the halfbacks would be interested to hear peoples thoughts on Pulu. I thought he was a bit out of his depth starting for the Chiefs earlier in the year, but then certainly improved as the season wnet on (all be it offf the bench). BUT I've watched him play a couple times for Counties this year and have been hugely impressed. He seems to be on a fast rise and wouldn't be suprised at all if he is the next cab of the rank in a long line of quality half backs NZ has developed.

If you look at the South African vs battle Basson vs Mvovo

Oh god I want to hang myself
I liked Gerhard van den Heever in 2010. Should have played against Wales in the June test, but Div went with Basson and Odwa. Should have been given a shot.

Those guys deserve to rake in cash cuse once they retire they need to live off it. Steyn and Habana gave alot to SA and it would be slefish not to give him his dues. They will play for SA though. Just needed the weekend by their clubs. I notice Jean Smith is returning for Toulon as well

nahhh, still total BS.

i would start Smith at 15 and have Jane on the wing with Dagg on the bench, Dagg played his best in my optinion when coming off the bench for Mils, it would be a fixed gameplan, 30mins to go and Daggs fresh legs come on to rip everyone apart

I liked Gerhard van den Heever in 2010. Should have played against Wales in the June test, but Div went with Basson and Odwa. Should have been given a shot.

I've seen that Basson has scored loads at Currie Cup level, but see little special about him at international level. I'm not sure he is much more than a temporary filler until SA find someone better. How has the Ghanian Raymond Rhule been progressing lately?

I've seen that Basson has scored loads at Currie Cup level, but see little special about him at international level. I'm not sure he is much more than a temporary filler until SA find someone better. How has the Ghanian Raymond Rhule been progressing lately?

Decently well. Defence seems suspect at times, but he can shift alright. That's pretty much Basson, good at CC,mug not a standout even at SR. I wouldn't have traded him for any of our wings.

Ben Smith. In too much form at the minute, but come this time next year Jane will be back fit and hopefully playing well again. I quite like the look of Piutau as well on the wing too though...

Why has a topic discussing Ben Smith vs Cory Jane descended into South African SR wingers?

I said Jane, btw. For my money he's the best winger in the world.
Smith is some man, though. I could get behind the idea of Smith at 15, with Jane on the wing.
Only the All Blacks could have the problem of having to leave a player of Dagg/Jane/Smith's quality out of their starting XV...

I still think given enough ball, Savea is the best (or at least, the most explosive) winger in the world. We need to have sets where we have him running at pace onto some ball; whether it's from the middle channels, or some wrap arounds. Guaranteed to break the first tackle, and a supporting Ben Smith or Luatua on his shoulder isn't bad.

Most underutilised weapon the ABs have imo.

i expect to see savea get more ball in the coming fixtures, the fact is the AB's were getting around o'conner far to regularly and knew that given a sniff of the line bender would get the ball over the line...hense why they kept trying it and we have five tries in 2 games. I would imagin a better defender down that side would have resulted in going the other way

Some of you guys saying Dagg should be on bench and Smith for No.15. Dagg show the ability many times his very solid under the highball, provided with his good vision, thundering punts and dangerous counter attacks.

Once CJ returns I rather have him at No.14 then Smith.

My All Blacks backline when CJ comes back, which is probably next year in 2014.

9. Aaron Smith
10. Dan Carter/Aaron Cruden
11. Julian Savea
12. Ma'a Nonu (Needs to find an Super Rugby franchise)
13. Conrad Smith/Ben Smith (Ben Smiths provides cover over 14, 15, but I rather have him at 13)
14. Cory Jane
15. Israel Dagg

Well we'll have to disagree about Smith's speed. It's pretty clear he's isn't as quick as many wingers. He's been burned a number of times by players like O'Connor and Nanai-Williams - and no I've watched every Highlander's game this year and I've yet to see him catch an outside back from any distance behind. Even he's said he didn't think he was that quick during the AB's EoYT in 2009.

To be fair - Ben Smith had had quiet games for the All Blacks. His first test was particularly quiet - resulting in him not getting test selection for quite a while.

I think Cory Jane actually is a more skillful player to be honest - I haven't seen Ben Smith have any of the magic touches of Jane. Ben Smith however does have a fantastic work rate and is a very good all round player. The problem is some people tend to buy so deeply into the hype - that he can't touch the ball without it being the most amazing thing ever.

Well we'll have to disagree about Smith's speed. It's pretty clear he's isn't as quick as many wingers. He's been burned a number of times by players like O'Connor and Nanai-Williams - and no I've watched every Highlander's game this year and I've yet to see him catch an outside back from any distance behind. Even he's said he didn't think he was that quick during the AB's EoYT in 2009.

To be fair - Ben Smith had had quiet games for the All Blacks. His first test was particularly quiet - resulting in him not getting test selection for quite a while.

I think Cory Jane actually is a more skillful player to be honest - I haven't seen Ben Smith have any of the magic touches of Jane. Ben Smith however does have a fantastic work rate and is a very good all round player. The problem is some people tend to buy so deeply into the hype - that he can't touch the ball without it being the most amazing thing ever.
Sometimes, it's fun to get carried by the wave.

Yeah, Smith is more "deceptively quick" than being actually quick. Has decent burst but probably not the gears that Jaen or most other wingers/outside backs would have.

he missed two one on one tackles on O'Conner on Saturday, or are they not mistakes when it is Ben Smith? Seriously just because someone has scored tries doesn't mean they had a good game. He was pretty average on the weekend. When Mogg recovered that kick from over the sideline, Smith just stood there and watched him.. Another mistake.

He isn't slow, but neither is he fast, I've never seen him smoke someone like Nanai Williams smoked him. He doesn't have the ability to beat someone one on one either. He can break a staggered defensive line for sure, but put him one on one and he is no Cory Jane or Savea.

That last comment is borderline absurd. Dagg has a better all round skill set, notice who kicked the goal when Taylor was off? And who always slots in as a second punting option?

Latest posts